Author Topic: Class Reunions  (Read 4168 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Class Reunions
« on: April 7, 2003, 05:24 PM »
In a sign that I am approaching that sure sign of oldness my 10 year High School class reunion is coming up this summer.  I haven't totally decided on if I want to go or not yet...

I was pretty much a geek in school I still had plenty of friends, some I haven't seen since graduation night so in that sense it would be fun.

I also am well beyond high school and most of my important friends I still see, not sure I want see some of the people I don't see and pay $30 to relive 1993 all over again...

Any of the older crew go to any of theirs?

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Class Reunions
« Reply #1 on: April 7, 2003, 09:13 PM »
I went to my 10-year reunion two years ago (graduated high school in 1991), and I had a pretty "blah" time there.  None of my closer friends (back in the high school days) were there, so I sat at a table of some no-name people.  All the little groups and niches were back to normal (i.e. jocks hung out together, stuck-up girls hung out together, etc).  You think people would have changed for the better and matured a bit, but that wasn't the case.  Nobody mingled at all that night.  The people who ran the thing decided to make a photo album on their website (can't remember the URL though), and all the pictures on that site were of the people who ran the reunion.  Was a total joke.

I was very disappointed about my 10-year reunion.  I had more fun at my wife's reunion, and I didn't know one single person there.
dustrho

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 7, 2003, 10:26 PM »
I got invited to my five year class reunion, but figured Id just spend the entire evening telling everyone there how much I hate them (hey, I still hate people from high school and dont even remember why with some of them). So I decided not to go. Im going to save all of my rage up another five years and cram it down their throats then ;)
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #3 on: April 7, 2003, 10:29 PM »
I got invited to my five year class reunion, but figured Id just spend the entire evening telling everyone there how much I hate them (hey, I still hate people from high school and dont even remember why with some of them). So I decided not to go. Im going to save all of my rage up another five years and cram it down their throats then ;)

That sounds like an awesome scheme you have cooking there!        8)
dustrho

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: April 8, 2003, 04:31 PM »
That sounds exactly why i have no desire to head to said event.  There are some people like I said that I haven't seen since graduation night that I wouldn't mind talking to again.  Some people I have lost contact with etc.  But, there is 300 of the 400 people I graduated with who I'd never care if  I did see again.  Tough call and probably not worth the $60, maybe the 20 year reunion when everyone is fatter and balder

Offline max_one

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 8, 2003, 07:54 PM »
that is why i will never go to my reunion.

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 9, 2003, 10:10 AM »
I went to my 5 year and skipped my 10 year.  The 5 year was just like high school but I will say that the groups were somewhat together but they did mingle and tried to catch up with everyone. My 10 year wanted to go but couldn't make it. My advice if your curious I would go, I don't know if it will be worth 60 bucks but hey if drinks and food are free why not you can always leave early.

Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2003, 12:51 PM »
I officially decided I am not going when I found out it is $40 a person.  No way no how will I relive the glory years for that price.  Better come down for the 20 year!

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2003, 03:12 PM »
The older you get the more extravegant the outting will be, so it's doubtful prices will go down in the future.
dustrho

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2003, 03:21 PM »
So its more doubtful I'll ever see them again :-*  Nah I've been thinking today that I should go just to see what its like, then I never need to go again.  I've also heard wait until the 20 year since a lot of people really haven't changed to much in 10 years

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2003, 05:58 PM »
I skipped my 5 year one and went to the 10...waste of time.  Everyone I wanted to stay in touch with I have and I hate the "Do you recognize me?" game anyway....
Beth

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2003, 10:26 AM »
Well, 10 year reunion is next week.  I am still undecided if I am actually going to event itself but my buddy is having a big pre-reunion party next Friday night.  I'll be there with bells on :-*

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2003, 11:58 AM »
I left my high school in CA my Junior year to move to WA. So I have TWO 10 year reunions this year.

I'm going to NEITHER.  I'm still friends with a bunch of the people I knew from those days, and those who I'm not, I know how to get in touch with. None of us are going. Everyone else....I really don't need to know how they're doing now, because I sure didn't care when I was there.

However, my girlfriend has decided she wants to go to hers, and she'd really like it if I came. She gave me the option to back out of it, but I figure I should go out of duty. So....instead of going to my own high school reunion and having a crappy time, I'm going to someone else's and having an even crappier time.

I don't know what the logic is there, but I'm sure there is some.
Got Clones?

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2003, 09:43 PM »
One thing that really pissed me off at my 10-year reunion is that one of my really good friends didn't even recognize me.  He walked up to my wife and I and asked HER, "Boy do you look great!  What was your name again?  I know we had some classes together, but I just can't place your name."  He was talking to her as if they went to high school together.  He didn't recognize me at all!  That really bothered me.
dustrho

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2003, 02:53 AM »
I have my 5-year coming up next year. It will be a cold day in hell before I actually want to see those people again. So no, I'm not going.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk