Author Topic: 2003 Stanley Cup Playoffs / NHL news  (Read 44314 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #90 on: May 9, 2003, 12:50 AM »
It started with the Angles beating the Twins
It Continued with the Lakers killing the T-Pups

Time for some revenge...

I cannot believe they won that game, Cloutier is a sieve beyond belief.  Wild should have never been in a Game 7 if they could have won a couple of Face Offs earlier in the Series...

Gophers win the NCAA, time for the Wild to bring Lord Stanley's Cup to Minnesota!

Actually, I don't think they or Anaheim have a chance versus Ottawa or New Jersey...

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 9, 2003, 07:33 AM »

Actually, I don't think they or Anaheim have a chance versus Ottawa or New Jersey...

Me either, but I will definitely be rooting for whoever comes out of the West.  I'm pissed at Ottawa for knocking off my Flyers the past two years and have had a deep hatred for the Devils since I was a young'en.

Go Ducks (or Wild)!!

Go Wild (or Ducks)!!
Common sense isn't so common

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 9, 2003, 10:14 AM »
That was an unbelievable game last night, I thought the Canucks had them when it was 2-0.  The Wild got lucky just like they got lucky beating the Avs.  I think their luck is going down when they play the Ducks
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #93 on: May 9, 2003, 02:49 PM »
Their luck may run out you are right FX-7, they also may be a team of destiny.  I love having Lemaire as the team's coach, he knows the playoffs.

May not be the best Hockey in the world but I'll be loving every minute of it!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #94 on: May 9, 2003, 03:34 PM »
NHL idiots...3/4 of the people in North America do not live in California...plus I have to work in the morning

GAME 1:  ANA @ MIN
Sat., 3:00 PM

GAME 2:  ANA @ MIN
Mon., 7:30 PM

GAME 3:  MIN @ ANA
Wed., 9:00 PM

GAME 4:  MIN @ ANA
5/16, 10:30 PM

*GAME 5:  ANA @ MIN
5/18, 7:00 PM

*GAME 6:  MIN @ ANA
5/20, 10:30 PM

*GAME 7:  ANA @ MIN
5/22, 7:30 PM

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 9, 2003, 04:50 PM »
I don't know Scott, I'm starting to worry about your status as a fan.  ;) First the comment last night about not being able to watch, now this?  C'mon, it's hockey season, relish the fact you get to stay up late and drink beer?  Or is Max keeping you up in the middle of the night :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #96 on: May 9, 2003, 05:02 PM »
Yep, I got a whole 4 hours of sleep last night, 1 year molars are coming in...hockey game went until around midnight...rough night, worth it though cause they won!

I used to stay up until midnight-1 every night, now I am lucky to get to 11.  All I am saying is there is no reason they need to schedule 10:30 PM(Eastern) Hockey games...especially in the conference finals.  Isn't the NHL in trouble, don't they need to build a fan base???

Idiots

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 9, 2003, 05:15 PM »
Aw, I'm just messing with ya.  My daughter just turned 3, she just finished second molars, is in a new "big-girl" bed and wakes up in the middle of the night and comes to our room.  Every night.  I can relate.  

I've almost resigned myself to never having a normal night's sleep again.  

As regards the NHL, I thought they were in trouble as soon as they grabbed Bettman.  Look at all the non-traditional markets.  This ain't baseball or basketball where a kid can get a pickup game going with a minimum of equipment.  Sorry, but North Carolina, Florida and the rest of California just aren't hockey hotbeds.  LA has always supported the Kings to some degree.  

You can relate because you were without a team for a while after the Stars (nee North Stars) left.  Imagine how frustrating it is as a guy that used to go to 10 games a year (as a student yet) and watch Carolina average realistically about 4500 fans per game.  Even when the Jets set the record for futility in a season (longest winless streak ever), we still averaged about 12000 fans per game in a horrible building.  That jumped to about 13500 when they were playing well.  I'd have seasons if they were still here.  

No offense to the great hockey fans in the US, but much more so than baseball or basketball, the NHL is simply not meant to be in the US to the extent it is.  The average US viewer gets less excited about hockey than they do bowling.  Keep it in the US where it belongs, bring it back to Canada where it needs to be (Winnipeg, Hamilton, Quebec City) and leave it alone.  The impending strike/lockout of next year is going to be ugly and devastating.  

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2003, 03:56 PM »
Though I can't feel your pain with the time scheduling conflicts on West Cost games, I can definitely sympathize...

No idea why they can't bump the West Coast games up by at least an hour, if not more.  Doesn't seem fair at all to the the general viewing public.  My only guess is that since SoCal fans usually arrive so late to games, and it usually takes at least an hour or more to drive to most places around here with the disgustingly horrendous traffic, the NHL must be figuring that if the game was any earlier than 7:30, the arena would most likely be empty...

That's my theory anyways...   :P

I'd imagine things are even worse when you consider the Ducks rather odd propensity for enjoying going into at least one overtime in every other game they play...   ;)

See you guys in a few hours, Mr. Duck Hunter...   :-*
« Last Edit: May 12, 2003, 03:59 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2003, 09:43 PM »
Not 1 but two Short Handed Goals ???

The third and fourth of the Playoffs ???

Horrible :'(

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2003, 01:22 AM »
Geez.  How the hell early do you guys start games out there?!?  I clicked ESPN.com to catch a score, and the game was already over by 8pm out here.  What's up wit dat?!  Man, that's a messed up way to treat your West Coast hockey fans out here with such freaking early games that we're not even out of work by the time it's over!   :P

Well, it's 10:15pm here, and I'm still not out of work, so I guess it didn't really matter now huh?   :-\

But at least the rubber Duckies swiped another one, with two shorthanders no less!  Wow!  They just continue to impress, and have the hottest goaltender in the postseason so far, which will usually get your far in the playoffs...  Hopefully Giguere can stay hot for just a couple more weeks here...   8)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2003, 01:28 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2003, 10:51 PM »
I'm still cheering for Ottawa, but...  Dang, Brodeur is good.  Not that Lalime sucks, but tonight Brodeur was great as he has been so often in the past.  Methinks the Sens were a little cocky heading into the game.  

I fear though that a Giguere-Brodeur final may kill the game in the US.  7 consecutive triple overtime games all ending 1-0.  Old time hockey, Toe Blake, Eddie Shore.  Sure thing Coach.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2003, 01:58 PM »
"The Turning Point" Game 3 Tonight, the Wild have been unbelievable on the road in the Playoffs, I fear they hit the wall though and have nothing left.  Getting a goal early may be all they need though.  Glad to see it is on at 8 tonight (that is 6 your time Blocky)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2003, 11:00 PM »
I'll be happy if they score 1 goal in 4 games  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2003, 11:02 PM »
I must say, I am expressing some relief that Matt was indeed a chicken and never took that bet.  Whew!