Author Topic: LEGO Minifigures  (Read 7863 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
LEGO Minifigures
« on: August 25, 2005, 03:19 PM »
You'll have to excuse me, because I know next to nothing about the LEGO line as I've never really collected it.  Anyways, I'm sort of becoming interested in picking some of this stuff up, and I don't know where to start.  I've thought about, for space purposes, just sticking with the figures at this point and maybe getting some sets later on.  Is there anywhere to purchase minifigs individually (or just ebay), or even a guide to what minifigs are out or coming up?  Any other opinions or advice on the LEGO line in general are always welcome.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: LEGO Minifigures
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 03:33 PM »
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 04:17 PM »
If you want a Jedi Luke, let me know.  I have a bunch left over when I bought some Final Duels 3 / $10 at KB to get Stormtroopers and Imperial Officers.  Free of charge.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 11:00 AM »
Mikey, thanks for the link and the offer.  I'm just starting to consider some of the LEGO stuff, as I've never really collected much of it before.  After picking up one of those C3 sets to get a Superman minimate, I kind of enjoyed just tinkering around with a little "lego-like" set, and I've always been somewhat interested in SW Legos.  I know next to nothing about them overall though, and I know I couldn't afford the pricier sets.  I'm directing my attention right now to that Star Wars LEGO Mini line, which I think looks kind of neat, and maybe some of the minifigures.  I'm guessing you must collect LEGO in general, and/or have lots of the minifigures.  What do you think of them?  I know they obviously aren't Kubrick quality or anything, but I thought they might be kind of fun (and affordable?) to collect.  I think the only set I have is that Jedi Duel one from AOTC with Yoda and Dooku (to get the Yoda), but I'd just like to focus on OT stuff now.  I'd like to start off with Han, Chewie, Luke, Leia, R2/3PO, Vader, etc.  Kind of wish I would have picked up some of the smaller sets to get some of those now ;).  If you have an extra Luke (or others) that you might want to get rid of at a reasonable price, just let me know.  I'm not sure how much money I can focus in this direction quite yet, and I'm still getting a feel for what everything costs.  What are the general feelings on the LEGO line overall?  Is it fun to collect?

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 11:44 AM »
I grew up with Legos and was thrilled when SW became a license.  Unfortunately, I don't have the room for them and they are all boxed up right now.   I really wish I had the room for them (the wife won't let me take over the spare bedroom) as the Lego line is one of my favorites. 

These things are expensive and I usually try to wait until clearance or sales to pick them up.  Got some pretty good deals that way - UCS TIE Interceptor for $25 and the original system Millenium Falcon for $50 at Target and the UCS Yoda for $10 at Walmart. 

Also have a complete set of the MINI Line including all of the promotions and the exclusive Kabaya Japanese set (X-wing, Boba Fett's Slave I and the TIE Interceptor that was released before this year's promotion).  These I do have displayed as they're small enough to find room for.  Shouldn't be too difficult to track down the basic ones, the free promotions might be a little tough but not difficult I would think.  As your focus is only OT, the TIE interceptor and TIE Fighter would be the only two free ones you need to track.  The Interceptor is still sitting at a TRU near me, let me know if you want me to pick one up for you ($5).  The TIE fighter you'll probably have to resort to ebay for, this came and went quick.

As for mini figs, I'll give you the cheapest set with which the character came (I'm assuming you'll want the original costumes, ie, Cantina Han, Farmboy Luke, etc.)

Han Solo, Tatooine Luke, Old Ben - buy the Cantina Set that comes with the landspeeder, dewback and sandtrooper and part of the bar.  Kills three of your wants right there, plus you get a Greedo and Sandtrooper to boot.

R2-D2 / C-3PO - either the Escape Pod or Jabba's Entrance (may not be the correct name).  Both are under $10.  The second set comes with a Bib Fortuna also.

Chewie - AT-ST

Princess Leia -  good luck.  The only set her ANH costume was released in was the now discontinued original Millenium Falcon (not the new Hoth version sitting on the shelves now)

Darth Vader / Emperor - Final Duel (I or II, I forget).  Comes with Vader, Emperor, his chair and the window he looks out during ROTJ.

Stormtrooper - the other Final Duel set.  Comes with Jedi Luke, Imperial Officer and a stormtrooper.  I bought a bunch of these at KB for 3 / $10.  Might still be available.  If you want, I'll send you an extra Jedi Luke.  Just PM your address and it's yours.

Good luck.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 12:03 PM »
Mikey, thanks so much for that information, that is incredibly helpful.  I remember seeing that Cantina set at Wal-Mart earlier this year, so I might go check if WM or Target might still have it about.  If it is around $30, I might have to wait a bit, but we'll see.  Thanks for your insight on the line overall too, that helps.  Like I said, I'm not real familiar with things...just vaguely keeping up with the news over the years.  My brother was into these bigger when he was younger, but now hitting 16 next month, his interest in "toys" has waned ;).  Some of the larger (more expensive) sets look amazing too, but since I'm attempting to cut back on things a little that might not be the best route for me right now.  I'll probably try to stick to the minfigs, MINI ships, and maybe the smaller (less than $10) sets for the most part if I go that route.  I always thought the minifigs were kind of neat, and I wouldn't mind getting as many of the OT characters (that are reasonable) and setting them all up on a lego pegboard or something.

Anyways, thanks again for the individual set info.  I figured Leia might be a tough one, but that is expected I guess.  Ideally, I'd eventually like to get the "other" outfits too, but in some situations it might not be possible.  I can't fork out the $100 for the Falcon to get Hoth Han ;).  Anyways, thanks again, this is a great starting off point for me...I think I'll check the stores this weekend and see what is out there.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 12:44 AM »
NIce list Mikey.  I've been gathering some Lego as well, but not nearly so much as many here.  Mostly (exclusively?) OT stuff and some nice pieces.  I think your future success in building and displaying them will come with a line I use - I'm buying them to build with my kid (daughter).  For me that's actually the truth.  Rainy day stuff we can do when she gets just a little older and something we can say we built together. 

I have the following larger sets, from memory:
Millenium Falcon (saw it only once - ever - bought it)
AT-AT
Imperial Shuttle
Tie Fighter
and that's really about it except for the smaller sets with figures. 

I do have some of the mini's, but skipped the Japanese set.  If you wouldn't mind Mikey, I could use the Interceptor.  That one never showed up in Fargo so I didn't pick it up. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 07:33 AM »
  If you wouldn't mind Mikey, I could use the Interceptor.  That one never showed up in Fargo so I didn't pick it up. 

Next time I get to the TRU that they've been sitting at, I'll grab you one.  I was just there on Friday and they still had plenty.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 07:03 PM »
Any MINI ARCs there? I know JesseVader and I both still need one.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 07:08 AM »

Yep.  I'll grab one for each of you.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 05:55 PM »

Thanks!  It's the 2nd last of the US released MINI sets I need. 

Then I'll just have to hit eBay for the TIE Fighter when I'm ready to shell out a few bucks.

I've been working on a list of the Lego sets that includes the figures with each set, but I wasn't as specific as Mikey's list as to what outfit the figures have.  But if you want to check it out, click for an alphabetical list or numerical list.  It needs to be updated with the upcoming 2006 sets, but I hope it'll be done soon.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 06:06 PM »

*bows at your feet*

Jesse - If you have extra pieces laying around, you could make a TIE yourself. You just need a few black pieces, and you can use that extra "hatch" square brick from the Interceptor. I could dig up a piece list for you if you're interested.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 9, 2006, 10:47 AM »
Bringing up an older topic - but this is another "collection" I'm trying to get back to now hopefully.  I've also recently purchased the LEGO Star Wars game (and hope to get the OT version next month), so maybe that is whetting the LEGO appetite again.  I still have the same aspirations as before, trying to pick up the minifigures.  I'm hope to start with the figures Mikey listed in his post above (Han, Chewie, Luke, Leia, Obi-Wan, 3PO/R2, Vader, Stormtrooper, Emperor), then moving into others if possible (Boba Fett, Lando, etc.)  I realize it might be kind of tough/expensive to get a hold of some of these now, so we'll see.  I've been looking on ebay for the Cantina set to pick up Han/Luke/Obi in one shot, but it seems like prices might have gone up on this set a little bit (maybe that happens often with LEGO sets - I'm really not familiar).  Ideally I'd like to get the main characters (and main supporting) and maybe have them all plugged into a lego floor base together.  Just a little display piece.  The only SW Lego stuff I have is the MINI Falcon and an AOTC set with Yoda/Dooku (at least I'll have a Yoda for display).  With a little time passed, anyone have further recommendations on picking up the minifigs?  Should I just look through ebay for individual figures, visit BrickLink, or something else.  Mikey - do you still happen to have that extra Jedi Luke you mentioned long ago?  Maybe we can work something out in the future for that.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 9, 2006, 11:03 AM »
Still have that Luke, Brian.  I'll stick in a padded envelope when I get a chance and send it to you.  I don't need anything for it, he's just sitting in my tub of leftover Lego pieces.

If it's just figures you want, I'd still suggest ebay or brick link.  No need to buy the whole set for just the figures.  I see quite a bit of loose Lego figures on ebay.

Once Lego discontinues a set (the Cantina for example), then the prices skyrocket.  I know Lego is expensive to begin with, but it's always best to get them while you can.  I'm kicking myself for not picking up the the two Wookiee sets and Vader's transformation when I had the chance.  If I want them, I'll have to pay way over retail for them.