Author Topic: 2003 Stanley Cup Playoffs / NHL news  (Read 44306 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #60 on: May 2, 2003, 10:55 PM »
Traitor. :o ;)

I still cheer for a Canadian team anytime. But you have to agree, those Ducks are Hot! Just something about Dallas I just don't like.  ;D

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 2, 2003, 10:56 PM »
Scott's right there with you.  And for reasons I totally understand.  No way I would ever cheer for the Coyotes.

Double OT is over and going to number 3 in Jersey.  

After 7 seasons without an NHL franchise, I'm a Senators fan now.  Had to pick a Canuckian team.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 2, 2003, 11:26 PM »
Jersey's off to round 3.  Niedermayer gets me another point ;D

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 3, 2003, 12:12 AM »
Uh-oh, 4 minute power play for the Canucks.  Kind of a cheesy penalty, but a good call.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 3, 2003, 12:19 AM »
Uh-oh was indeed correct.  Wild had a great chance on a partial breakaway during the penalty, but not to be.

Canucks get the goal with about 15 seconds left on the power play.  Cnaucks lead series 3-1 (I think).

G'night

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #65 on: May 3, 2003, 12:26 AM »
The high stick was OK, 4 minutes was rough, the cheesiest penalty was the hook in regulation that sent it to 4 on 4...horrible

Oh well...might as all lose in the same week. Go Twins!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 3, 2003, 12:29 AM »
Get some sleep Mr. play by play.    :-*

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #67 on: May 5, 2003, 12:03 AM »
Ugh, that was a nice slap in the face reality check the Ducks got there yesterday.  First blowout of the series.  Getting a tad nervous now...   :-\  Hopefully they polish it off tomorrow, 'cause I don't want to deal with a Game 7 nailbiter!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 5, 2003, 12:55 AM »
Real interesting point in the series.  Finally, finally some team figured out Giguere.  Is it enough though?  Should be a great game tomorrow night.  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #69 on: May 5, 2003, 03:51 PM »
Do or die time again for the Wild in Game 5.  I am still amazed at how easliy this series could be 3-1 Wild instead of the other way.  A Canadian Cup could still happen...

GO WILD

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 6, 2003, 12:07 AM »
Looks like the Dallas game is the one to watch (so far)  2-2 in the second period.

Minnesota seems mildly hungry in this one, 4 mintues left in the second, 6-1.  Cliff Ronning just scored.  Looks like this one is going back to Minnesota for game 6.  I'd be impressed with the Canucks if they come back and win this one, but it doesn't seem likely.  

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #71 on: May 6, 2003, 05:51 AM »
Wow.  Just wow.  Ducks are moving on!  Disposed of the top two seeds in the West!  These guys are just amazing, and a joy to watch.  Something about overachieving, gutsy, teams from Anaheim, just gives me a real warm feeling inside...   ;D  Now good luck to the Wild, so Scott and I can get it on AGAIN!

On a serious note, would one of you hockey loving Canuckleheads please explain to me when exactly the two sports of soccer and hockey merged?!?  Please...  WTF is going on with that Dallas game tying goal with 4 minutes left?  Since when does KICKING and redirecting a puck out of midair into the goal count?  Every commentator and sportcaster all night was saying no way in hell that goal should've counted.  And they still got it wrong WITH instant replay!   >:(  :-X  I almost went completely insane and beligerent when they called that goal good after 10 minutes of reviewing it...  ::)  Absolutely crooked, dispacable ruling there, that could've cost us the game.

Thank GOD (who I had just denounced with great conviction on the allowed goal) that the Ducks came right back with the game winner just a couple minutes later to polish off the series.  Poetic justice.  And there IS a God...  :)

Still trying not to get my hopes up though.  I think I've become a little more cautious after that Raider fiasco in the Super Bowl, when it comes to expectations for my teams to win it all...  But the Ducks should feel free to aleviate that fear, and take the CUP!   8)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 7, 2003, 11:12 AM »
Actually, the ducks play hideously boring, trapping hockey that sucks the life and joy out of the game.  It wins, but it's tantamount to blasphemy.  

As regards kicking or knocking the puck out of the air, well, kicking is a no-no, but it depends on whether there was forward motion of the foot or simply a deflection off the foot/skate.  Redirecting with the stick in the air is allowed, so long as the contact with the stick is not above the waist.  Tough call there and other goals in the playoffs of questionable nature have been allowed.  One of the OT goals in the first round was allowed that was clearly a high stick.

Oh yeah, if you are watching US based hockey announcers, I'd have very little faith in their opinions.  No offence, but they tend to be transplanted baseball guys that really don't understand the game very well (unless perhaps they are out of the traditional hockey grounds - MInnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #73 on: May 7, 2003, 11:26 PM »

Game 7 here we come, Wild are up 5-1, why in Sam Hell is it tomorrow night though...idiots :-*

« Last Edit: May 7, 2003, 11:27 PM by OCB »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 7, 2003, 11:31 PM »
Tomorrow mostly because the idiots that schedule never thought it would go to game 7.  Also, they had the extra day off in between.  Pure genious.