Author Topic: Target Exclusive Clone Trooper  (Read 53304 times)

SilverZ

Re: More Target Exclusives?
« Reply #180 on: May 4, 2005, 11:02 PM »
I guess he's building an army, and that's fine and all... but damn, show some self control and leave some for others. At least for a little while.  At $12.99 you'd think he'd be happy with the 13 he'd got, and not be upset that the store wouldn't sell him both cases.

I feel like I've taken more than my share with 4, and I feel like I've spent too much money on those anyway. They're not worth the $13 bucks, that's for sure.

I've been on the verge of a rant about how rampant hoarding appears to be this movie year go-round. I've never seen so many speculators, johnny-come-latelies, scalpers, and compulsive hoarders vulturing the Star Wars goods. I was reading posts from people on another board about them ordering multiple Clone #41s from hasbrotoyshop.com, not in numbers like 10-12, but 40-50, and higher.

It's just out of control.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2005, 11:03 PM by Tydirium »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #181 on: May 5, 2005, 12:41 AM »
I've noticed a lot of that crap too. I frequent the TNI and Spawn boards, and a lot of those folk who a few months ago hated Hasbro and their Star Wars toys are now buying loads of Clones and multiples of anyone past #32.

While it's great that they're all here (maybe there won't be so much later on around clearance time), seeing stuff like that case of Clones just makes me sick.

But maybe when their fair-weather fandom ends us die-hards can buy these ready-made armies for much less than retail. :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 5, 2005, 11:42 AM »
I went into a Target the other morning following behind two ******** who hunt for Hot-Wheels.

Anyway, one of the two guys used to dabble in Star Wars toys, but hasn't for some time. So I hear him saying to the other guy - "I haven't bought ANY of the new Star Wars stuff in a long time, it's just such crap"

What did this dick-wad proceed to do? Hit the Star Wars aisle FIRST - not the Hot-Wheels, the Star Wars. He started grabbing Clone Pilots, Clone Commanders, and then started looking at the pegs of the Target Exclusive Clone.

If murder was legal - I would have choked him to death right there on the spot.

Advice to all: NEVER give a stranger who asks you "what figures are hard to find?" a valid answer - tell him/her that the hard-to-find figures are Bail Organa and Mon Mothma or something else.

The problem with the line for ROTS is that the Clones are the best of the batch AND the army builders so the Hot-Wheel dregs are going to grab as many as they can simply for eBay re-sale.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2005, 11:43 AM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 5, 2005, 11:53 AM »
Hot Wheel guys go to the Staw Wars section all the time when the see me at the store. At least the used to. Once they did this a passed up a treasure hunt that I got. They were pissed! I was vindicated.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 5, 2005, 02:55 PM »
If murder was legal - I would have choked him to death right there on the spot.

I hear that.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #185 on: May 5, 2005, 03:01 PM »
Advice to all: NEVER give a stranger who asks you "what figures are hard to find?" a valid answer - tell him/her that the hard-to-find figures are Bail Organa and Mon Mothma or something else.

I have actually done this...  And it has worked.  And I did this very recently actually, and it did indeed work.  The guy walked away with a couple Jedi figures that weren't particularly plentiful but not hard to find anywhere by any stretch.

They didn't have anything I wanted that day, but I sure didn't point him in the right direction.  My favorite line is that "The Clones may seem like the right choice for rarity, but they'll be so abundantly made that they won't be worth a thing".  The guy bought that completely and left the #6 Clones on the peg.  I hated the long, and drawn out conversation we had...  It was a whole lotta "These are just for kids, but it's easy to make a buck off them too at my table..." kinda crap.  It's amazing who you seem to have to interact with when you're just trying to buy some figures you want.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #186 on: May 5, 2005, 05:09 PM »
This is exactly what is going to happen on Sunday morning:

******* on Spawn boards buys an entire CASE of Clones.

The numbnut. If ya can't wait until everyone else has gotten theirs, at least take a few each from multiple stores.

And anyway, who the heck army builds at $13 a pop???
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 5, 2005, 05:12 PM »

Bill Gates. :P

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 5, 2005, 08:39 PM »
If ya can't wait until everyone else has gotten theirs, at least take a few each from multiple stores.

This is what I did, I got mine from 4 different Targets...it was almost a game at the end to see if how many people working in the Garden department I could "Jedi Mind Trick" into bringing me the figures.  Could have bought a whole case at 3 of the stores...

I did stop at a dozen though, and that is probably 10 more than I will see of Clone #41.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 6, 2005, 09:26 AM »
Thanks to the DCPI # and tip from you guys (thanks), I was able to pick up a Target Clonetrooper yesterday.  The full story is detailed in the recent findings thread, but basically I found an employee stocking rubbermaids near the toy section...asked her if she could look up a DCPI for me, and she called to the back and said they were in the stockroom.  She asked how many I wanted, I said one, and she went and picked it up for me.  Looks like a nice figure, haven't opened it up yet, but happy to have one.  I'd like to have more, but at $12.99 each, 1 will have to be enough I think :).

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 6, 2005, 10:56 AM »
Yes, the DCPI number really came in handy this time. 

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #191 on: May 8, 2005, 12:04 PM »
So, who else was stupid enough to get up early at try to find this Clone?

I figured since I saw no pegs for the exclusives for going on two weeks, that my local Target must be waiting for May 8th to put their stock out.

I get there at 8:20 or so, and they hadn't reset the aisle, and of course, there's no ******* Clones.

So I leave disappointed (so much so that I didn't even pick up the AT-TE Gunners that were there) and go to Wal-Mart to see if I can find Thing and Torch from the F4 movie line since I picked up Mr. Fantastic and Invisible Woman there on Saturday. No luck there either.

So I went home and went back to bed.  Maybe I'll score those Clones this week, but I'll bet they never make it out of the stockroom. I daresay the Lava Vader exclusive was handled better than this disaster.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Padawan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 8, 2005, 12:33 PM »

*Raises hand*

I made the hour drive to the nearest Target and there was no spot for them and the clerk said they were sold out.  Ironically enough I did find the F4 Torch and I also got a Mr. Fantastic at the Savoy Wal-Mart.

I had yet to go to a Target to look for ROTS figures and the Star Wars section had a few signs that said they limited the purchase of Star Wars figures to six and no two can be the same.  Anyone else see signs like this at Target? 

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 8, 2005, 04:27 PM »

That would be me. :)

I'm actually waiting on one to come in the mail from a very kind fellow forum member, but I was curious if my local Target had actually lied to me or if they were being honest (see my story a few pages back in this thread if you care).  I walked in and, as expected, there were no Clones on the pegs.  So, with my crumpled little Post-It with the DCPI number on it, I asked a Target employee (or sales associate, whatever) if they had them.  I related (in a much less wordy manner; imagine that, me being concise) the conversation I had with the girl a week ago, and he punched in the DCPI on his little gun thing and it read as "In stock."

He walked into the back and came out with the same case that the girl had opened a week earlier and it was the same as it was then: completely full of Clones, tissue paper and all.  About that time, the girl I spoke to a week ago came around the corner and said, "I thought I saw you down here!"  She told the guy that today was the day and to go ahead and stock them, but that there was a limit of one figure per customer.  She even moved the basic figures (which had been occupying those Vader pegs) out of the way so he could stock them.  I thanked them profusely and picked up one of them for a friend whose health situation makes it difficult for him to go on regular trips to Target.

At the time I left, there were 11 Clones hanging on the pegs and a (theoretical) safeguard in place to make sure Ebay didn't all of a sudden see 11 more Clone auctions later this afternoon. :)

So, even though it's probably the exception to the rule, I was not lied to, karma won out, and Target (my local one, anyway) provided yet another reason why I'll continue to shop there and why the WM down the street can keep its mountain of Vader Voice Changer helmets.
« Last Edit: May 8, 2005, 04:28 PM by DoctorPadawan »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 8, 2005, 07:39 PM »
Hey, how did these bastards get ahold of these? And how are they able to sell it to us for the low, low price of $18?

OMGCNFO.

Well (naturally) this site has that price beat.

Forty dollars?!?!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks