Author Topic: Customs for Disaster Relief Project  (Read 71365 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Customs for disaster relief
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2005, 08:11 PM »
Actually, Master_Phruby kinda misunderstood what I meant. I didn't mean to have the SW fansites host the auctions, just to put them on the front pages with links, telling fans and visitors that the auctions were for disaster relief. We wouldn't have to post it "officially" at ebay this way, but people would still know that they were. That's what I meant.

Although, I'm sure that we could always do just what Phruby is suggesting - just have people email in a bid on a figure, and then the highest bid would win. Kinda the same thing that ebay does. We just wouldn't get as much exposure that way, I think.

We'd be better off making a page that explains what we are doing and just putting a link inside of each auction, showing the visitors/potential bidders what the idea is behind this whole thing.

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2005, 08:35 PM »
I second that Jokabofe.

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2005, 08:46 PM »
I see what you're saying jokabofe.  I think that is a good idea and I agree that more people would see the auction if we put it up on eBay and at various collecting sites. 
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2005, 09:52 AM »
The only problem with ebay is that we have to pay the fees on the auctions. I'd like to see 100% of the winning bid go to the red cross instead of just 90%. That is why I suggested we do the auctions ourselves.  I sure someone could come up with a page that could track bids. There is probably web software out there that can manage auctions for a web site.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2005, 12:47 PM »
The only problem with ebay is that we have to pay the fees on the auctions. I'd like to see 100% of the winning bid go to the red cross instead of just 90%.

OK, now I'm a little lost... are we donating this money to the Red Cross or are we giving it to Darth_Ennis? If it's just to the Red Cross in general, it can be done through ebay by following the directions I posted above.

If we want to give the proceeds to one particular person, we'll have to work some other arrangements out. I was under the impression that this was what we wanted to do...   ???

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2005, 12:57 PM »
I just expanded your suggestion into something bigger than just helping one person with a couple of auctions advertised on the front page here.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Star Wars Customizing-AID spread out over multiple fan web sites. Each site would have its members donate items to bid on. The site that donates the most money to the red cross gets the bragging rights.

Just something bigger to help even more people.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2005, 07:25 PM »
Well, I think I'm going to "test the waters" with this idea, so to speak. I'm going to post an auction later tonight for one of my custom figures, and when posting it I'm going to click on the "Donate 100% of proceeds to charity" and select the American Red Cross/Hurricane Katrina Relief fund as the recipient of my donation. The only thing I don't like about this is that I need to put my credit card information in, and they will basically charge my card for the amount of the auction end price... meaning if I don't get paid, I'm gonna end up donating the money out of my own pocket... something I really can't afford to do at the moment. Especially since this is a check card that I use, connected to my bank account...

But, I guess we'll see what happens. I'm going to post a blurb about it on the front page here with a link to the auction, and then I'm going to email all the other websites about it, with a link to the auction, and we'll see if they post it on their front pages as well. Keep an eye out for it  ;)

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2005, 08:34 PM »
Phruby- Red5sixx already said he would cover the E-Bay fees, as his part of the donation for Darth Ennis.

So are we ready to do this? Does everyone have a custom ready?

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2005, 10:57 PM »
Consider me in, though I don't know what I will donate... DD, if you want to PM me your address I will get something mailed to you.   ;)

:P

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2005, 11:48 PM »
Well, I posted my auction this evening... I'm going to post it on the front page, as well as sending and email to as many of the other Star Wars Collecting sites that I can, and hope that they will all post it on their front page as well.

Super Articulated Red ARC Trooper

If you know of any sites that would be interested in posting some of the listings, feel free to either send them here to this thread to read about it, or have them contact someone that has been posting here.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2005, 12:10 AM »
Here's the list of sites that I've emailed about this:

Rebelscum
Galactic Hunter
TheForce.net
Yakface.com
FFURG
NiubNiub's Universe
thejawa.com

Any others you can suggest? I'm sure there are a ton more than this out there... I just don't know too many.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 12:18 AM by jokabofe »

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2005, 12:27 AM »
Count me in as well! Just PM me on the address and I'll send something ASAP!

I have no idea what to send yet, but I'll send something :P

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2005, 09:37 AM »
It would be interesting to see which ones post it and who ignores it.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2005, 12:00 PM »
But, I guess we'll see what happens. I'm going to post a blurb about it on the front page here with a link to the auction, and then I'm going to email all the other websites about it, with a link to the auction, and we'll see if they post it on their front pages as well. Keep an eye out for it  ;)

Consider the bidding underway... I always wanted a nice weathered custom figure! ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2005, 12:29 PM »
Looks like good 'ol www.yakface.com posted it!  Always one of my favorite sites, and the first place I started chatting online back around 97 or so when I met some great people like Landothescoundrel, Dimetrodon, Jedirhino, Gatillo, etc.

:P