Author Topic: Translucent Weapons  (Read 4862 times)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Translucent Weapons
« on: September 10, 2005, 10:05 PM »
I recently got a Bespin blaster whose plastic is far more translucent than I've ever seen before. I'm aware that some of the early 21 figures came with weapons that had a translucent flare along the edges, most notably Chewbacca's bowcaster, but I've not heard anything about a weapon whose translucence goes deep. And until doing research on the topic I had not heard of any ESB-era weapons having the translucent flare, but apparently it was the case with 31-back figures.

But now I have this Bespin blaster who is translucent for the majority of it's bottom half and a pinch up top. I don't believe it to be a repro as it does not have any of the telltale signs of a repro, when away from a concentrated light source it matches the color of other blasters, it is molded accordingly, and the drop sound is ok.

So I'm curious to know what I have here, is this a blaster that just had a bad piece of plastic during the molding process 25 years ago? Is this something more commonly found than I'm aware of?

Here's a comparison pic with a regular Bespin blaster, the translucent one is on top.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Translucent Weapons
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 12:11 AM »
Jason,

Sorry, I do not have anything to contribute to this, I tried a quick search over at Scum and could not find anything on the topic.

Best Regards,

DBK

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 12:55 AM »
Thanks for checking DBK, the scum forums were one of the places I looked and that's where I found the reference to the translucent flare showing up on weapons from 31-back figures. The mystery remains open....
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 9, 2006, 07:42 PM »
I thought I'd bump this guy up since we've seen more people posting as of late in the Vintage section. Any help would be keen guys, thanks!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: January 9, 2006, 08:18 PM »
I've got similar weapons.  I have an almost completely translucent Stormie rifle Jason, and a Jawa gun.  They aren't repro's as far as I can tell either, showing none of the signs, so I'm guessing they're just a different mix on the plastic used in the production process.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CanadianCollector

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 9, 2006, 09:27 PM »
I've got similar weapons.  I have an almost completely translucent Stormie rifle Jason, and a Jawa gun.  They aren't repro's as far as I can tell either, showing none of the signs, so I'm guessing they're just a different mix on the plastic used in the production process.

Ditto. 

-Mike
www.womprat.com

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 9, 2006, 09:31 PM »
I would guess a different plastic mix as well. In looking through my blasters to place the right colors with the right figures, I noticed various shades of the blue/black ones and would only speculate that varients like yours could have been easily manufactured.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 9, 2006, 09:38 PM »
I have a Bespin blaster the same as yours and the tip of the barrel is a bit translucent plus I have 2 Jawa guns and a Imperial Blaster just like Jesse's. Lots of translucent in that sucker.

I'm with everyone else on this being a different mix of plastic.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 9, 2006, 11:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies all. I have been leaning towards a different mix of plastic as well, I'm just wondering at this point how prevalent deep tranluscency in the weapons are. Are we talking something that can be pinpointed to a certain timeframe or even a certain country of origin? Could be intriguing to know if anyone has looked at this further.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 10:28 PM »
I, too, have near transparent blasters - and was always suspicious as to wether or not it was a fake. Good to know I'm not the only one who has a few.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 11:43 PM »
A few of my vintage figures have weapons that are translucent... about 20% are so translucent, they are invisible.  :P