Author Topic: TRU Exclusive Clones!  (Read 16127 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: RotS Deluxe Clone 3-packs
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2005, 03:24 PM »
I can't say I'm heartbroken.

I can't believe that "awesome Clone 3-packs at TRU" story was anything more than RS rumor/speculation in the first place. 

They were the only ones who were really pimping that story when it first came out and now they can cover their tracks with a nice "I guess they were cancelled" line.   ::)

Through all of my Hasbro contacts, I was never able to verify that story, which leads me to believe that's all it ever was - a story.   :P

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: TRU Exclusive Clones!
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2005, 03:46 PM »
It sucks, but they probably would have been the preposed deluxe ones anyway.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2005, 03:47 PM »
Are you saying that the good old folks over at scum make things up?

I'm shocked, SHOCKED!!!

:P

But seriously, I do enjoy the Q&A, the guy is as accurate as the local weather guy here in Columbus.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2005, 04:21 PM »
Sometime people make mistakes.  I'm sure RS didn't just "make this up."  I'm sure they either got some bad info, or misunderstoof some info.  Big deal.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

SilverZ

Re: RotS Deluxe Clone 3-packs
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2005, 05:07 PM »
Good riddance, I say, if it was even true to begin with.

Me, either.  Although I do want to see the Utapau clones real bad.  Hopefully we'll get plenty of those next year.

Since Cody is on tap for next year, I'm hoping for a couple of things to happen when that wave (presumably a "Battle of Utapau" wave):

A) They repaint the #41 Clone again as a yellow grunt.
B) They create the alternate helmet design and include it in the package.
C) Pack them at 3 per case.

Of course, this would make sense so expect 1 per case of a #6 clone repaint with some EU paint things, like blood on the boots, ala the 501st Clone.  :-\

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2005, 07:19 PM »
Since Cody is on tap for next year, I'm hoping for a couple of things to happen when that wave (presumably a "Battle of Utapau" wave):

You know, as much as I like the idea of themed waves, putting a rather stringent "Battle of" theme on next year's line is going to end up leaving a lot of oft-requested things out in the cold.  The market right now is Clone-Crazy, and Hasbro should realize this enough to actually, you know, SHIP THEM IN DECENT NUMBERS even into next year.  I don't care if the first wave is "Battle of Carkoon"; I'd much rather ditch the Barada and (horrifically underscaled, if true) Chewbacca, defy the wave scheme, and throw an Utapau grunt Clone Trooper and more 501st Clones in there. 

Hasbro claims that Cody is definitely coming next year, but if you go by their "Battle" themed waves, there really isn't a solid place for him to go from what I can tell.  Many have said that the Coruscant wave would be acceptable (hell, they can put him in the Death Star wave and I'd buy it I want that figure so badly), but I think this "Battle" wave could end up pushing some interesting figures out in the cold so we can get that 19th recard of the CommTech Han Solo.

And Jared, I'm right there with you on the "Battle of Utapau" idea with one exception, and this would be my case ratio:

4 x Utapau Clone Trooper (#41 Repaint)
4 x Commander Cody
4 x Medic Clone (the one with the weird helmet)

Although, if they went with this theme, this is what we would get:

1 x Commander Cody
1 x Utapau Clone Trooper
1 x Obi-Wan Kenobi (ROTS #1)
3 x General Grievous (ROTS #9)
2 x Tion Medon (ROTS Sneak Preview)
1 x Utapaun Warrior (ROTS #53)
1 x R4-G9 (ROTS Sneak Preview)
2 x Grievous' Bodyguard (ROTS #8)

::)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2005, 08:43 PM »
From Pawlus' latest Q&A:

I am wondering if you heard anything further confirming or denying the above subject - just before Comic Con, there was word out that T.R.U. would soon be releasing 3 different exlusive Clone 3-packs, these being:

1/ 3X blue 501st Legion clone troopers
2/ 3X orange Utapau clone troopers
3/ 3X red clone shock troopers

Do you know if there was ever any truth to this report or was this just rumour? If accurate then it would seem funny that they weren't on display at Comic Con.
--Rhys

As with any number of items, nothing is definite until it hits stores. Numerous items get cancelled, delayed, destroyed, or just flat out never materialize all the time, especially in movie years. It's very possible Hasbro considered these items, but if they'll ever be released remains to be seen. I have never gotten a confirmation that Hasbro was developing these, but then again, they're not known for telling fans everything about their exclusive plans, and with good cause. As of yet, we still haven't heard all the 2005 Exclusives from what I've heard... if it's true, I don't know, but this whole Santa Vader thing sure as heck caught me by surprise! (Although if it's legit, I hope it has the "To Luke From Dad" Xmas package that the original artwork sported.)

(underlines added)
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2005, 09:03 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sad to see these get nixed, if they even ever remotely existed in the first place, that is.  What Hasbro should've done from the get-go was to just make these rumored sets, with the movie-specific Clones, instead of those crap Red, Blue and Green Clone 3-packs that we've been getting lately.  Screw that garbage.  If they're gonna hook us up with some massively underarticulated Clones, at least use ones from the movies...

I guess with some of the Battle Packs on tap though, maybe they thought it was a bad idea to pump more Clones out in yet another format at the same time.  Who knows...?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2005, 09:06 PM »
I find it odd that the only ROTS theme we know of next year concerns Coruscant, and not Utapau or Kashyyk.  If we don't get Cody, his grunts, and the medic, I'll be pretty upset.  And I think the theme waves concept isn't all that, too.

I'd like to see something like this, following the half new figures, half repacks/repaints idea:

Battle of Utapau wave:

Commander Cody (w/ the works)
Clone Medic
Utapau Priest guy (those tall almost Royal Guard looking guys in the background)
Utapau Little Dudes 2 Pack
Utapau Clone Grunt (#41 repaint)
Pilot Obi Wan repack (w/ a new robe featuring a hood)
Nute Gunray (ROTS look)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2005, 10:50 PM »
I'm glad their not coming out, I rather make my own custom clones (at my leisure) anyway.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2005, 11:57 PM »
Just as soon Hasbro and TRU worked on something else.  Take the gamble it'd maybe be better, as I know pre-posed figures in 3-packs are about as interesting as watching paint dry in my book.

I'd sooner see #6's repainted, even though I'd sooner see #41's repainted over the #6.  But I'd take #6 if it was all they could do, ya know?  Or I'd simply wait till a basic repaint of it got put out, but anything is better than the 3-pack.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2005, 01:00 PM »
I'm happy to see these go away as well, not only because of the rumor that these could be the limited articuation 3-packs, but because they would be exclusive and a pain to track down.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2005, 12:59 PM »
With so many other retailer exclusives shown at Comic Con, for these NOT to appear was an indicator to me that the story was RS bull$hit.

I mean, even if they didn't have the physical paint samples, they could have at least shown them in the slide presentation like they did with the Target Stealth Cammo Clone.

With the options that will be available to allow collectors to get both Shocktroopers and 501st Speical Ops Troopers, these sets were really un-necessary, except for the Utapau Clone design.

I'm a firm believer in the fact that the #6 clone will continue to ship, even throughout the assortments of the final 12 so eventually, even that figure will be easy to get. It's harder right now simply 'cause he comes only 1 per case.

The 501st clones are coming BOTH in the Jedi Temple Assault Battle Pack AND as a repaint of #41 - so if you want to build an 501st army you'll be able to do so.

If I had a choice, I would much rather be limited to these options then get these designed painted on the Deluxe Clone 3-pack statues. The body sculpts on them are pretty bad, especially the standing clone. It's bad enough they made four different versions of that pack, we didn't need three more.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2005, 05:27 PM »
Lostsa good ideas here from Jared and Michael...I'm glad the RS post clears this rumor or renegged on their statement ..whateva. At least that's that much more money I can save up to buy all these fall/winter store exclusives that I'm being force-fed :-\. Does anyone know if we can buy the Disney 2 pack through disneydirect Phone line. I'd like to not have to go to DL :(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2005, 06:18 PM »
With so many other retailer exclusives shown at Comic Con, for these NOT to appear was an indicator to me that the story was RS bull$hit.

I'm of the opinion that the story wasn't anything intentionally "lying" on the part of Rebelscum, but I don't believe these sets were as close to actually being done as was implied by them either...  I don't even necessarilly believe the idea was pitched.  I think Scum just got bad information and took the gamble it was real, and it didn't work out.  That's life and I'm just as glad these are off the table it seems...  Unless they were SA Clone 3-packs. :)

Anyway, I don't think Scum really lied, but I don't think this was ever a credible story either...  Just misinformation.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77