Author Topic: Study Habits  (Read 4851 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Study Habits
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2005, 09:48 PM »
I believe my Spring Quarter of my Freshman year I had classes at 12, 1 and 2 PM.  It was great except on Friday when everyone else was going home or starting to do other non school stuff and I had to go to Vector Analysis ::)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2005, 09:50 PM »
...and I had to go to Vector Analysis ::)

Nerd.  ::)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2005, 09:54 PM »
No doubt...it was my Sophomore year BTW, I ******* aced that class too.  I was seriously thinking about other options besides Engineering at that point.  Math being one of them.  I'm glad I stuck with my plan but I had serious doubts along the way.  My first quarter of Chem Engineering was absolute hell.  I think of the 130 that started there were only 50-60 left standing in the diploma line

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2005, 09:55 PM »
I ******* aced that class too.

Total nerd::)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2005, 10:00 PM »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2005, 11:56 PM »
And something else: try to keep a consistent sleep schedule, going to bed and getting up at roughly the same time each day. You can't concentrate if you're groggy (it's also dangerous to drive to & from school if you're commuting), and it's worse when your schedule is all over the map--10 pm one night, 1 am the next night, and so on. Find a pattern that works for you and stick to it as much as possible.

I'm still a frickin' vampire, to this day.  I've always hated getting up in the morning from the time I was a kid.[/size]

I'm the same way. But the part I was driving at was "consistency". I think you can get used to just about any unholy schedule, as long as you stay on it long enough to settle into a circadian rhythm.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 11:57 PM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2005, 02:34 PM »
Thanks for all the input you guys!!  I really really appreciate all of the great advice.  Reading up on this thread was almost an assignment in itself - you know who you are ;)

Day two and only one snag with my Comp1 class, but I won't bore you with how well/bad college life is going for me.  Maybe I'll chime back in a few months though just to let you guys know what worked best for me - if anybody really cares.

Thanks again everybody!!   
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2005, 12:34 PM »
And another thing: hang on to your paperwork, returned quizzes, electronic copies of your papers, etc. etc., until the end of the semester at the least. None of that should hit the circular file before the course is over and your grades are in. (Or maybe even longer, if you're like me and have a sentimental attachment to that stuff you put so much work into. ;))

You never know if the prof may have forgotten to enter your grade for an assignment and mistakenly think you didn't turn it in. In that case you can show the graded copy as proof. Even if you don't have that, you can print another copy and hope he'll take pity on you. Same thing for returned quizzes, tests, and so on.

At the very least, all that stuff is great reference when you're reviewing for a test or essay.

Also, don't be too quick to sell back your textbooks unless you're really sure you don't need it again. In a few cases you might need it again--I've used the same math book in two courses (using different sections) and I'd be kicking myself if I'd had to re-buy the thing.

And if you're taking a similar course in the same subject, you might want to use that textbook for reference/review even if it's not technically on your reading list.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 12:40 PM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2005, 04:54 PM »

DON'T Stay up till 5 am then wake up at 11 and decide class is over-rated and go back to bed

Allow me to reitterate that point. I pulled that crap today and probably missed a quiz. :-[
"This is the way."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2005, 06:32 PM »

DON'T Stay up till 5 am then wake up at 11 and decide class is over-rated and go back to bed

Allow me to reitterate that point. I pulled that crap today and probably missed a quiz. :-[

Remind me to kick your ass later Ryan.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2005, 06:40 PM »
I get to drop one quiz in that class, so if I had one today, that'd be it. That was my only reasoning for not going, otherwise I would have woken my lazy ass up.
"This is the way."