Author Topic: Open figure theatre  (Read 24179 times)

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Open figure theatre
« Reply #165 on: September 19, 2005, 09:42 PM »
I don't keep up with my vintage prices.

Are those the most expensive figures that have been opened exclusively for this thread?

those are all really common figures.   that sacul on the 1st page costs alot more.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 29, 2005, 09:51 PM »
Well, common sclommon.....

Welcome to the next episode.  Sorry for the lack of theatrics but it was fun enough just to open these.  The yellow tinge is caused by the energy saving lightbulbs I've foolishly installed.   ::)

Look who came in the mail today...

Nice cardback, but nothing special...

Bit of a wuss-out here, I needed the cardback intact for the pics I'll be putting in the vinty section after this....

Ahh, sweet, sweet freedom and a nice minty Jawa.  What's that beside him?  Oh, just the vinyl cape Jawa that arrived today.  No, don't have a heart attack, I didn't open up a VCJ, I just bought a loose one on ebay.  It's very nice and has an absolutely minty cloth caped friend now. 

Is that enough?  Nah, not yet....

Ooh, looky, a Droids figure and an Ewok.  Hmm, which one to open....

Thanks to stormie (Bob) though for the loose Kez Iban, free of charge for my collection.  A real nice gesture. :)  Ah, loose Kez needs a friend from the same series...

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrip.

Oooh, looky, came right off the cardback :o

Let's tear that bubble off the remaining, useless cardboard...

Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom [/Mel Gibson]

Until next time  :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 29, 2005, 11:09 PM »
How Gamorreans are born.

:P

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #168 on: September 29, 2005, 11:42 PM »
 :D

Great work Justin!
"This is the way."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 30, 2005, 03:13 PM »
Ok, this is my first attempt with Photobucket, so hopefully things work ok.  Anyways, not as creative as some others here, but here's my contribution to the thread :).  I had a little help from your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man....

Spidey shows off his latest find:

Now to rip into this thing....

What's with all the friggin' tape?

And now onto the plastic...

Leggo of him!

Finally, he's free!

Playtime!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 03:23 PM by mosnab »

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #170 on: September 30, 2005, 08:53 PM »
This thread makes me laugh and cry at the same time!
Great stuff everybody, I'm glad I'm not a carded collector  8)
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 1, 2005, 10:32 AM »
Thanks guys for those great pictures - we've got a pretty creative group of guys sadists at JD.   ;)

Oh, and thanks for those Spidey pics, Brian -- you gave me a great idea for displaying mine. 
« Last Edit: October 1, 2005, 10:33 AM by JesseVader08 »

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 1, 2005, 03:12 PM »
that is pretty die hard morbug.  i always thought the jawa was probably one of the easiest figures to get dead mint.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 2, 2005, 03:57 AM »
Awesome stuff guys!!

Good to see spidey getting into the toys as well.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 2, 2005, 09:27 AM »
It sucks when you don't have a digital camera to share in the fun and coronary explosions that this thread has probably caused.  :-[

That said, I'm sure the line-up of the Darktrooper, Spacetrooper, Sio Bibble, TC-14, R2-B1, Battle Amidala, CW SA Clone, Holo Emperor, Holo Sidious, R2-D2 with Holo Leia, Motti, Hooded Leia, and the Unleashed Stormtrooper hanging out in front of their packaging, discussing politics and the price of tea in China would be amusing, I suppose.  I'll have to see if I can swing that.

Great thread, Hemish!  :)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 2, 2005, 12:12 PM »
I've got to say that I'm a bit disturbed by the number of vintage figures being opened up here... Yellow Bubble or not, there are plenty of nice minty loose figures on Ebay.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #176 on: October 2, 2005, 02:57 PM »
Me too Rob, but I don't have a problem with vinty figs being opened when the cards are pretty beat up.

Now if it was a near mint card, nice bubble and there was someone on these boards who needed it.  That would just be mean spirited imo.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 2, 2005, 05:35 PM »
I've got to say that I'm a bit disturbed by the number of vintage figures being opened up here... Yellow Bubble or not, there are plenty of nice minty loose figures on Ebay.

this is kinda what i was trying to get at.  even for the common carded figures there are zillions more of them loose.  nobody here has exactly opened up a dt kenobi or esb offerless 4lom, but still just opening random vintage figures can't help the hobby in any way.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #178 on: October 2, 2005, 05:45 PM »
I'm sure it helps the value of remaining carded figures go up.  :P
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 2, 2005, 07:54 PM »
Hmmm, you guys must not do to well then finding vinty carded figures.   Look closely at the cards. 

As for finding good, loose vinty figures on ebay, yeah, they are there.  But I sure as hell don't have much luck finding them or getting hold of them.  I look very closely at pictures, I email sellers for better pictures and still I wish that for about 50% of my vintage loose collection I'd just bought a crappy carded figure to begin with.  I've bought multiples of numerous figures as I try to upgrade to something decent.  It doesn't have to have uber stiff limbs, just tight; paint doesn't have to be perfect, but I'd prefer to know about the teeth marks on the back of the figure ::); I'd prefer a legitimate vintage weapon, not a repro. 

And no, I'm not just buying the super bargains off there.  Hell, I paid a good price for a brown snake Yoda, just to get the frigging correct cane and sure as **** they send the wrong cane with it.  I'm still without the proper cane for my brown snake Yoda.  If I see a beat card brown snake Yoda and can get it for $30-35, you can believe you'll see pics of it being opened here. 

It's a pain in the ass - jacked up shipping fees because apparently Canada is on the other side of the universe ::)  Dishonest sellers shipping repro weapons or quite probably, figures that were not pictured. 

As for that Sise Fromm, look hard at the card.  The damn thing was so wrinkled it's soft.  I paid about the same, if not a little less than a loose figure is currently going for and that included the shipping.  I should wait and pay more for a figure?

As for hurting the hobby, I'm not clear exactly how that's happening?  I'd suggest while there are zillions of loose figures out there, I think everyone sort of underestimates the amount of carded stuff out there.  I think there are ample examples and I'm uncertain why opening a card pretty much no one would display is an issue. ???  I've got some beautiful trilogo cardbacked figures, I'm not opening those.  I understand the appeal of a M/NM cardback, really I do.  But stuff the average collector would be embarassed to have carded?  That can't be opened? 

Again, exercise your eyes and sharp vintage skills.  Look again at the pictures.  Tell me what you see.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2005, 07:58 PM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.