Author Topic: IG-88 variation???  (Read 3359 times)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
IG-88 variation???
« on: April 5, 2003, 11:07 AM »
Another possible variation I have found with IG-88...

http://www.chrisrhoads.com/starwars/ig-88.htm
« Last Edit: December 9, 2003, 12:09 AM by dustrho »
dustrho

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: IG-88 variation???
« Reply #1 on: April 5, 2003, 11:26 AM »
I have heard of the 2 variation colors of IG-88.  Both grey & silver. Not sure about the detail part though.
Maybe Thomas can chime in.

Check the variation guide:

Empire Strikes Back (Variations)
« Last Edit: April 5, 2003, 11:33 AM by DSJ™ »

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: April 5, 2003, 11:58 AM »
The first release had IG-88 molded in gray plastic. He has the same detail (no resculpts) as the second variation. The second had a fine glittery metallic coating applied to it. The details actually become sharper due to the highlights it can give off. Gray tends to hide detail because it's so dull and tricks the eye basically. If you say there is definitely less sculpted detail, then you have discovered another! But I'm telling you, it is seriously difficult to make a good call on this becuase the gray just dulld down everything. Keep them coming dustro, and you freaking vintage collection must be getting pretty freakin' big about now...
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #3 on: April 5, 2003, 03:25 PM »
If you look close enough to the pictures that I scanned, it seems clear to me that there is much more crisp-cutting detail to the figures with the metallic silver finish (versus the dull gray one).  The one part that is most different in detail between the 2 figs are the eyes.  If you look close you'll see a big difference.
dustrho

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 5, 2003, 03:50 PM »
Theres quite a big difference in the eyes.  Indented & non-indented. Just like the Tusken Raider with the Hollow cheeks.
I noticed there are more difference's between the two. Looking at the arms, just above the elbow, there is a line with a knob on it. The left pic has the knob raised & rounded as the right pig has it square.
I am also seeing that the spike sticking out of his head is longer on the right pic than the left pic. Maybe it broke off on the grey version?
Whats with the circle on his neck? Left pic show's it clearly & the right pic is barely there.

There is more difference's on the back of the figures.  
I noticed just above the elbow & just below the line thingy, the grey version has a circle & the silver version does not. Looks like where the arms attach to the sprue or were the plastic is injected into the mold. Same with the foot area. The grey version has the same circle & the silver one does not. Just inside the "u" shape of the foot.

Just thought I would add my views on a closer examination of the two.

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: April 5, 2003, 04:20 PM »
OK... OK... My Bad!

If you can just summarize all that into a variation description for the checklist, then I'll be on my way...

I have no idea what the deal is with the sculpt differences. I have never read, heard nor seen anything that is similar. It is especially odd because of the Hong Kong on both. At least we can delete that from the list of 'whys'. Maybe they did alter or define the sculpt with the addition of the metallic plastic coating...

So, dust', what are you doing now? Going square millimeter by millimeter with a high powered magnifying glass on an Ugnaught's apron to identify the fiber patterns and add a new mauve color variation to them? Just kidding. You are definitely a worthy variation/error enthusiast! I'll look into it some more and see what I can find out...

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #6 on: April 5, 2003, 04:26 PM »
So, dust', what are you doing now? Going square millimeter by millimeter with a high powered magnifying glass on an Ugnaught's apron to identify the fiber patterns and add a new mauve color variation to them? Just kidding. You are definitely a worthy variation/error enthusiast! I'll look into it some more and see what I can find out...

Thanks for the compliment!
dustrho

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2003, 01:53 AM »
Found some interesting auctions that apply...

Much like your figure on the left dustro, this one details rubbery legs, solid eyes and a 'creamier gray color...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3129936030&category=2475

this next one is for a 'hollow' eyed variation with wide stance and I assume a harder plastic. The color doesn't seem as metallic looking in the photo, but it is different than the above auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3129936289&category=2475

because the photos of these are at different angles and the lighting is pretty stark, the color and detail are a little less obvious. I'd say we at least have some confirmation to your contributions and it seems they are rather well known variations (at least to the seller).

hope this at least adds to the mystery or curiosity of this particular variation...

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2003, 02:51 AM »
For something so rare as the first auction it only went for $5.  Guess it might not be all that rare after all.
dustrho

Offline Billy Boy

• Youngling
  • "Target...MAXIMUM FIREPOWER!"
    • View Profile
    • My Webshots
« Reply #9 on: December 1, 2003, 10:25 PM »
I have four IG-88 variants in my collection!  ::)

The grey HK, metallic HK, grey/metallic Pal and the Tri Variant!

Tri IG-88 = http://community.webshots.com/photo/83783151/83851737lzZVci

Bill  ;)

Offline HWR

• Jedi Initiate
  • Finally I have returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 8, 2003, 05:42 PM »
I remember there was an IG-88 with black ring / bands on his arms up on Ebay a couple of years ago. The seller stated it was very rare and came with a collectors case, and as far as I remember he had a starting price at 100 USD. It was not sold if I remember correctly.

This variation was discussed at RS too, and I belive none of the variation collectors nor the prototype collectors" had ever heared of it before, neiter had the experts. So I guess it cas a custom.

Anyone else remember this figure, or have heared about it?

-Henrik
Collector of vintage loose Star Wars figures and variations.
Three time sponsor and presenter at the Celebration Europe Collector Track.

Offline Billy Boy

• Youngling
  • "Target...MAXIMUM FIREPOWER!"
    • View Profile
    • My Webshots
« Reply #11 on: December 9, 2003, 07:27 AM »
Hi Henrik!

I observed that particular auction too!  ::)

I strongly believe it wasn't an original release as only the very early ESB Kenner photography shows the FS figure with those black details?  ???

Hence I strongly suspect it was just a custom figure!  :-\

Bill