Author Topic: The Official Space Exploration Thread  (Read 87236 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi Master
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: The Official Space Exploration Thread
« Reply #1215 on: August 21, 2016, 02:33 AM »
The trick with increased shielding is the increased mass of the spacecraft.  Launch operations and general propulsion are intrinsically tied to the mass of the spacecraft.  A magnetic shield may be less massive than shield plating with a traditional material like lead, but could potentially interfere with onboard instrumentation. 

The plan we came up with was to have a shielded room where the astronauts could retreat to in times of increased activity.
Peacekeeper, when it absolutely, positively has to be nuked in 30 minutes or less.  Or the next nuke's free!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: August 24, 2016, 05:06 PM »
CONFIRMED!  ;D

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/24/health/proxima-b-centauri-rocky-planet-habitable-zone-neighbor-star/index.html

So cool!  Am I correct in understanding light years that if we were able to see Proxima B, we'd really be seeing it as it was 4.2 years ago since it takes that long for the light to reach us?
"After Tuesday even the calendar goes W T F. "

Online Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • http://darby-harn.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1218 on: August 24, 2016, 05:16 PM »
That's right. Proxima B has a tremendous amount of pros going for it, and some cons, but it is a rocky world within the habitable zone of its star that could support liquid water, so LET'S GO!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
    • Vitamin
« Reply #1219 on: August 24, 2016, 10:57 PM »
I want to go to there.