Author Topic: Wal-Mart CW Volume II DVD 3-packs  (Read 40854 times)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Wal-Mart CW Volume II DVD 3-packs
« on: August 24, 2005, 03:05 PM »
For the last several DVD releases (OT, CW1, ROTS) Wal-Mart has released 3-figure boxsets of repacked figures. I was just reading the ROTS DVD 3-packs thread, and the thought crossed my mind: will WM do more of these for the second volume CW DVD?

The problem is, the only existing animated figures that would fit with Volume II are Mace, Dooku, Grievous, and Yoda. I have Mace and Grievous, but I've been waiting for a good deal on Dooku and Yoda so I wouldn't be against a rerelease.

But what would they do for the other two figures (assuming it was two 3-packs like last time)? Would they pack in some old figures (Obi-Wan, Anakin, Asajj) even though they're not accurate for Volume II? They could sculpt a new clonetrooper helmet (pretty low effort involved I would think) and stick it on the existing body--a lot of us would be really happy with that.

Thoughts? Anybody else wondering about this?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 10:59 AM by Jeff »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Volume II DVD promo Wal-Mart 3-packs? Speculation
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 04:20 PM »
If I'm remembering right, Hasbro sounded like (via Q and A's this year) that there would probably be something similar for the Volume II release, using previous figures with "updates".  I'm not sure what that means, but maybe they could modify the Obi-Wan/Anakin figures to look closer to their Volume 2 versions.  Of course, I could be way off with that too, they might not go through that much trouble.  If they would update them that much, with new heads or something, I'd definitely be interested.  Of course, they haven't done that yet...so that probably won't be the case this time either.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 05:10 PM »
I'd love to see another wave of 4: C-3PO, R2-D2, Padme, and Kit Fisto
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 03:01 PM »
agreed Mosnab- they will probably take annikan shirt off all the way to expose his tatoos-(different chest sculpt)ect....would be nice if they added r2 and padme, barris offee and shakk ti
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 08:59 PM by Darth Slothus »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 03:06 AM »
They better find some way to do Padme, or I will be one upset Spuffy.   ;)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 04:19 PM »
Duuuude! That would be awesome. Thanks for the link!
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 04:21 PM »
I just saw this now too, very interesting.  I'd really like to add a couple more "new" figures to the packs, I wonder if the older ones (specifically Anakin and Obi-Wan) will be modified as well.  If they put new heads on them to match the "ROTS styled" ones, I'd be cool with that.  Saesee and Cody are great additions as well.  Thanks for the links Jeff.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 04:26 PM »
I'm guessing they are Animated versions, figures they'd stick 2 great new figures (Saesee and Cody) in the boxes so everyone needs them.    ::)

I agree with you fellas that it'd be nice if they could at least modify the others too - new heads for Obi & Anakin and repaint the Clone to match one from the cartoon.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 04:39 PM »
Obviously the Cody one becomes very interesting.  Yeah, are these going to be animated versions?

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 06:46 PM »
These have the potential to be very awesome, and if they did the next-to-best thing, we'd only have to deal with one repack per box, and one of those would be a partially new figure.  And the coolest thing is that, given WM's former pricing on the DVD sets, three figures for 10 bucks! 

If it wasn't for the fact that they are Volume II sets, I'd love to see an animated Obi-Wan in Clone Armor in the second set (even though the argument could be made that he wore a lot of Clone armor in Volume II anyway).  Anakin could be a kitbash of the Mace Windu figure (his outfit was very similar to Mace's), and the Clone could simply have a new head, but from what I can see, Cody and Tiin would both have to be completely new figures from top to bottom (and Tiin could come with a removable helmet!).  Grievous is really the only one I can see them doing a straight repack on, although if they wanted to do a "battle damaged" torso on this one, it would be cool. :)

Somehow though, I can't help getting the feeling that my being excited about these is the wrong thing to do, and that once we see what we're actually getting, I'm going to be very disappointed.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 05:37 AM »
I agree with you fellas that it'd be nice if they could at least modify the others too - new heads for Obi & Anakin and repaint the Clone to match one from the cartoon.

I would hope that they would do this. After all having EP2 "era" Obi Wan and Anakin wouldn't make sense but it is Hasbro after all.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005, 07:01 AM »
If there animated, I'll pass. If non, I'll buy.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2005, 09:00 AM »
I really want these sets, and i hope they are animated.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2005, 06:00 PM »
I want them too but only if they're non-animated new figures, which I'm not too hopeful on.  I just can't get into the animated line since it feels too separate of the basic line.  Not that the non-animated line was spectacular, but I think that if it followed the now complete series in its look (but sculpted realistically) that it would be a nice companion line to the modern line...

The animated line just disappointed me that it was its "own thing" really.  I was really hoping for more non-animated figures out of Clone Wars I guess.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77