Author Topic: #54 AT-RT Driver - Which one is the right one?  (Read 6123 times)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
#54 AT-RT Driver - Which one is the right one?
« on: August 16, 2005, 07:20 PM »
I just picked up a 2nd AT-RT Driver and noticed a variation on it. Now I've heard it brought up before, but I can't find any info on which is the correct version. The variation is in the paint ops on the helmet. My first AT-RT Driver has a less than stellar, but yet still fully painted in the front, "brown-green" face mask, all the way up and through the eyes. The new one I bought today has the "brown-green" stopping about 2/3rd of the way up and then is just white up and thru the eyes. So which one is the right one, i.e. the one Hasbro has intended for us to have. The packaging shows the scheme to like that of the 2nd figure I have, but you know the H, they're never one to do things totally right.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: #54 AT-RT Driver - Which one is the right one?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 07:33 PM »
So which one is the right one, i.e. the one Hasbro has intended for us to have.

I believe that this is the Error (released first) - the one with the fully painted helmet:

This is the corrected version (released second):

Or at least, the second one matches the paint scheme on the Driver that was packed in with the AT-RT and it matches the actual LF paint job.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 07:52 PM »
right...it matches the pictures that comes with the card, the second 'corrected version' with the white paint over the nose bridge is correct....They found the mistake early though....there's not nearly as many incorrect ones from the 24 or so cases I've opened with these.

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 07:59 PM »
Everyone seems to think the white one is corrected, but I don't see it. It looks to me like the brown one matches the CG character pictured on the package. The CG driver pictured in the ROTS Visual Dictionary also has no white vertically on the front of the mask.

What date stamps do you guys have? My brown driver was stamped 51571. Someone posted on RS that both his drivers had the same date stamp. I don't think Habro or LFL know WTF the right paint scheme is for this character!

I see the problem now... The brown does not conform to the CG image. He should have white between the eyes and nose. BUt the "corrected" version seems to be wrong, too. It adds the white, but puts white down the side of the nose as well. That's not on the CG character or the driver packed with the AT-RT vehicle. ???
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 08:08 PM by Ook »

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 08:13 PM »
Hah, in the time it was taking me to get a picture taken so I could show the variants, I got all the answers I needed. That's why JD rocks! Thanks everyone for answering so quickly, good to know which is the right one. Just for ***** and giggles, here's the pic I took, I really like this figure, I think of it more as a commando type guy than a vehicle driver...

Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 08:14 PM »
What date stamps do you guys have? My brown driver was stamped 51571. Someone posted on RS that both his drivers had the same date stamp. I don't think Habro or LFL know WTF the right paint scheme is for this character!

My pal has the "full brown face paint" with the same date stamp = 51571.  I have also seen the full-dark helmet with 51501 and 51851.

I have the white-top version and my date stamp is 51921, which is later than any of the "full face" paint versions.

Jeff

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 08:22 PM »
The "date stamps" on mine are:

Full paint on face mask - 51781

White Top on face mask - 51921

Jason F.

- FFURG Admin

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 10:00 PM »
All four of mine have the green faces. 

:P

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 11:31 PM »
How do you read the date stamps, anyway...? :-\

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 11:47 PM »
How do you read the date stamps, anyway...? :-\

The 1st digit = last digit of manufacturing year
The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th digits = day of the year
The 5th digit = manufacturing site

So, 51921 means:

5 = 2005
192 = 192nd day of the year (July 12th)
1 = Manufacturing Site 1  (every RotS Figures has a 1 in the 5th spot since there is a single maunfacturing site)

51921 = My #54 AT-RT Driver was manufactured at Site 1 on July 12th, 2005

Which is really amazing that it made it from the manufacturer to Wal-Mart in 1 month!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 02:03 AM »
That date stamp alone kind of blows a lot of the talk that it "takes x ammount of time to get y figure to retail" bull**** too I think...  I guess some fibbing for public relations was needed?

I'd like both the green and white head variants just for diversity's sake, however I've seen neither at retail yet.  I certainly hope one's not a total biznitch to find though, as I'd like a few of both.

How's that guy look on an RT?  I got a #6 Clone on one and he looks as good (or better) than the pack-in figure does.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 12:46 PM »
That date stamp alone kind of blows a lot of the talk that it "takes x ammount of time to get y figure to retail" ******** too I think...  I guess some fibbing for public relations was needed?

I'd like both the green and white head variants just for diversity's sake, however I've seen neither at retail yet.  I certainly hope one's not a total biznitch to find though, as I'd like a few of both.

How's that guy look on an RT?  I got a #6 Clone on one and he looks as good (or better) than the pack-in figure does.

With regards to how long it takes, don't forget that there is design time, sculpting time, tooling time, etc...

Sure it may take only a month or two to go from pumping out the product from the molds, packaging it and then shipping it to WallyWorld, but the lead-in time before that was much longer.

This is the BIG reason why the final 12 ROTS figures are ALL repaints, sculpting exists, tooling exists, all they need to do is fire up the assembly lines and they're good to go to have those 12 figures on the shelves by October.

I also wouldn't be surprised if these were rush-shipped from the factory as well. If you recall, end of July, beginning of August was VERY dry SW-wise at a good majority of WalMart's across the country. WM may have told Hasbro "Get us your product NOW" and Hasbro jumped.

Oh - one more thing - the AT-RT Driver fits on the AT-RT vehicle PERFECTLY. I have been tempted to get rid of my pack-in drivers and get two more AT-RT Drivers to replace them since the sculpt and paint ops on the regular figure is of course far superior.

Now if Pilot Obi-Wan only had hip joints like VOTC Luke and the AT-TE Gunner - he would be a PERFECT replacement for the Obi-Wan w/Boga figure!
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!