Author Topic: Anyone Else Bored?  (Read 7274 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Anyone Else Bored?
« on: August 29, 2005, 10:40 AM »
I've been collecting modern era SW figures now for close to 10 years, and I can't remember a time when I was so un-excited about upcoming toys.  Right now, there are no new figures that I am really looking forward to. Sure, the new Boussh, Han and Bib could turn out great, but at best, they're re-sculpts.

And while I do like the reapinted clones coming up, the  final 12 ROTS figures are all very ho-hum.

I am looking forward to the Big TIE, if I can find one, and the EE R2 packs, but that's it.

I think that with no new films on the horizon, Hasbro picked a very, very bad time to not offer new, never-been-made toys.

So, is anyone else feeling as blah as me?
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Else Bored?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 12:40 PM »
Well, no - I'm not bored one bit.  I've enjoyed the ROTS line, and there still more than enough stuff coming out this year for me.

Besides, if you get bored, there's always the world of customizing - endless ideas!

:P

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 01:38 PM »
I'm fed up with the bull**** exclusives and their prices.

No offense, but the new TIE fighter should be no more than $30 - TOPS!

The original was $20 in the OTC line - bigger wings don't justify a 100% price increase.

$13 lava figures and a SA clone with an extra tampo don't make sense either - not to mention the new clone trooper over at SWshop.com at $14 + outrageous shipping.

I want to buy this stuff, just can't justify the pricing.

And I've yet to see anything new here past the Nemodian wave (the first one).

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 03:52 PM »
I'm not bored, but like Travis, very disenchanted with the exclusives.  Not even angry anymore, it just doesn't bother me.  I think that's what 10 years of collecting SW will do to you - nothing really bothers you, because A) everything is eventual, and B) they're just going to do a better version of whatever it is you're hurting for later on.

I've been through the fog of fatigue, survived, and now I'm pretty up on collecting, looking forward to next year.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 04:41 PM »
I'm just bored with the prequel stuff.

I am however, completely excited about the Clone evolutions packs I found yesterday - I hope to buy many more of them, they're fantastic.

I've got high-hopes for the Saga Collection stuff and hopefully a return of the VOTC.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 05:14 PM »
I'm not bored, but frustrated... 

-Exclusives...  Theyr'e a bitch to find, and their prices have crept beyond bareable basically, so it's just something detrimental to my opinion of the hobby overall.  The TIE Fighter I thought was on the lower end of bad exclusives...  I agree it's a $30 ship, but I also love it so much I want a second one even at $40 though I may not get it.  The figures sting more though, especially when many are things you don't even WANT to open up, like the Lava figures.

-Scalpers...  There's a sharp increase in them due to the film (and subsequently the line's) popularity.  They've become more an issue where I live, whereas they were non-existant a year ago out here and generally weren't much of a problem.  Noticeably more at the Toy Show this Summer though, and that's bothersome.

-Gas prices...  They tend to affect "joe average", and I fall into that category mostly, if not a bit lower with school and all, so that makes fruitless toy runs a bit more frustrating than normal.  The best you can do is condense toy runs into general "shopping needs" too at all times.

-Last 12 repaints...  Not much to get real excited about there.  My opinion hasn't changed since those were announced at SDCC.

-What You Want You Can't Find...  The only recent purchases I've made except Obi-Wan Pilot is buying Royal Guard variants, and SA Clones.  They're all I can find.  I have yet to see a single Evolutions set on the pegs, ever...  I got Anakin thanks only to JediMAC.  I did get the TIE Fighter luckily as an early bday gift though.

The 501st Clone set (the only battlepack I'm wanting now) I haven't been able to find (though thankfully KM's are abundant and closer than any other store).

But never seeing AT-RT Drivers, Red Shocktroopers, Evolutions sets, black pilots, or Green Commanders (or even Red ones), is nothing short of annoying and tie that to the above gas comment and it's even more annoying for me.

So, "frustrated" is my best explanation of my current mood...  Not really bored.  I'm not even 100% bored with the prequals as I am looking forward to the Preview Wookiee's re-release as a commando, and Clones...  I'm pretty well set to move onto classic trilogy stuff though and see if Hasbro can wow me with it, and surprise me with some army builder resculpts I've wanted done for ages.  SA Rebels and SA Scout/Snowtroopers would be high on my list.

Classic trilogy stuff always gets me more antsy for finding it than prequal stuff, even if it's cool ROTS stuff.  I know that finding the Cantina wave gave me a rush I hadn't felt in a LONG time.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 06:16 PM »
Not bored, just fed up with not finding jack ****.

I have most of the main characters from ROTS right now (but I still want an Obi-Wan Pilot) so if I walked away right now, I'd have what I really, really want.

I mostly lack the Tarkin wave, the Clone repaints, the Obi-Wan Pilot wave, and Zett Jukassa.

I want to stay on board for the Leia Boussh wave and the new TIE Fighter, but if past Target exclusives and distribution of basic figures sucks as much next year as it does right now, I see no point in hanging around.

I'm sure all I'll find at Christmas will be the last 12 of the ROTS line, which I really don't want at all.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 07:39 PM »
Yep, I find myself to be a tad irritated with the collecting right now.  I enjoy the ROTS line really I do.  It does suck when you can't find stuff or afford the silly exclusive prices even if I wanted them.  For instance I would like that carded Wedge but for $15 they can suck on it IMO.   

Eh, maybe it's the 113 degree heat in Mesa, AZ getting to me? 

I think my problem is I am just going to have to sit down and think about what I really want to collect or get rid of.  It's just to much stuff anymore for me.  Maybe burned out? 

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 08:16 PM »
Chewie, you are dead right.  While I'm not into customizing, I do need to build some displays/dioramas for what I do own.  The would is what we make it, right?

I just wish I could get a CZ-3!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 09:27 PM »
I've been bored since the Cantina wave....now I've drown my boredom in EPIII Clones since they ALMOSt look like Stormtroopers....

Like Rob, I have gotten stoked for 2006 with the arrival of Sandtrooper in Evo Pack...he may be the ONLY OT figure we get all year (I don't count Vaders and Emperors, they are not OT specific)

I really am looking forward to the 2006 OT Waves.  I know we'll get repacks of stuff we didn't ned the first time.  And I'm sure they'll re-sculpt characters that were already ok, and I'm not holding my breath for more than 1 Super Articulated Army builder (hopefully not based on a "sculptor", but based on a REAL on screen character).  But with all that in mind....I am not too bored...not yet...ask me next year when they ruin the OT revival with a PTwave...then I may reconsider my vote...

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 10:25 PM »
I'm seconding what Jesse said:

I'm not bored, but frustrated...

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Jesse and many others in that I have a very fixed income and an alarming lack of retail options to choose from without making lengthy drives.  There are no more "special trips" to look for this stuff, partly because of not finding anything 99% of the time and partly due to gas prices being so high, and my anticipation for future figures is more along the lines of, "I hope I'm able to find Commander Gree at all" instead of "Yay, a Commander Gree figure!"

It's times like this that I really feel bad for the self-proclaimed OCD crowd, buying 2 of everything, because I can't even afford one of everything in a lot of cases.  When a "break" hits (due to me being caught up and/or no new stuff for a while), I'm more relieved that I don't have to look for stuff or spend more money I don't really have on things than I am anything else. 

And I'm going to throw this out there just so everyone can drop their jaws in astonishment and throw large heavy objects at me, even though I've said it before:  I'm not looking forward to another OT-heavy year.  While I accept that some resculpts are needed (as in all three of the new Jabba's Palace figures in the first wave of 2006), I'm really not looking forward to the possibility of yet another Luke or R2-D2 or Darth Vader in 2006.  I'd rather see eight figures for each film, spread over 12 months than this "battle" themed stuff that is probably going to end up being very arbitrary.

Do I like the PT better than the OT?  Certainly not.  But I've seen enough Lukes and Hans and Leias and R2s and Vaders and Boba Fetts to do me for the rest of time at this point.  I'd pick an SA Qui-Gon or Commander Cody or any of Padme's 15 million costumes over anything from the OT at this point.

The above two paragraphs have now rendered anything I have ever said or will ever say here at JD invalid and unworthy of consideration, so I will now go sit in the corner and play with my Jedi Starfighter armada.  :'(

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 10:56 PM »
I'm not bored, nor am I frustrated (luckily, we seem to have an abundance here in Utah of all figures) but I am getting very picky again. I know I'll be getting Gree, Bly and Tactical Ops Clone (hopefully x3), an R4 and one or two Wookies, but that is it. Outside of Cody, I think I will be done with ROTS unless they release a figure that wows me.
For the upcoming wave, I need a WOW to buy there also. I need to see a figure that knocks me off my feet in order to buy. I just don't see too many WOW's next year so I know I'll be saving money.
In the end, it is the WOW I'm looking for, and at 40, it will take A LOT to WOW this old man to the point of  being excited to making hunts next year.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 01:36 PM »
I fall into the 'frustrated' crowd. It's not that I don't like the stuff, it's just that I can't find the stuff. I haven't found any Clone repaints or anything over Anakin #50. That's pathetic considering most of this stuff started hitting shelfs back in June! What's more, most of the store shelfs around here aren't  even remotely full while two outta three of the Wal*Mart's are nearly totally empty... and have been for two months (the other Wally World is loaded with April figures).

Don't get me going on over-priced Target, or online  exclusive figures (or the Vader 500 for that matter)- I've started carrying a jar of vasoline with me just so I can prepare myself when somebody mentions "Exclusive".

Yeah, frustrated! That's  a good word to describe how I feel.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 02:32 PM »
Frustrated is what sums it up.  Have seen no Clone repaints as of yet or the AT-RT driver.  Even looking for one has become a task.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 11:30 PM »
I am bored becuase of the re-releases with just a small paint job difference. I guess it works out becuase i save money by not buyingt hem, but i wish we got more new figures.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"