Author Topic: New JD Review: Captain Antilles  (Read 7621 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New JD Review: Captain Antilles
« on: August 23, 2005, 10:11 PM »
Not a figure I'm pleased with but one I felt was at least a good contrast to what Hasbro's done RIGHT in the ROTS line.  This week I tear apart the Revenge of the Sith figure Captain Antilles for your enjoyment.

You can read the full review Right Here and of course feel free to share opinions with us as well.

My thoughts are pretty well known on this figure though...  I'm disappointed primarily in his lack of articulation.  He's not bad to look at, but he doesn't hold up to precedents in the ROTS line like even the Bail Organa figure most all of us would stand him next to.

There's some other flaws, but in the end I feel articulation is the major problem here.  Some knee joints and some extra arm points and I'd pretty much have given this figure a positive review.  At least as positive as I feel about Bail Organa as a figure. 

His Classic Trilogy Counterpart (I still say they're not the same guy.  They can't possibly be) is at least a pretty great figure short of some knee joints.  :)  He's more important anyway...  to me at least.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: New JD Review: Captain Antilles
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 09:40 AM »
Nice review Jesse... I was thinking of getting this but after reading your review I am deciding otherwise. Next review you should tackle a clone.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 10:36 AM »
Your right Jesse this is Raymus Antilles, the Antilles from ANH was Colton Antilles. I agree with your review as well and in this shot doesn't it look like he's got a dildo attached to his belt?

« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 10:52 AM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 07:40 PM »
Another good and thorough review Jesse.

I also think it's kind of wierd that Hasblo can't give figures some sort of standard articulation.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 09:50 PM »
Heh, never noticed the "holster" before.  Customizers everywhere have to love that "accessory".  :^)
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 11:35 PM »
I now expect a nude Padme to pop up on Ebay with that...   ::)

I'm sticking with them being two unique Antilles as well jay...  I'm hearing the intention was that this guy was to be played by Dennis Lawson (throwing EU completely off and making Wedge an Alderaanian) but Lawson bowed out...  And then I've heard it was an intent that they'd be the same guy (ANH and ROTS) but there's clear physical evidence they're not the same guy...  Colton and Raymus sounds fine to me.

Standardizing articulation would be tough with figures like Senators and stuff mixed in there.  Those long robed guys cause a problem, but I don't see why Organa's articulation couldn't have been met on this figure.  It's not super articulation but it'd give him knee joints and stuff.  Hell if he was that good I'd have bought a couple to create some Alderaanian Guards/military actually.

He's one of the only figs in these latest waves that I'd say is pegwarming, though I am seeing the other two from his wave sit a bit more.  Some less than interesting figures mixed in there.

EDIT:

Clones are coming soon by the way...  Reviews are done but we've got a schedule we're keeping to pretty well right now.  Keep your eyes peeled though!  Thanks for the thoughts you guys shared. :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 11:36 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 06:32 PM »
Good review Jesse as expected. There was alot of unrelated Antilles in the Star wars saga. Man, they're right he IS packing. ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 11:23 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Slothus. 

It does seem that Antilles is the Smith of Star Wars...  It seems plausible that people from various worlds would have similar names (if not identical as in this case) in some instances if not many.  Plus inter-cultural mixing and all that... 

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 07:03 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Slothus. 

It does seem that Antilles is the Smith of Star Wars...  It seems plausible that people from various worlds would have similar names (if not identical as in this case) in some instances if not many.  Plus inter-cultural mixing and all that... 

As always another fine review JJ

As a thought to the Antilles name. Wedge is Correllian, so perhaps it's a Corellian name and that descendents of the Capt. Antilles family came from Corellia, since in fact Alderaan is a colonized world. Just a thought.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 04:40 AM »
Oh man, EU's labeled Alderaan as a "colony"?

I'm not a fan of that idea...  Whether stretching the limits of what's possible or not, I always liked the idea of humans being indigenous to multiple planets (with of course colonies existing, but I never looked at Alderaan as a colony before). 

I'm just gonna pull the EU Shuffle and plug my ears while singing, "La la la la la la I can't hear you!" and ignore it.   :D

Offline Mike16

• Youngling
  • As you wish...
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #10 on: September 3, 2005, 02:25 PM »
Great review Jesse, waiting to pick him up even if he isn't quite up to scratch.

I was under the impression that this Antilles was the father of the Antilles who is strangled in ANH?
« Last Edit: September 3, 2005, 02:29 PM by Mike16 »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: September 3, 2005, 11:28 PM »
I'm hearing a lot of "variety" on who this guy is supposed to be.

I know Lucas was intending for the character to be played by Dennis Lawson for a "Wedge Antilles" connection but that changed when Lawson wouldn't, so there's THAT connection too, haha.

Offline Mike16

• Youngling
  • As you wish...
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #12 on: September 4, 2005, 05:56 AM »
Found this at TFN,

a starship Captain working for the Organa family, Antilles was in command of the Tantive IV for many years as a Captain in the Royal Alderaan Civil Fleet. His tenure extended back to the Clone Wars, when he piloted the ship to Polis Massa after Chancellor Palpatine revealed that he was Darth Sidious and took control of Courscant. Antilles was related to Alderaan's queen. Years later, along with his friend Bail Organa and his daughter, Princess Leia Organa, Antilles was also a supporter of the Alliance. In the wake of the Clone Wars and the birth of twins by Padme' Amidala, Antilles was given ownership of C-3PO and R2-D2, and told to wipe their memory banks clean. Antilles only managed to erase C-3PO's memory, an action that he did often to ensure that no information would ever reveal that Princess Leia was in fact the daughter of Anakin Skywalker. These memory wipes later helped hide that fact that R2-D2 contained the stolen plans to the first Death Star. Antilles was killed by Darth Vader on board the Tantive IV when he refused to divulge the location of the stolen Death Star plans. Vader physically strangled him, in a show of brute strength. Note that in the novelization of Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope, Antilles' name was Colton.

Although, I find it hard to believe its the same guy. And isn't Jeremy Bulloch's character in ROTS called Captian Colton?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: September 5, 2005, 03:48 AM »
I've found no definitive (which TFN is about as definitive as what I left in the toilet a few minutes ago.  :P  That site's a cesspool...  No offense intended, just a rant) answers on Antilles.

I can say that the man in ANH and the man in ROTS are about the same age.  They also neither one have any resemblance CLOSE to the other (hair color different, and I believe eye color is as well from what i can gather).  This is what makes me disbelieve ANY source that claims they're the same guy, lfl sanctioned or not.

ROTS guy's kid is captain in ANH?  I can buy that right now...  Weird, but Ic an buy it.

The guy Bulloch plays is being labeled as Captain Colton too I've noticed.

The whole thing's just a Lucasfilm fubar I think.  I'm to the point I'm sticking with the guy in ANH being Colton Antilles, and I'm gonna just say "son of the guy from ROTS".  Maybe named after the ship's pilot.

Which that's also a bit of a discrepency...  The ship has TWO captains?  Colton, and ANtilles?  Makes me think Colton's maybe the legit captain and Antilles is more a security captain like Panaka would be to Padme, but that's a WHOLE other debate.

This is as bad as the Tantive IV in ROTS not matching the Tantive IV in ANH in some major ways beyond "colors" or lights beind different.  Entire physical shape of the ship, beyond just some armor plating, are omitted on the ROTS ship because the ILM animators half-assed their research.   ::)

Offline Mike16

• Youngling
  • As you wish...
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #14 on: September 5, 2005, 07:43 AM »
Yeah, its just one of those things which GL hasn't explained, so it ends up making no sense at all!

But I'm gonna stick with the father/son thing for now, as your right, the two guys look nothing alike to be the same person.