Author Topic: Target's "Attack on Coruscant" Clone 5-pack  (Read 37567 times)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Target's "Attack on Coruscant" Clone 5-pack
« Reply #135 on: October 5, 2005, 04:25 PM »
If I find this I might get it. 4 Technician Clones and a EU Commander is a fantastic deal for $20.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 6, 2005, 12:09 PM »
I got one of these earlier this morning using the DCPI method at the local Target.  The lovely and alluring young lady with the scanning gun did a backroom check and the young man working with her pulled out an unopened case of the Battle Pack (six per case; I didn't look at any numbers on the side) and the Plo Koon JSF (again, six per case).  As I didn't want to push my luck, I just got one of each, and they both rang up at 19.99.  So there you go. :)

My only gripe with the set (and I haven't really inspected it all that closely yet; just got it out of the box about 10 minutes ago) is that Hasbro has once again put the MIB presentation above the actual quality of the toys.  As a result of them using those damned rubber bands to hold the weapons in the hands, the Clones holding the smaller blasters' hands are warped and once you get the bands off, the little guns fall right out of their hands.  I'm sure some will say, "Well, leave the rubber bands on!"  The point is that I shouldn't have to do that and the Clones should be able to hold their guns securely in the first place.

Overall though, on a cursory glance, it seems like 20 bucks is well worth it for this set.

SilverZ

« Reply #137 on: October 6, 2005, 01:28 PM »
One last nitpick from me on the set -- actually, it's not a nitpick, it's a major gripe about quality control:

Two of the four clones in the set have smeared grey paint on the back side of the shoulder armor pieces, like the paint wasn't even try when they were placed into the plastic tray. Thankfully, it can pass as weathering, but this is really tacky.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 7, 2005, 12:17 AM »
Not sure if this was mentioned or not but I noticed something on the back of the Clone BP. They show a couple of other BPs and they show the Jedi vs Sith one as Jedi vs. Separatists. Are they changing the name of that BP or is this just an error? It would make since cause both Asajj and Grievous are separatists.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #139 on: October 7, 2005, 02:01 AM »
I got my set today using the DPCI... 

So, I'm not bowled over by it.  It's still sitting in its box actually, but the XD figures Ryan sent me today are all opened and posed already, haha.  The set looks nice, especially packaged, but I'm a bit more disappointed in the Deluxe Clone's sculpt being used as it was...  Bacara I could've been cool with but the Clones should've at least been a #6 sculpt.  They can't be using that TOO much because I haven't seen a #6 on the pegs much less a red shocktrooper, in ages.  Never seen the shocktrooper ever.  The Deluxe's sculpt has enough flaws i'm just not too into seeing it used at all.  I hope this is it and they're done with that sculpt unless they repaint the flying Clone it was made for or some such.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Tijuanajedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ay Chichona!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 7, 2005, 02:15 AM »
All the damn Targets in San Diego dont have it yet.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #141 on: October 7, 2005, 10:05 AM »
I picked it up this morning. I was on the fence with it fromt he pictures, but it looks pretty cool in person  and i figure they wouldnt release those clones in single packs so why not.  :)
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 7, 2005, 12:04 PM »
Just a couple of nitpicks here on the set now that I've had a day to look it over and scrutinize it:

First of all, the name "Commander Bacara" is not mentioned anywhere on the box itself.  In the bio it refers to "Their commander" but it doesn't say Bacara specifically.  Therefore, we have another Clone Commander who doesn't have a name (I personally like Nathan's "Bluecara" suggestion myself). 

As for the armor on this commander, I think I've come up with a reasonable EU-esque explanation for this.  A lot of people have automatically assumed that the gear being worn by Bacara's soldiers on Mygeeto is just for cold weather ops, since they resemble the Snowtrooper armor of the OT.  The background I have read on them is that the armor is actually a "hostile environment" type of field attire that can be used not only in cold temperatures, but also in polluted air, fires, etc.

So, I put forth the idea that Commander Bluecara is wearing the Bacara-style filter helmet because of the burning ash and possible pollutants in the Coruscant atmosphere due to the ships from the opening space battle in ROTS coming through the atmosphere and crashing, and the dead Jedi smell coming from the burning temple.  Or one of the Clones had beans for dinner and Bluecara wasn't having any of that **** on his watch, literally.

On the pack-in weaponry front, there is only one extra small blaster included (presumably for Bluecara), but it and the other two small blasters have a slimmer handle than the basic carded versions of this gun.  Due to the rubber band fetish of Hasbro, none of these guns will fit securely in the Clones' hands.  The solution I found is that the blasters included with the Clone Pilots have a wider handle than other figures, and even though they don't fit perfectly, they fit much better than the included guns do.  Plus it gives me something to do with those guns from the extra Clone Pilots. :)

As mentioned earlier, there are no pegholes in the feet of the gray Clones, and that's disappointing.  Also disappointing is the fact that the Clones are riding in a cardboard representation of the Republic Gunship which is nowhere to be seen on store shelves right now unless you live near a Bizarro-World Toys R Us or Kay Bee Toys.  Oh well, kids won't be able to find the Clones or the Gunship at Target, so it all evens out.   ::)

Last thing: The plastic used on Bluecara's head is not as sturdy as the plastic used on the basic Bacara.  The antenna on mine already has a little crack in it, so be very careful out there with this one, folks.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #143 on: October 7, 2005, 12:22 PM »
As for the armor on this commander, I think I've come up with a reasonable EU-esque explanation for this. A lot of people have automatically assumed that the gear being worn by Bacara's soldiers on Mygeeto is just for cold weather ops, since they resemble the Snowtrooper armor of the OT. The background I have read on them is that the armor is actually a "hostile environment" type of field attire that can be used not only in cold temperatures, but also in polluted air, fires, etc.

So, I put forth the idea that Commander Bluecara is wearing the Bacara-style filter helmet because of the burning ash and possible pollutants in the Coruscant atmosphere due to the ships from the opening space battle in ROTS coming through the atmosphere and crashing, and the dead Jedi smell coming from the burning temple. Or one of the Clones had beans for dinner and Bluecara wasn't having any of that **** on his watch, literally.

I like your explanation Doc! Best one I've heard yet.

The other idea I'd been toying with ... maybe we could look at this like an earlier Bacara from earlier in the war. While the armor design itself is like Bacara's, you'll note the color scheme is a reasonable approximation of ARC trooper deco.

So I was thinking, what if this is a transitional form of Bacara's armor, halfway between ARC and Galactic Marine armor, before he'd applied the deco we see in ROTS?

Now you're all thinking, but Nathan, that doesn't fit with the "Coruscant Attack" theme of the set. To which I say, well technically this clone commander doesn't "exist" at all in the "real" SW canon, so my explanation might be valid as any.

;)

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 07:32 PM by #61 Senator Dork »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #144 on: October 7, 2005, 02:10 PM »
Dr. Padawan's point about the Mygeeto Clones is correct, at least from what I have read as well (In in the Insider this month...  not sure it's stated anywhere else).  Their uniforms are general purpose and I believe it even listed them as good for hot climates even.  I do believe that come the classic trilogy that the "Snow"Trooper's gear is just a 2nd uniform Stormtroopers use in climates such as Hoth.  Their snowsuits so to speak, but in the Clone Wars when the uniform is developed it's developed for the Galactic Marines and their random deployments to harsh worlds maybe.

Bacarra's uniform I think is no more whacky than any of the other commander's really.  It has elements of the ARC Troopers which the Insider said is partly an homage to the ARC's while it also is also something to set the Commander apart and represents his additional training (generally ARC training) that makes him independant and a leader and whatnot.  The Commander in the pack, like the red, green, and yellow colored COmmanders, maybe just uses the same armor type as Bacarra does for whatever reasons.  Just as Neyo maybe isn't the only Commander using that armor type, and Cody isn't the only Commander using that armor, Bly, Gree, etc... 

I don't recall the Insider explaining WHY Bacarra's armor looked the way it did.  That article was disappointing really.  It didn't touch on a lot of the Clone Commanders at all, like Neyo for instance or the BARC uniform, or the AT-RT Drivers I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #145 on: October 7, 2005, 03:00 PM »
As for the armor on this commander, I think I've come up with a reasonable EU-esque explanation for this.  A lot of people have automatically assumed that the gear being worn by Bacara's soldiers on Mygeeto is just for cold weather ops, since they resemble the Snowtrooper armor of the OT.  The background I have read on them is that the armor is actually a "hostile environment" type of field attire that can be used not only in cold temperatures, but also in polluted air, fires, etc.

And that is supported by the use of the uniform in ROTS. It's ash that is falling on Mygeeto, not snow.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #146 on: October 13, 2005, 11:43 AM »
Possible Clone Battle Pack Variant?

www.yakface.com
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2005, 12:09 PM »
Possible Clone Battle Pack Variant?

www.yakface.com

So, it's a pack without the commander?  Strange...  :-\

I'm glad I got the one with the commander, but if this is true, I suppose it's good news for the people who want to army build with just the Gray Grunts. 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #148 on: October 13, 2005, 12:22 PM »
I wonder what the back of the box looks like… does it still have Blue Bacara on it or not  ???
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 13, 2005, 04:15 PM »
Dr. Padawan's point about the Mygeeto Clones is correct, at least from what I have read as well (In in the Insider this month...  not sure it's stated anywhere else).  Their uniforms are general purpose and I believe it even listed them as good for hot climates even.  I do believe that come the classic trilogy that the "Snow"Trooper's gear is just a 2nd uniform Stormtroopers use in climates such as Hoth.  Their snowsuits so to speak, but in the Clone Wars when the uniform is developed it's developed for the Galactic Marines and their random deployments to harsh worlds maybe.

Bacarra's uniform I think is no more whacky than any of the other commander's really.  It has elements of the ARC Troopers which the Insider said is partly an homage to the ARC's while it also is also something to set the Commander apart and represents his additional training (generally ARC training) that makes him independant and a leader and whatnot.  The Commander in the pack, like the red, green, and yellow colored COmmanders, maybe just uses the same armor type as Bacarra does for whatever reasons.  Just as Neyo maybe isn't the only Commander using that armor type, and Cody isn't the only Commander using that armor, Bly, Gree, etc... 

I don't recall the Insider explaining WHY Bacarra's armor looked the way it did.  That article was disappointing really.  It didn't touch on a lot of the Clone Commanders at all, like Neyo for instance or the BARC uniform, or the AT-RT Drivers I think.

Judging by the helmet, especially the back part, I think Bacara's armor may have been prototype Galactic Marine/Snowtrooper armor.  :P