Author Topic: NEW TIE Fighter  (Read 44332 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NEW TIE Fighter
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2005, 01:07 AM »
The way the thing is packaged actually has it looking less wide than it actually is too.  This is what was throwing me off when eyeballing it in the box as to "scale".  Put together, it's quite nicely proportioned and you see the scale of it's much more accurate than it appears in the box.

The TIE Int and Bombers are scaled ships, so it's interesting seeing just how small they are compared to the Fighter but only due to the flat, large wings.  The Int's about half the height actually, but matches it in height by its length...  It's very interesting.  Shame I have more bombers than anything though.  I'd like 4 TIE Fighters actually, but not at $40 a pop. 

I'm hoping beyond hope that the 10k units is somehow false and that these things ship in such droves that a clearance is guaranteed.  Count me in for 3 more if they hit $30 and are easy enough to get ahold of.  It takes a LOT to get this kind of praise out of me for a Hasbro vehicle, but they managed.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2005, 01:22 AM »
Good pics JJ, now take one with the F/X X-Wing! Hah just kidding, no need to, cause I got me a TIE Fighter tonight. Thanks to Jeff posting the DPCI number, I was able to ask a guy restocking the shelves to check his scanner if the TIE was in stock. It was and sure enough he brought one out for me. The box was dinged up pretty good though, but no matter, when I get home from work in the morning I'm pulling this toy out and getting it setup next to the X-Wing. Woo hoo!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2005, 02:16 AM »
Very cool...

I'm afraid it dwarfs the FX X-Wing in my view...  X-Wings are fair sized ships for fighters, as far as overall area they take up, though they're kinda compact in the actual ammount of "steel" there is going on there, but anyway the TIE's bigger suffice it to say just because it's like a big cube basically.

Looks sweet though... 

I wish Hasbro would just do resculpted to-scale vehicles and charge appropriately for them.  Scale AT-ST, Scale Snowspeeder, Scale Y-Wing, Scale X-Wing...  Forget about the "big" things like AT-AT's, Sandcrawler's or anything that isn't even made yet that's in the "just too big" and simply put out definitive versions of the ships they CAN acheive something great on.  This TIE Fighter just makes me long for that.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2005, 02:54 AM »
JJ, So would you say then that the TIE's cost of $40 is justified?
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2005, 03:05 AM »
Hmmm, that's tough.

From a "business" standpoint, no...  It's a $30 toy at best considering the cockpit and all the "complexities" are re-used bits and pieces.  The solar panels are simple single-pieces of plastic so I think $30 due to the shelf space is sufficient and "fair".

I think $40's ok if you've got it extra...  It's kinda like VOTC figures.  I don't think they're $10 figures.  They're $5 figures on what I look at as $5 worth of packaging (though I disagree with that price being the packaging's value, but you get what I'm saying).  I gladly spent the fundage on VOTC though because Il iked the figures so much...

The TIE's great, it's fun to have...  It's probably a more iconic ship for Star Wars than anything save for the Falcon.  It's not $40 great, but the $40 only makes me know I'll get the one...  If I'm lucky maybe one or two more on sale, but I doubt I get another full price one unless I again find that I can afford it.  This was an early B-Day gift for me, so I was fortunate in that.  I don't have the $40 to blow on it right now but having it, and having it opened here, I know I'd have spent $40 on it if I did have it.  ;D

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2005, 12:00 PM »
Well I think I finally have the answer as to where my $30 Target gift card is going.  I just hope I can find it. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2005, 12:07 PM »
Thanks for posting the pictures Jesse! Now I know I definatley have to rescale my imperial base. :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2005, 12:56 PM »
A local collector friend named Broc got one on Friday at a local Target also. They were not in the back but he used the DCPI # and the employee told him you had to have it and ask someone to go get it if you want one. A couple of other collectors here have done the same.
I'm passing because of price. It would come down to either the figures I wanted in the last 12 wave, or this, or give up my Epic LOTR figures or this, and I honesty want the figures. Perhaps some day.
I still think with a limited production run this will sit on the shelf. I know I picked up a Skiff after watching it sit for awhile on a shelf with a couple of friends.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline DarthAcroyear

• Jedi Initiate
  • TI - 568, D. Acroyear, Callsign "Spartan"
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2005, 09:20 PM »
As a fan of all things TIE, I really hope that I am able to find one. Even if it is $40.00 plus tax.
TI-568, D. Acroyear, Callsign "Spartan"
Bloodfin Garrison,
Omega Wing Squadron

"I aim to misbehave."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2005, 09:32 PM »
As a fan of all things TIE, I really hope that I am able to find one. Even if it is $40.00 plus tax.

Yep, I agree - to me this looks like it will be worth the $40.00.  And BTW, weclome to Jedidefender, it's nice to see you here.   :)

:P

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #115 on: August 28, 2005, 09:40 PM »
I got mine yesterday. It is worth the $40, of course I'd had much rather paid $30 for it. :P If it had been $30 I'd be buying multiples. Not at $40 though. :(
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2005, 10:09 PM »
Glad you found one Ryan... out of curiousity, did your Target store have several of them, or did you get the only one?

Offline DarthAcroyear

• Jedi Initiate
  • TI - 568, D. Acroyear, Callsign "Spartan"
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2005, 04:34 AM »
Yep, I agree - to me this looks like it will be worth the $40.00.  And BTW, weclome to Jedidefender, it's nice to see you here.   :)

Thank you for the invite! :)
TI-568, D. Acroyear, Callsign "Spartan"
Bloodfin Garrison,
Omega Wing Squadron

"I aim to misbehave."

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2005, 10:22 PM »
Well, I broke down and bought 2 of these (big) bad boys. Yeah, they're ******* expensive, and there's no justification for Target charging that much. However, it was easier for me to justify to myself, since I don't buy 2 of everything to have loose and carded. Plus, I don't buy useless repacks.

And my collection just feels more complete with this fighter. It really does look excellent.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #119 on: August 29, 2005, 10:24 PM »
Glad you found one Ryan... out of curiousity, did your Target store have several of them, or did you get the only one?

I bought the only case they had, a case has 2 TIEs in it. I kept one the other is going to Matt_Fury.
"This is the way."