Author Topic: The Official Space Exploration Thread  (Read 230410 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Space Exploration Thread
« Reply #1050 on: May 31, 2012, 03:19 PM »
I hear next week we get two celestial events. June 4th is a partial lunar eclipse. Then on June 5th "There's a little black spot on the Sun today". Venus will transit across the Sun's face.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1051 on: May 31, 2012, 11:43 PM »
Thought Dale might find these interesting...

1:18 Space Figures By Dragon

Dragon's small scale stuff isn't poseable, but it's really sharply sculpted, and usually can be posed a little bit or parts are interchangeable.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: June 5, 2012, 09:17 PM »
Cool beans Jesse... Dragon make great ****!  I have the Saturn V & Shuttle from them, very well made.  8)

Happening now, the live webcast of Venus transit across the Sun

Not going to happen again in our lifetime.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: July 23, 2012, 06:58 PM »

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: July 23, 2012, 08:59 PM »
I was just out of High School when she first went into space.  I remember the media coverage surrounder her shuttle flight.  She was truly an inspiration to me as a young woman.  R.I.P. Sally Ride.   :(
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: August 5, 2012, 01:09 AM »
In just over 24hrs from now, the 7 Minutes of Terror will begin! Go Curiosity go!  8)

Touchdown is expected at 1:17 a.m. EDT (GMT-4) Monday, but it will take radio signals confirming the event 13.8 minutes to cross the 154-million-mile gulf between Earth and Mars. That translates to 1:31 a.m. "Earth-received time."

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: August 5, 2012, 01:05 PM »
I haven't really checked all the news channels, but has anyone heard if there will be live coverage of this available somewhere?

And, does anyone think this sky crane is going to work?  I'm hoping for the best but kind of skeptical.  The airbags on the previous attempts seemed more like a more solid method and less to go wrong.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: August 5, 2012, 02:15 PM »
I doubt there will be live coverage... but the Science Channel is airing a special tonight. 

Here's a cool read detailing the landing site:

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-me-nasa-mars-rover-landing-site-20120805,0,827905.story

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: August 5, 2012, 03:57 PM »
Ahem!  Live coverage will be broadcast!  ;)   

The space agency will begin its live coverage Sunday evening at 8:30 p.m. PT / 10:30 p.m. ET.

NASA TV Channel

Spaceflight Mission Status Center

Curiosity Cam, Ustream.TV

Video explanation of the 7 Minutes of Terror

The arrival of the Curiosity rover on Mars may well be the biggest, boldest extraterrestrial landing for NASA since Apollo 11 settled down on the moon on a summer's night in 1969.

This will be NASA's finest hour in space-age technology! God Speed Curiosity!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: August 5, 2012, 04:24 PM »
Sorry, I was confusing live coverage with some sort of delayed video feed from the actual rover when I said it was doubtful.

Yes, of course there is coverage from NASA.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: August 5, 2012, 06:33 PM »
Yeah, I know what you mean Rob.  When NASA had the lunar impactor mission a few years back, a lot of people thought they'd get to see HD video of this thing flying into the surface of the moon.  But it wound up looking more like black & white time lapse images. 

Sending a video stream over those kinds of distances is really prohibitive.  Satellites that provide video service are at an altitude of 23,000 miles over the Earth's equator, and you've got to have very precise azimuth and elevation adjustments in order to receive signal, let alone transmit.  Doing that from the moon, which is over 10 times that distance was a challenge in 1969. 

Transmitting live video from Mars would be even more difficult, and the problem is twofold:  precision delivery of the signal, plus the power that would be required to do so.  The space craft probably doesn't have enough onboard power to transmit video.  And that's likely why NASA muxes together their telemetry with data from the onboard instruments and still cameras.  It's a lot more efficient from a power standpoint.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: August 5, 2012, 07:20 PM »
Then again...

Lasers, Cameras and Particle Detectors: Mars Rover’s Super High-Tech Science Gear

From the moment the rover hits the Martian atmosphere it will start taking data. Studded in 14 locations around the probe’s heat shield are devices known as the Mars Science Laboratory Entry Descent and Landing Instrument (MEDLI). This equipment will provide information about Mars’ atmosphere and the dynamics of the rover’s descent, analyzing Curiosity’s trip to the surface and providing information helpful in designing future Mars missions.

Additionally, a special camera, the Mars Descent Imager (MARDI) will be watching the view as the ground rushes up at Curiosity. By taking high-resolution color video during the probe’s landing sequence, MARDI will provide an overview of the landscape during descent and allow geologists back on Earth to determine exactly where Curiosity lands.

Curiosity has plenty of eyes to take in the view on the ground. Perched atop its head is the MastCam, two cameras capable of taking color images and video, as well as stitching pictures together into larger panoramas. One of these two cameras has a high-resolution lens, allowing Curiosity to study the distant landscape in detail.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: August 5, 2012, 10:26 PM »
When I asked about live coverage I wasn't talking about a feed from Mars but more along the lines of the control room as info is coming back. I'm assuming they'll get some info as it approaches then, as the graphic says, after the landing they're hoping for a signla back.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: August 5, 2012, 11:26 PM »
Broadcasts will soon be live!

Jet Propulsion Laboratory Linky

Hot Wheels toy maker Mattel, Inc., says it is preparing to release a 1:64 scale version of NASA's Curiosity rover after it lands on Mars Aug. 6.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: August 6, 2012, 12:35 AM »
0431 GMT (12:31 a.m. EDT)
One hour, just 60 minutes from Curiosity touching down on Mars! The rover currently is 9,446 miles from the planet, closing at 9,572 mph.
At the landing time, it will be mid-afternoon -- around 3 p.m. local -- in Gale Crater. It is late winter there in the southern hemisphere, about two thirds of the way from winter solstice to spring equinox.