Author Topic: 2003 Stanley Cup Playoffs / NHL news  (Read 44311 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2003, 03:03 PM »
I was about to say the same thing Brent...that is what I hate about LA and NY fans...oh the Dodgers suck so I'll glom on to the Angles now...oh the Angels suck again Go Dodgers!

Oh, don't you two start with me now...   :-X

I think we've been over this before, but I'll state it again:  I've been a diehard Lakers, Dodgers, Angels, Raiders, and Rams (and UCLA) fan my entire life - through the good and the bad (and even the relocations).  I usually go to 5-10 games a year for each of these (local) teams (including the Clippers), and watch almost every other game for them on the tube.

Am I more vocal when my teams are kicking butt?  Sure.  Doesn't mean that I've lost interest or loyalty in my other teams when they're sliding though, just not as much to talk (or gloat) about.  Might I say my teams are "sucking" right now sometimes?  Sure.  Doesn't mean I hate them and am not rooting for them anymore...

As for the Kings and Ducks in hockey - I was a pretty big hockey fan for about 10 years from the late 80's to around the late 90's (yes, coinciding with The Great One's arrival/departure).  But hockey's never been a favorite sport of mine, probably since it barely exists in SoCal (outside of NHL) and it's the one sport I've never really gotten involved in - so I'm not super loyal to the sport itself.

But the Kings have been boring and crappy for a while now, and the Ducks dumped the always exciting Teemu Selanne not long ago, so my hockey fandom has greatly diminished in recent years.  But I'll admit it that when either of these two teams (or the Clippers in the NBA) start to make some noise, I'm willing to regain my former interest in them and hop on the bandwagon.  So shoot me.

But that's only the case now with these three (though I used to be diehard for them not too long ago also) - not the others who I go through thick and thin with.  Basically, it just boils down to the fact that L.A./Orange County is a large enough area that we are fortunate enough to have a couple teams to root for in each major sport (*cough*NFL*).  That's not my fault though, now is it?  Following in my Dad's footsteps, I've rooted for ALL of my local sports teams since I was about 5 years old...

So get off me!   :P   :-*

* JediMAC slaps Brent and especially Scott for equating him to a fair-weather fan!  Then stomps off in a huff...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2003, 03:06 PM »
* OCB kicks JediMAC off every bandwagon cause he likes to make fun of him for being on the bandwagon all the time...Go Sparks!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2003, 03:12 PM by OCB »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2003, 03:11 PM »
Oh yeah, guess I should add the Sparks (WNBA) and the Galaxy (MLS) to my list of teams that I'm happy to bandwagon on!  Forgot about them...   :-*

* JediMAC slaps Scott once more for being a punk!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2003, 12:52 AM »
Well, Matt's going to be annoying for another series it appears.  3:00 left and the quackers are up by 1.  This would be a not insubstantial upset.  They deserve it though, a four game sweep is no fluke.  That is one might hot goaltender.  

OMG, what an ugly goal.  2-2.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2003, 01:57 AM »
Well, Matt's going to be annoying for another series it appears.  This would be a not insubstantial upset.  They deserve it though, a four game sweep is no fluke

Oh yes, more annoyance from JediMAC is certainly on the way, as my Ducks have just laid waste in an amazing series sweep over the defending Champion Red Wings!  Too easy...

If only Scott's T-Wolves could be so lucky...   lol   ;D

See you in Round 2!   8)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2003, 03:06 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2003, 07:20 AM »
Good to see the Wings go down in 4.  Guiere (sp?) is one hot goalie right now and goaltending wins championships.

Flyers-Leafs went to trip OT and the friggin game wasn't on in Boston  >:( >:(  Glad to see they tied the series up.  Next game is a Saturday matinee.  I'll actually be in the Philly area this weekend, so everything should be hopping.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2003, 10:35 PM »
Dallas 5, Edmonton 2 .  Ouch!  :(

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2003, 10:43 PM »
* DSJ  Slaps Oilers for losing the game.
 >:(

Maybe next year.

Dallas 3, Edmonton 2.  

Dallas wins series.

Offline Darth Paul

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2003, 11:28 PM »
 >:( >:( Well my second favourite team is gone and my favourite looks sure to follow soon  :'(

Oh well go Vancouver and Ottawa!  Somebody's got to bring the Cup back home!

God how I loathe the Stars........

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2003, 03:14 PM »
Now that my team is gone, Go Vancouver, Ottawa & Toronto. I agree, let's bring the Cup home.  :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2003, 03:29 PM »
Big game in Town tonight as the Wild look to pull even with the Avs, should be a great Game.  Go Wild everyone! :-*

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2003, 10:48 PM »
YES!  Game 7 here we come baby.  What a shocker if #2 and #3 would be done after the first round!  GO WILD BABY!

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2003, 07:43 AM »
Great night for hockey tonight.  Three game 7's.  Obviously I'm rooting for the Flyers to handle the Leafs.

I would like to see the Wild get an upset, but wouldn't be mad if they lost.  I have nothing against the Avs.

In the final game 7, I'll take the Blues.

GO FLYERS!!!!!!
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2003, 01:10 AM »

They did it!!!  Bring on the Canucks (who have owned the Wild all year) Sorry Thomas and all the Avs fans, The State of Hockey has some really good karma the last few weeks!

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2003, 03:12 PM »
DANGIT that gamed sucked!  I couldn't believe Roy let in that goal.  He was horrible in those last 3 games.  Way to close the door there boys.  I like how the Wild played but I am ticked they beat my team!  Oh, well at least Detroit lost (and hopefully soon Dallas)

I am not sure who to root for now, maybe the Flyers or the Ducks
Medical Droid Extrodinaire