Author Topic: VH1's Best Week Ever  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
VH1's Best Week Ever
« on: August 3, 2005, 01:40 AM »
I only watch this show for a minute or two at a time, when I'm flipping channels and there's nothing better on--and I mean NOTHING.

I get so irrationally angry whenever I watch it, that I have to change the channel. Their "comedians" are such a bunch of smug, shallow, jaded douchebags. And they're not even that funny.

The last straw was the other day when one of their talking heads was ripping on the Narnia trailer--some crack about all these fantasy movies with British kids in them. I'm not sure if she was genuinely clueless or just being a pain, but the books were written 50 YEARS AGO. Sure, to some extent the movie adaptations are piggybacking on the Pottermania, but I don't see that as a bad thing if it gets them into theaters. I have a pretty good sense of humor, but that was just the last straw. >:(

I now officially hate this show. What a bunch of pompous dumbasses.

Thoughts? :-*
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: VH1's Best Week Ever
« Reply #1 on: August 3, 2005, 01:55 AM »
It's no, "I love the ___'s"...  Similar, somewhat, format that is substantially more funny.  That said, it's amusing at times and i watch it some...  The Comedians and whoever else is on it aren't ALL as fast as they should be...  Some do seem just ill-informed which makes them look more along the lines of stupid than funny.

Like the Star Wars one sticks out to me because I recall someone taking a crack at Star Wars (something that many comics feel obligated to do so they don't look like the nerd they are), and it just didn't fit especially with the film rolling along publicly with a popularity that none of the prequals had experienced...  The guy's joke just looked sort of asinine then, even though I'm sure everyone understands the, "Yeah, it's Star Wars so you have to make some joke about it..." kind of thing.  He still looked dumb, even to people who aren't fans of the films it seemed.

I love the 70's, 80's, and 90's are all great though...  I could watch the I love the 80's ones over and over, and I have.  Those are great.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #2 on: August 3, 2005, 02:20 AM »
Yeah, I like the 70s/80s/90s shows because you have some actually funny personalities waxing nostalgic about childhood and growing up. It's fun to watch* because the commentators are clearly enjoying themselves. On BWE I don't get that vibe at all--just a bunch of C-list wannabes trying to act cool and trendy.

* Except for that Michael Ian Black fellow, I hate him with a passion. He's not terribly funny, but mostly he gets on my nerves because he never laughs or smiles when he tells a joke. I really hate smug comedians that won't even smile at their own jokes. It smacks of "Oh, I'm so much cooler than you that I don't have to laugh." It's the same reason Will Ferell annoys me--but at least he's usually funny enough that I can forgive him.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2005, 02:26 AM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 3, 2005, 09:19 AM »
We catch the "Best Week Ever" from time to time, and I enjoy it somewhat.  I do see the point of them sometimes ragging on things just to rag on them.  I actually kind of disliked how they were down talking the Narnia trailer, as well as King Kong.  My wife actually said to me, "they don't think Narnia and King Kong look good?", to which I said "they just think they are being funny".  There can be some smugness to some of them, as mentioned.  Overall though, I don't mind most of the comedians.  Some can be pretty funny.

Definitely not as good as the "I Love the 70s, 80s, 90s".  I really enjoyed those when they came out, and still watch them when replayed every so often.  The 80s are my favorite as well, especially the "first batch" (more so than the "Strikes Back" batch).  I don't seem to see the 80s ones getting replayed very much, its usually the 70s though.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: August 5, 2005, 07:45 PM »
Yeah, I like the 70s/80s/90s shows

Now those were GREAT!  I just loved them more for all the nostalgia they brought up.  I'm hoping they stick those on DVD sometime, 'cause I'd love to grab a better copy than the **** I taped on VHS.  Anybody have any idea if those will ever get released on DVD?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 5, 2005, 10:47 PM »
It's the same reason Will Ferell annoys me--but at least he's usually funny enough that I can forgive him.

:o
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 9, 2005, 06:30 PM »
The 70/80/90's shows are awesome! I'd be cool if they had 70's on a 1-disc DVD for $20, while 80's and 90's, both having a "Part 2", could have 2 discs each and sell for $30. Anybody else like this idea?