Author Topic: NEW TIE Fighter  (Read 43955 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: NEW TIE Fighter
« Reply #180 on: September 12, 2005, 02:24 PM »
I believe that all of them have that weird paint on the red blasters on the front.  Mine does, a friend of mine has one like that too, and I seem to recall seeing all of the OTC ones with the same paint application on the blasters.

:P

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #181 on: September 12, 2005, 07:45 PM »
Yeah, both my OTC and my new one have that cannon error deal, too.
"This is the way."

SilverZ

« Reply #182 on: September 12, 2005, 08:06 PM »
A question for everyone though:  I know I mentioned earlier in this thread that one of the cannons on my TIE was partially unpainted (one is silver with a red tip and the other just has the red tip on the unpainted blue plastic) and I wondered if it was a factory error on mine.  The other day, I was looking at the photos accompanying the GH review (presumably of Mike Sullenger's TIE) and his had this same "flaw."  Does everyone else's TIE have this same problem, and if so, is it really a flaw in the toy and not an accuracy that I just never noticed on the film props themselves?

I know that at least one of the earlier versions (the KB exclusive, perhaps) was the same. I remember noticing it and thinking that mine had an error, but it turned out to be by design, and every ship had the same paint deco.  So I'm assuming this is the intentional design, one silver with red, one just red. I don't get it either. I think it just looks wrong.

I think this calls for Jesse James and his infinite knowledge of all things detail and accuracy related.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #183 on: September 13, 2005, 12:49 AM »
Heh, I'm blushing at my respected nerdiness.  :-[

Anyway, here's a frontal shot from the film... 

I took the image from Tech Commentaries, which if you need an anal-retentive detail answered they've generally got the best info (if they covered the material).  They tend to try to "explain" things too in Earth terms without just having leeway for it being a film, having mistakes, etc., but they do inspect stuff closely so they're a good resource for that at least.

Here's what it says about the TIE Lasers:

Close-up views of the cockpit balls of a standard TIE fighter and a TIE X1. The laser cannons are the twin apertures immediately beneath the main viewport. The cannons on the X1 end in orange structures which were used on all the fighters based at the first Death Star. The laser cannons of TIEs in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi are simpler and colourless.

Now, typical anal behavior, they're trying some kind of explanation with it like it was a difference in fighter design between the films.  Obviously it's simpler than that and the vacuformed fighters in ESB and Jedi just missed some details because they realized the models from the first film had more detail, etc.

Anyway, it appears that no matter what, the new sculpt laser piece on the TIE Fighters has (it's modded from the vintage sculpt noticeably to remove the light-up feature) some detail flaws.  I didn't even notice this till it was brought up by you guys.  It's a little detail and looks weird if you stare at it, but I'd go past it pretty much.

I like the fighter though it's not without flaw...  If I were to review it I could certainly pick it apart for what they COULD have fixed for us for $40. :)  Hell, evne for $30 little stuff coudl get fixed just because, but $40 it was and I'd still buy a 2nd at that price...  Sad to say.    :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #184 on: September 13, 2005, 03:49 AM »
Wow, thanks Jess.  8) It's just an odd thing for Hasbro to have latched on to at some point and followed through with release after release. It just looks so... odd.

I found more of the TIEs on the shelf Sunday morning, and oh boy, it is impossible to pass up. I picked up a box, held it for a while, then thought about the price, winced, and put it back down. As I walked away, the thought of two accurately scaled TIEs flanking Vader's TIE popped into my head and I had to go back and get it.

So, that's a total of $120 plus tax Hasbro and Target have made off my weak soul. As much as I hate the price, I hope the positive that comes from this is definitive proof that OT vehicles, when done properly, can be successful and that fans will pony up the cash to buy them. This ship was a no-brainer and it should have happened long ago.

Now we need a Cloud Car now. Pack 2 OTC CC Pilots in and I'll be all over it.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 14, 2005, 10:06 AM »

So, that's a total of $120 plus tax Hasbro and Target have made off my weak soul. 

Well Jared, that's something you and I have in common. :-[
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 14, 2005, 01:42 PM »
Can someone clear something up for me?  Is this a Target exclusive or not?  I was under the impression that it's supposed to be available everywhere.

???

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #187 on: September 14, 2005, 01:54 PM »
Can someone clear something up for me?  Is this a Target exclusive or not? 

Lazy Canadians...  ::)

Isn't this TIE rumored to be a Target exclusive?  I thought I heard that somewhere.

I can't wait to become infuriated, I mean, shop, at Target for this.

Actually, yes - at the moment, it is planned to be a Target Exclusive item.  

Yes, it's a Target Exclusive...

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 14, 2005, 02:04 PM »
Well, then get your ass to Target and buy me one then.   ::)   :P

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 14, 2005, 08:01 PM »
Well, I went to Target after work today and there they were, 2 Target Exclusive TIE Fighters.  I put both in my cart, and off I went.

And back I came.  Out of the cart and back onto the shelf.  I just got pissed that I had to shell out $87 for 2 ships that should probably be in the $20-30 range each.  I hate Target and their stupid exclusives, their Target clones, lava this and that and those Target clones for $12.99 that they held completists hostage on.  They're really starting to remind me of FAO with these prices and their bull****.  I do not want to support them at all, and honestly, this ship is not worth $43 to me.

Screw it, I'm not buying it.

Oh, and why the 1995 TIE pilot is packed into a ship 11 years later when we got a sweet TIE pilot last year, is beyond me.  That just frosted the cake.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Tijuanajedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ay Chichona!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 14, 2005, 08:44 PM »
I agree with Rebel, **** Target & their lame ass exclusives.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 18, 2005, 03:34 AM »
Jeff was kind enough to grab one of these bad boys and send it in the mail today - I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 18, 2005, 10:50 AM »
I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Target said the same thing about your money.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 18, 2005, 10:59 AM »
I picked one up the other day and was quite disappointed.  Its going back unless someone on the boards needs one. The wings are much to wide IMO and all in all it just dont look right to me.  Plus the price is a joke :P

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 18, 2005, 02:01 PM »
We were shopping yesterday, and unless I am on the hunt, we don't shop at Walmart (only for SW figures). Anyway, so we went to 2 Targets looking for a new Pokemon video game for my son (not out yet). Anyway, at one Target I found 2 of the  Tie's and looked it over. If it was $20 to $25 I would have bought it. Not worth it at $39.99.  The next Target we went to, I found four on the shelf. I know one of the Toy Dept workers there and asked him how they were selling. He went into the back and said, looks like we sold about 6 the first week, but only 1 this week.
I believe in the end this vehicle  will do what the other Target exclusives have done; sit on warm the shelf. The initial collectors who want em have gotten em, and now the ones that are there and in the back will sit (an occasional one will sell still I beleive). Then we Target puts them on clearance they will fly off the shelves. Very typical of a Target exclusive ship. So I am willing to gamble and wait. I may be wrong and if so, no biggie as I really am not into vehicles. My son would like one, but like my wife said, "I'm not going to spend some $40 on a ship, that's a tank of gas almost." And that is my final point. I don't think  most kids parents are going to buy these, which will ensure these sit at the current price. 
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3