Author Topic: Anyone know the Target DCPI #s?  (Read 27303 times)

SilverZ

Re: Target DPCI Number Reboot?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2005, 01:23 AM »
Well, looks like my morning experience was an isolated incident. Several of the Targets I checked this evening worked just fine. Punched in the DPCI# and got the normal location and inventory display.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2005, 07:32 AM »
Talking with the manager at my store they have taken some (not all) of the systems where you can type the DPCI #'s in and disabled that function. So unless you can find a figure and actually scan it, the system will tell you that the # doesn't work.

Why - Don't Know
Will it go back - Don't Know
Inconvenience - HUGE!!!

The best idea I have come up with to help in the searching of the new toys is to have someone post an exact copy of the bar code of the figures and then we can print it and use them at the machines.

Resetting Toys -

I have learned that here in the Twin Cities that MOST of the stores are to have their toy departments reset by Labor Day. I don't know if this is to be a nation wide situation, but I would venture to guess that it would be. So look for the toy depratments to change in the next 4 weeks.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 07:38 AM by knashdx »
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2005, 09:26 AM »
Talking with the manager at my store they have taken some (not all) of the systems where you can type the DPCI #'s in and disabled that function. So unless you can find a figure and actually scan it, the system will tell you that the # doesn't work.

See - THIS is what I suspected, but didn't want to cry "conspiracy" after the train-wreck thread regarding the theft of Commander Bly...

I think that Target decided that collectors coming in with the DPCI numbers and getting stuff from the back was too much an annoyance and they put a stop to it.

This morning I brought with me to this same Target the bar-code insert piece from both Commander Baccara and Governor Tarkin - both came up as not in stock, but at least the system recognized the DPCI numbers.

When I typed them in manually it said "Item Not Recognized"

What a bunch of jerks.

So now - there's no way to get them to bring out the Stealth Cammo and Lava Reflection Obi-Wan & Anakin figures when they're holding them in the back for the employees and friends of the employees unless you get the barcode from them (which is impossible if you never have seen the figs in the first place) OR if by some miracle they've set up a peg for the item.

Well - one way that I think I'm going to combat it is I'm just going to take the peg tags for the Collection 1, Collection 2 and Deluxe figures, get them laminated and keep them in my wallet. If/when I see the tags again for the cups, battle packs or evolutions, I'll take them too and do the same.

There are ways around this issue - Target's not going to like them, as far as I'm concerned they brought this on themselves.

Disabling that functionality indeed.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2005, 09:29 AM »
In Columbus, Ohio 2 out of the 4 Targets I go to already did their reset thing and drastically decreased the SW section by over 50%.  Still they had ALL the new stuff so I cannot really complain.  They even had ARC-170s but of course no gunships.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2005, 09:33 AM »
Ok - so as I posted over in the Evolutions thread - I'm willing to scan in the bar-codes from recent items so we can build an image library of assortment barcodes that can be used in lieu of typing in the DPCI number. Here are the lines I can think of:

Collection 1 Basic Figures
Collection 2 Basic Figures
Target Cups
500th Vader
Deluxe Figures
Unleashed Figures
Battle Packs
Evolutions

If anyone wants anything else let me know here and I'll let you know if I can accomodate the request. Just so everyone knows in advance, I do not collect: Galactic Heroes, the [du]MPire turds, Force Battlers and Jedi Force so I do not have source materials to scan for those.

I have the inserts from the Vader/Ventress/Sidious+Yoda Unleashed wave here at my desk along with the collection 2 insert I was using today so I could scan them here at work to get this started.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2005, 10:30 AM »
Ok - so as I posted over in the Evolutions thread - I'm willing to scan in the bar-codes from recent items so we can build an image library of assortment barcodes that can be used in lieu of typing in the DPCI number. Here are the lines I can think of:

Collection 1 Basic Figures
Collection 2 Basic Figures
Target Cups
500th Vader
Deluxe Figures
Unleashed Figures
Battle Packs
Evolutions

If anyone wants anything else let me know here and I'll let you know if I can accomodate the request. Just so everyone knows in advance, I do not collect: Galactic Heroes, the [du]MPire turds, Force Battlers and Jedi Force so I do not have source materials to scan for those.

I have the inserts from the Vader/Ventress/Sidious+Yoda Unleashed wave here at my desk along with the collection 2 insert I was using today so I could scan them here at work to get this started.

Good idea Pete. Thanks.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2005, 10:52 AM »
I think that Target decided that collectors coming in with the DPCI numbers and getting stuff from the back was too much an annoyance and they put a stop to it.

There are ways around this issue - Target's not going to like them, as far as I'm concerned they brought this on themselves.

Target disabling the DPCI scanners is probably one of the dumbest moves ever by a retailer!

If Target's goal was to stop the annoyance of the employees, well then that plan is going to backfire - I'll see to it myself.

Instead of just punching in the numbers myself and only hassling the employees when I know they've got something in the back, now I'm going to hassel the employees every trip to Target because I'll have to go to the Customer Service Desk to have them look up the numbers.   >:(

What a stupid idea...   ::)

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

SilverZ

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2005, 11:35 AM »
Would scanning a barcode output from a barcode generator work?

I can test these tonight, unless someone beats me to it. Worth a shot?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 11:41 AM by Tydirium »

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2005, 12:28 PM »
My first thought when hearing about this was "I can't believe that Target is doing this."  Then after I considered it for a minute, I actually could believe they would do this. 

From what I gather, the DPCIs are only supposed to be known by the employees and the only customers who seem to come in with them are collectors from the various toy lines (like us).  I know that when I've walked in with a DPCI number before (our scanners only tell price, not stock status) and asked an employee about it, I've been greeted with kind of suspicious stares and once someone asked, "Wow, how did you know that number?"   :)

That being said, and avoiding any conspiracy theories, it's like Target wanted to lessen their workload and annoyance factor by removing the option for any customers, much less collectors.  Now they won't even have to respond when a person asks them to scan a barcode with their little gun thing, instead of simply sidestepping the questions.  As anyone who has ever worked in customer service knows, many employees like to avoid dealing with customers as much as possible, and this is just one more way for Target to do so.

The thing that baffles me about it though is that Target and other retailers will claim that they are doing this to give an "equal chance" to everyone who wants to get an item, but they do nothing to stop Comic Book Guy and his ilk from walking out with 10 of the same figure to support his Ebay "business."  How does that help kids get one, much less collectors?

SilverZ

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2005, 01:02 PM »
None of it surprises me, considering that Target is the least customer friendly of the big box stores, top to bottom.

It's unfortunate that they seem to be so important to Hasbro and get as many exclusives as they do. It's obvious that in their ideal world, they'd like to continue charging premium prices for sub-par quality collectors items and not have to ever interface with the collector, excluding charging their credit cards.

Its as if their corporate decisions are being made by people that two years prior were working cash registers at Tower Records. Their attitude just plain sucks.

They should just do an online Target collectors society, and automatically charge and ship every Star Wars exclusive they get. That way, they'd not have to deal with us, and we'd not have to deal with being treated like **** around every corner (or aisle) with them.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2005, 05:55 PM »
Jared and I are all over this sh*t...

Here are nice scans from the packages themselves of the Collection 2 and Unleashed figures:

I've printed them out here at work and I'm going to try them on my way home - if they work, I'll scan in the rest of the items:

Evolutions, 500th Vader, Battle Pack, Target Cup, Collection 1, Deluxe Figures, etc...

I may even scan in the Target Clone and Lava Vader ones - I'm pretty sure the DPCI number REMAINED THE SAME with those two - perhaps the Stealth Cammo and Lava Reflection Jedi figures will fall under the same DPCI as well...
Peter

SilverZ

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2005, 06:24 PM »
Yeah, **** Target. We'll show them.

Here's a WIP cheatsheet where I've punched the barcodes of known Hasbro UPC's into a generator in UPC-A format:

http://www.jedidefender.com/news/images/7-05/UPC-A_flat.jpg

Its just a thumbnail, but if these homemade codes work OK, I'll post a completed cheatsheet. I'll experiment at Target tonight.

I added the Lava Vader and Target Clone UPCs on to the sheet as well.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 06:26 PM by Tydirium »

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2005, 06:55 PM »
Ok - sorry for the heavy duty graphics, but here are some scans I completed today:

Hasbro UPC Codes:

Target DPCI Codes:

I've printed these all out from 300dpi TIF versions and I'm going to try them out. If they do work, I'll upload .zip archives containing those tifs to my AOL myspace or somewhere else that will host the files so everyone can download them, print them out and beat Target at their own game!
Peter

Offline cataclizm1

• Youngling
  • Star Wars, Transformers, Comic books forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2005, 07:58 PM »
Since I've seen the pics of all the new clones coming out, the target Clone looks like a big waste of money...Glad I never bought one. :)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2005, 10:01 AM »
Well - I used all of the scanned Target DPCI barcodes and UPC barcodes that I have posted recently at my local Target in Brick, NJ this morning and they all worked like a champ!

So basically, the next step is that Jared is going to help me get the hi-res versions posted somewhere either here at JD or on another site and we'll post the links to where you can download them from.

I was looking at this thread from my BlackBerry last night and I noticed how clearly the UPC BarCodes show up on the screen - I think my next "experiment" will be to see if I can get the Target price scanner to respond to a UPC BarCode displayed from my BlackBerry!

Also - over the weekend I'll scan in the UPC BarCodes for the BattlePacks and the Cups.

- Peter
Peter