Author Topic: New JD Review: C-3PO (ROTS version)  (Read 3833 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New JD Review: C-3PO (ROTS version)
« on: September 3, 2005, 11:34 PM »

This week we are taking a close look at C-3PO (ROTS).  The 3PO has become one of the hot figures in the Revenge line overall actually.  I've seen him on April 2nd and never again.  I'm very glad I bought him that day too since he's been really impossible to find for many.

The figure's not too bad either.  It has pop-off limbs/head too which I always appreciate.  I don't quite understand WHY though, or if 3PO had this incorporated in ROTS but it got cut, but it's welcome nonetheless.

The weird thing about the construction of the figure is that at each point of articulation that pops off the figure has a "socket" built into it of a plastic that has flexibility.  This keeps the figure from going all loosey goosey on you when you've posed him a bit too much.  It's a good feature, and it's funny but this design would lend itself well to Hasbro articulating a 3PO at the knees, wrists, and numerous other joints.  The days of a SA 3PO maybe are just around the corner then?

And that's where this figure sort of fails...  Hasbro could've articulated him a bit more and they chose not to.  Still, the figure looks good on the pegs, it's been "hot", and it should replace the MMC 3PO sculpt as the top sculpt to re-release in the future.  I know I'd buy the ROTS sculpt again with a silver shin if it were offered.

At least till that SA C-3PO comes out...  :)  Come on, you know you want one!

So, share your thoughts and all that... 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: New JD Review: C-3PO (ROTS version)
« Reply #1 on: September 4, 2005, 04:39 AM »
Nice review Jesse. I really do enjoy reading these. I wish I had picked up 3PO. I've seen him only 2 or 3 times. From the sound of your review I missed out on a good one. I wish he had more articulation but the ball joint waist sounds cool, it is a step in the right direction.
"This is the way."

Offline Mike16

• Youngling
  • As you wish...
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #2 on: September 4, 2005, 06:04 AM »
Good review, I've had a bit of a problem with this figure though. After I heard that his limbs were removable, I gave it a go only to snap one of leg pegs. And as you mentioned, hes one of the rarer ones so I had to spend a couple of months looking :'( Finally found one though, at an ok price, and haven't tried removing the limbs again!

Having said that, it is my fav C-3PO to date, the sculpt is accurate and the ball joint waste is cool too. I'm also eagerly awaiting a 3PO with knee articulation too though

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 4, 2005, 12:17 PM »
I found him 5 times, and passed because I have enough 3P0's.  In the final 12 EE has him in one of the case assortments so IF I find him again, and IF I have the extra cash, I may reconsider. Even after your review Jeff, I am still very heisitant becasue I just don't see enough yet to justify spending $6 on a figure I have plenty of. I may just wait for that SA C3P0.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: September 5, 2005, 03:54 AM »
One of the things that made the figure standout to me was how amazingly superior to the VOTC one it is.  I mean, there's no contest.

Granted, this is like comparing POTF2 Luke Tatooine to the Flashback figure...  Night and day, but a short distance in years apart really.  The VOTC figure, for what anyone paid that bought it, should've been the better figure obviously.

I'm not quite sure where Hasbro's head was on that VOTC...  And I'm sorry to hear about your 3PO's leg breaking Mike, that's weird.  MIne is suprrisingly sturdy or I certainly would've made mention of that.  I can't even say that he's SUPPOSED to have removable limbs but he does.  They definitely aren't made to be in there too tight either.

He's a good figure, and good enough to replace all other current sculpts I think, but short of suping up the articulation, I think Hasbro's hard-pressed to give us a "new" 3PO.

They need one with joints where the metal plating separates utilizing these "sockets" they have.  And a hinge hidden at the knees is very doable I believe then.  Short of that though, I don't see us really needing another 3PO.  Just an articulated one that can make everyone happy.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Mike16

• Youngling
  • As you wish...
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #5 on: September 5, 2005, 07:46 AM »
I'm sure too that the limbs are meant to be removable, as they are quite loose. On the current one I have, you only need to move the leg upward into a sitting position and it pops out. But generally, I've had more things break in the ROTS than any other. Not through playing with them, just posing etc. I'm guessing they've used different plastics or something, pretty much every elbow cut joint pops out in this line

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 12:47 AM »
pretty much every elbow cut joint pops out in this line

It's not cause of the plastics, actually. it's because the joints were made very shallow unlike the ones before, so they pop out more easily because of it -- not because of lower-quality plastic.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 01:56 AM »
I think it's a combination at times...  Sometimes the plastic's just fine, however I've noticed some have a lot of flex too generally implying an inferior plastic that COULD attribute to limbs popping out...

I agree though that a lot of it is a shallow socket combined iwth a less than "solid" post for in the socket.  I'm ok with limbs popping off if it means more articulation, so long as the limb doesn't FALL off like when my figure's just standing around.  :) 

I can pop the limb right back into the socket aok.  It does it all the time on the Imperial Officer figure but that's still a nice army builder irregardless!  Just pop that arm in and keep on going, hehe.

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 01:39 AM »
Okay, I found one today on my way home from work at a Wally, and I bought him, and I am glad I did. Though not perfect, he is a good addition to the ROTS line. Looks like Wally is dumping out all their older cases from the warehouse.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 04:22 AM »
Yeah I got one today too with a blue guard. WM's clearing their wherehouses while they wait for the new cases ::)