Author Topic: Target's "Attack on Coruscant" Clone 5-pack  (Read 37465 times)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Target's "Attack on Coruscant" Clone 5-pack
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2005, 03:18 PM »
Gonna have to disagree with the 97.3% of the folks that care if this set is fully articulated or not. Hey, if they are painted nicely/diplayed nicely in case and since I'm not opening I don't care if it has 14 points of articulation or 12.  8)

Oh well, I'm different and not with the majority-I'm 2.7%
But ..look, if I expand minds and show ..I'm not an opener, then it makes perfect sense that I don't have concern over the articulation, duh* ::)

At least the set packaging looks good enough for purchase and display :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2005, 05:26 PM »
Carded collectors have always felt that way Darth Slothus, that's nothing new.  Unfortunately when we talk about the line's overall "health" though, that concerns us all obviously.  We can get statues in packaging and it can make many carded collectors happy I suppose, yet is it "good" for the Star Wars line?  I don't believe it is as we see with the Saga line where a lot of pre-posed figures went by as generally unpopular.  That line in general was weak and saw buy-backs on Hasbro's part.

The ROTS line's been a much popular line...  I attribute it to a major bump in quality of the figures coupled with a better media backing.  Even the weaker efforts tended to be pretty good figures and DEFINITELY better quality to their Saga counterparts.  One need only look at the Obi-Wan's for this film release cmpared to those for the Saga/AOTC Line's release, and there's marked improvement in overall quality in the figures.  The ROTS line's popularity has relied on things being a bit more fun though out of the packaging as well as looking pretty within.

The balance is important to the line in general.  I don't think the 501st Clones will be pegwarmers.  The AT-TE Gunner isn't as he is, but that's not to say that if they shipped in droves, that perhaps it wouldn't sit maybe a little longer than some other figures.  I think if shipped evenly together and in high quantities, a TE Gunner variant, and a SA variant of the 501st Clone would see the SA variant move faster...  It's like the SA moving faster than the #6 clone sculpt (aside from its shocktrooper variant).  The better of the two wins out.

With the openers wanting the SA sculpt, and it being completely adequate in every way then, I'd think even most carded collectors would want "what's best" for everyone and not just what suits them since they don't open it...  The best way to look at I think.  Now if someone genuinely LIKED the AT-TE Gunner over the SA, that's of course their opinion.  It's a cool figure for sure, but I don't know many who prefer it over the 3 basic Clone sculpts we've gotten this year.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2005, 06:19 PM »
Well said, I agree with you on most points.. However it seems Hasbro put a high emphasis on the shipping of many #41's to cover the demand and likely mistake of shortpacking them early on. If I didn't have to see so many #41's in my 7 stores I visit here in Southern California...(Yes, pegwarming)then I would likely agree with everything you have said- However that fact remains and has probably (along with an individual who decided to (probably felt it was his royal duty)lay an off-topic personal attack because he doesn't agree with my thinking ) created my mood towards it doesn't matter the clone- if H created too many for sale they would pegwarm

It's OK for people to disagree here and that's fine- (it's certainly less boring than everyone walking like sheep agreeing and saying the same thing). However, I don't condone a personal attack because of a disagreeance in opinion on a Star wars figure- C'mon I mean I don't take these things to bed and fall asleep with them in my arms- but if someone does that that's fine and I won't JUDGE them for doing it.

But please don't tell someone how many smiley faces they can put on an email just because YOU don't like it. And please don't give bogus statement percentages as if you're an authority at the census bureau and did the math( however if you did do the math and asked all 1142 members how they felt then I'll retract that last line in an instant :) )

I don't care if people say that they(themselves) are 90 whateva percent sure about something themself(i think it's kind of funny) but please don't speak for everyone else like your trying to be their hero or whateva.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2005, 06:27 PM »
I don't think anyone is trying to be a hero. :-\

Also, please type "whatever" instead of "whateva" because it makes your point less valid, and sound a little less intelligent.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2005, 07:22 PM »
But please don't tell someone how many smiley faces they can put on an email just because YOU don't like it. And please don't give bogus statement percentages as if you're an authority at the census bureau and did the math( however if you did do the math and asked all 1142 members how they felt then I'll retract that last line in an instant  )

Gonna have to disagree with the 97.3% of the folks that care if this set is fully articulated or not.

Oh well, I'm different and not with the majority-I'm 2.7%

Do you see the irony?

Anything Hasbro puts out should have good paint apps, AND good articulation. Esspecially when it is a repaint/repack. There is no excuse not to use a better sculpt if it is out. It doesn't cost more to produce. And like JJ said if you have the abbility to please carded and loose collectors, why wouldn't you? That is stupid business. Esspecially when it is an army building set. If the packaging is good the carded collectors will buy 1, but if the contents are good army builders and loose collectors will buy multiples.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 07:22 PM by Sith Lord Chaos »
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2005, 07:29 PM »
I'm going to ask that we let the grammar policing remain in the hands of the staff here so that they can make the decision when they feel it's disruptive to the boards.  That's a call we like to make sparingly and under select circumstances as we deem fit so we don't want that spilling into a public fight between members.  You can take it to PM if you like, but it's probably not worth the anymosity so I'd suggest simply dropping the issue.

As far as the #41's, I think you're in the minority on them being a peg-warmer right now Darth Slothus though I coudl be wrong.  I know my area's devoid of them.  If I find one here and there I tend to buy it but I've only found 2 in the last month or so probably.

I did see a lot at TOys R Us one day though, but they were gone when I went back hoping to score some of them.  I should've just bought them when I had the chance.  I don't know too many people putting the pegwarmer label on them though, even the cali guys I know.

Whether the 41 could pegwarm?  I don't know.  In general army building figures sell steadily rather than pegwarm...  dependant on the quality at least.  Case-in-point, the Hoth Rebel Soldier sold piss-poor but was an equal in quality to its sales rate.  It just simply was a poor figure.  The Imperial Officer I saw in droves (the POTJ one anyway) out here but it sold very well even at marked up prices at K-Mart...  

Clone Pilots, Neimodian Gunners, and Wookiee Warriors were all 3 figures that sold well at first, then started to sit as they shipped more heavily...  But even those are drying up.  I'd say I went from seeing 30+ Pilots at any given store to maybe 8 at most.  The Neimodian Gunner's the only figure I see a little more abundantly and that could partially be that he's so obscure nobody cared about him getting a figure anyway.  The Wookiee's I only see one or two of here and there, I think the kid market after the film's release moved those...  I know my gf's kids each wanted one when they saw it anyway.

So would a #41 Clone "pegwarm"?  I think it'd start to sit to the point you could FIND it if they shipped so many...  It'd take a LOT of reshipping it though, and I still debate whether it would pegwarm or just move steadily.  I think almost any of the armor-clad troops of the Empire (or Republic as the case may be) would move if they're well made figures.  Even #6's are still sorta tough to find.  I see one or two now when I go out, but they're not out there in mass quantities...  Plus the new paintjob's on ANY Clone aren't sitting where I am so army builders are basically starting from scratch on any variant...  It's like they're brand new figures to many people.

As far as personal attacks and whatnot, I think MetalJedi wasn't attacking you.  No more than repeatedly posting "percentages" in various topics is an attempt to ruffle his feathers, so that's knocker-for-tat in my book.  I think Metal was being funny, but not malicious, about the smiles you used...  And likewise you replied humorously with all the smilies we have available and it wasn't insulting to him I'm sure.  

Like I said I'm probably one of the only people here who actively uses emoticons so it is a bit of an anomaly for our site I guess and he was just being humorous...  No big deal, and I think that any notion of it being a mean spirited comment is blown out of proportion.  Metal Jedi and yourself have both made your opinions known as to the topic and perhaps that's where it should be left then.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2005, 08:46 PM »
Where I live in SC there are alot of ATRT drivers,#6 clones(not painted), #41 clones on the shelves- if they stay on the shelf for 7 days at least 6 or more than that's how I justify calling it a pegwarmer- That's just me. Next I anticipate the Yoda's, grievous's, vaders to pegwarm as rehashes- they already are pegwarming here as well and.. the new cases aren't even out yet. I am fortunate at getting alot of stuff in the Valley here but I guess I'm fortunate to not have F&S employees near me that take everything for resale. You've spoken well on this matter staff member :)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2005, 08:51 PM »
I think it just depends, what figures peg warm.  #6 vanilla clones have been sitting - in numbers - for over a week at Target, and now Bacarra is backing up too.  But then down in KC, I saw TONS of Wookie Warrior #43, everywhere, and he's vanished here in Iowa.  TRU here still has lots of Alaya Secura and Ki Adi Mundi, which no one else has.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2005, 09:07 PM »
OOPS I knew I missed one- the Bacara is another I would like to add to what I consider pegwarming central here-

There's only 280,000 people jammed into 3 towns here where I live and about 8 major stores to buy SW products
4 WM's, 1 TRU, 2 Targets, Kay-bee also Kohls if you wanna count 'em. So I guess it's not like the millions or so in the LA area not only that but they got the big resellers F&S and Big Lou's AND all there scalp teams. Well I'm just fortunate I don't have to drive an hour and twenty  to where they are

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2005, 09:35 PM »
There's only 280,000 people jammed into 3 towns here where I live and about 8 major stores to buy SW products
4 WM's, 1 TRU, 2 Targets, Kay-bee also Kohls if you wanna count 'em.

Sounds like you need to stop by this thread;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2005, 11:41 PM »
I did a toy run tonight and saw for the first time Bacara's in any quantity, but at most there were 10 total...  The RT Drivers were gone and when I was done I put all but 2 SA Clones on lay-away... 

No variant Clones to be seen though I noticed case-mates of theirs so I know they were there.  People are focusing on those now it seems.

The area I'm in I'd say the only things that we still consider pegwarmers are the Neimodian Gunner and some of the Zett Jukassa wave's sitting now.  ALl 3 of them are sitting actually.

Like I said, it varies by area, but I'd bet you those Clones start to move over time... 

Wookiee's were gone, but their reshipments are showing up around here Spuffy...  KFC Anakin's not a pegwarmer yet but I think he's getting there too.  Took a while, and I've never seen any variation on him.  :(

Only 2 Obi Pilots and 2 Mustafar sentries I spotted tonight and I got both Obi's and one Sentry. 

Stuff like that just isn't the pegwarmer here it seems to be elsewhere.  That'st he first I've seen of those figures actually.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2005, 08:18 AM »
I think one of the reasons Obi won#55 is pegwarming here is that it's not an army builder and he came out in all four of the case revisions(unlike the sentry). Despite being one of the most cleverly done Obi-won's I've purchased-once people have this figure then, that's it-shoot ,they don't want an army of them!I guess as all these revisions of this wave start hitting everywhere like they've done where I am you may see the pegwarming trend- alot more 41's issued with the last waves and revisions-when people see the colored clone they not surprisingly tend to leave the 41 and take the colored variant figs. This is what happened where I live. Whateva- depends on your area's stores product availablity I guess. My Wal Marts typically have been setting out 12-14 cases of product at a time- see now how it can sit for this long?

Offline rikdom

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2005, 10:34 AM »
Where I live in SC there are alot of ATRT drivers,#6 clones(not painted), #41 clones on the shelves- if they stay on the shelf for 7 days at least 6 or more than that's how I justify calling it a pegwarmer- That's just me.

No offense, but I think that's a terrible definiton of pegwarming.
To me that's called having toys in stock.

I'd say pegwarming is when a case is put out and most of the other figs sell through, but the clones sit. And then next week a new case is put out and a lot of figs sell through, but those clones are still there, and any new clones sit too. And then next week, next shipment, same thing.
If your stores are putting out a dozen or more cases at a time, it should be no surprise that it takes more than a week for things to sell.

I know this comes down to personal definitions, but if everyone has a wildly divergent view on what a term means, it loses all meaning.

I'm not saying your definition is this bad, but I've seen people find a hot new figure in the same store over two consecutive days and say"uh-oh.... this is starting to pegwarm" I also see people talking about "grail" hauls when they find a brand new hard to find figure. Drives me nuts. :P

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2005, 09:37 PM »
No offense back but... your 'definition' sounds great but it really has no place where I live. You know what? My stores(well there not really mine lol, but my area) havn't gotten any new figures in almost three weeks- I've seen all the waves go through up through #56 including all the revisions- How do I know ? we have 8 or 9 places to shop I go 4-5 times a week and communicate well with all our other collectors here.  ::)

What I'm saying is since no new cases have been set out in
almost 3 weeks now THOSE clones are still there from then. I wasn't suprised today ..when walking with 2 other area fellow collectors how they agreed that they never thought they'd see the drivers/clone versions pegwarm.  ::)

Believe it or not- this is a big beautiful universe
and there are different areas/situations then your own..LOL!

Of course on the other hand.. there are NO colored clones left here because myself and others have stripped them ;)

I am more optimistic in believing other people's situations
'cause I've been doing this for along time and have seen some crazy ****. Show me color variation clones pegwarming and then definately I would be pessimistic about THAT story however..LOL
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 09:51 PM by Darth Slothus »

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2005, 12:21 AM »
I don't think the Obi #55 is going to peg-warm for long, as soon as some of the customizers see what kind of potential it has for building more Jedi, it'll start to move off the shelves. I opened one up tonight, and I have to say it is a pretty good figure. The legs are a bit on the skinny side, and the arm articulation is a bit funky looking, but overall I think it has potential to become "THE" Jedi body for custom Jedi in the future. The cloak is just awesome IMO.