Author Topic: Target Exclusive Collector's 5-Pack Cases  (Read 14158 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: Target Exclusive Collector's 5-Pack Cases
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2005, 09:22 AM »
Ughh, these are pretty stupid IMO - who wants to spend $10 for some cases when you could buy two figures instead?

But I'm an opener so what do I know!   :-\

We all know that these figures are not going to be worth anything 30 years down the road....right?

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2005, 09:51 AM »
Well I don't know.  I have a lot of carded figures.  I don't really look at them as an investment for the future.  I certainly don't intend on getting rich off of them.  But it's nice to keep the carded figures in cases if you can afford it.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2005, 10:10 AM »
So basically they are selling the cases? I really thoiught figures were going to be included.  ::)
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2005, 10:20 AM »
Yeah - these are pretty lame - I guess Hasbro and Target are trying to edge ProTech (and other similar companies) out of the Market.

I could NEVER see a kid in the toy aisle ask for this $10 in lieu of getting either (a) another two figures or (b) another toy from another toy line altogether. It just does not make sense - time to invoke the "Chewbacca Defense"

"look at the silly monkey... look at the monkey!"
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2005, 10:40 AM »
Considering the only alternative for those who want a protective case for their ROTS figures is the lackluster Star Case 3, the Hasbro version doesn't seem all that bad. I'll wait to see them in person, and how well they look and work, before passing final judgment though. At the very least, now carded collectors have two options apposed to just one. And that's never a bad thing.

Offline dockingbay97

• Youngling
  • I'm a camel!
    • View Profile
    • my cheesy website
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2005, 03:45 PM »
These Target exclusive star like cases suck

I picked up a pack today. Five pack for $9.99. Thought I would try them.

1. They are uber thin like the Lava Vader case
2. You have to bend the top of the card slightly to fit them in.

Bad bad cases

I think I am going to try the ones wholesalecases as in stock and see if they are any better

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2005, 05:13 PM »
So for those that have the cases, I'm hearing mixed stories.

Some are saying the plastic is thicker than the Lava Vader case, but others say it is actually thin like Lava Vader.

Anyone else care to comment on the cases they bought?

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2005, 05:21 PM »
I haven't opened my pack of cases yet that I got last night, but I can DEFINITELY vouch for the fact that the new case on the Target Clonetrooper is MUCH stronger than the one that came on the Lava Vader.  It's like night and day.  No idea which type comes in the new 5-pack of cases though, but at least I can confirm there 2 different ones out there now...

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2005, 05:42 PM »
JediMAC,

Someone I know did a write up of the cases and this is what he said.

DBK

Just opened the new SW Cases and these have a LOT to be desired. At first glance they look like the same case as the Target Clone, which I thought was flimsy to begin with. Well, these are worse. Then I follow the instructions to insert the figure and the bottom is wide open. It's not hinged, so you have to use clear packing tape (just like Hasbro) if you want these things to work. The peg hole is different. It's just a punch out hole at the top. My #35 Palpatines fit right in, but Holo Yoda just wouldn't go. Then I realize if the bubble of the figure is mounted at the bottom of the card, they wont fit in these new cases. So I try another one of my Yodas and he barely fits. Then I opened one of my Target Clones and the first Holo Yoda that didn't fit the new case fit right in to the Clone case. So the new cases are smaller than the ones Hasbro uses. How sweet of them. I'm not thrilled with the cases at all, but they'll work in a pinch.

SilverZ

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2005, 05:20 PM »
Here’s how they compare to each other:

Vader: Circular peghole, round button support feet at the bottom, and flimsy plastic.

Clone Trooper: J-style peghole, square support feet at the bottom, and sturdy plastic.

Target 5-pack: Vader-style case with heavier plastic weight about the same as the Clone Trooper. 

The Clone Trooper version is the best, and would have been my choice for issuing the five-packs from. Still, most figures are a very, very tight fit vertically. Each time a figure is placed into the pack, it feels as though you are risking bending the card. In order for the cards to fit properly, you must insert the card from the top first, slipping the card underneath a small plastic lip (the source of all the Vader card problems). If you don’t make sure the card is sitting flush beneath the lip, when the backer piece is inserted, the card will be bent. Even still, the card wobbles loosely inside the case since there is no point of contact, aside form the very top point, between the cardback and the joined front and back layers of the case.

Crappy.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2005, 10:51 PM »
I'm going to wait for Protecto-Pak to make cases that fit.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: May 5, 2005, 12:06 PM »
Has anyone seen these cases in stores lately?  I've been checking the MN Targets using the DPCI and I haven't seen hide-nor-hair of these cases.   :-\

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but the Hasbro news item and all information on the Target Cases has been removed from the website:

http://hasbro.com/starwars/pl/page.news/newsID.7A140BE5-D56F-E112-431048FE5DB47B3E/default.cfm

Curious... maybe the rumors that these were recalled by Hasbro are true?

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 5, 2005, 12:26 PM »
Hmmm... very interesting.  Hopefully Hasbro has learned their lesson and realized that a product specifically designed for collectors that damages what it's supposed to protect is NOT going to sell after word gets around. 

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 5, 2005, 12:52 PM »
Posted in another topic the 5 pack's DPCI is 087-06-1490, however, that DPCI is attached to the Target exclusive SA Clone Trooper. So unless they assigned a different DPCI to the 5 pack it appears that there won't be a 5 pack released at this time.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #29 on: May 5, 2005, 01:04 PM »
Has anyone seen these cases in stores lately?  I've been checking the MN Targets using the DPCI and I haven't seen hide-nor-hair of these cases.   :-\

I saw a bunch the other day ... either in Burnsville or Apple Valley because those are the only two I've been to recently.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)