Author Topic: NFL 2005-06  (Read 54942 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Regular Season 2005-06
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2005, 12:09 AM »
So, does anyone think Indy will go the entire season without losing? 5 more games, and only 1 or 2 teams in there that I think even have half a shot at beating them.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2005, 12:53 AM »
By week 13 or 14 Indy could have home field wrapped up.  If they do, they'll probably start sitting Manning and Edge and Harrison and every other starter they can to avoid any injuries from affecting their post season run.  They plan on going all the way this year and aren't going to risk any catastrophic injuries.  So, I'm guessing that they lose a game that to them will be meaningless sometime in the next few weeks.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2005, 01:26 AM »
I think, and I'm die-hard Steelers even in losing seasons for us, that Indy is pretty near unstoppable.  I think they're a better team than NE was last year, and NE I had much respect for (however I thought the Steelers COULD have dominated NE at any turn but they just didn't).

I love my team, but the Colts just look great and even when they didn't look good tonight htey still held their own.  That's the sign of a winner IMO so I think they easily could go undefeated.

I can see Rob's scenario of them resting guys too though and not taking it all, but I think they wouldn't rest EVERYONE, just select people at select times...  And if their schedule (I don't know it to say) is easy then even with people resting up they could still win... 

And in Pittsburgh we took a breath and have all moved on to the next day's challenge.  ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2005, 02:12 AM »
I for one hope they do go undefeated - just to get rid of those obnoxious retired Dolphins and their stupid champaign.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2005, 08:57 AM »
I think, and I'm die-hard Steelers even in losing seasons for us, that Indy is pretty near unstoppable.  I think they're a better team than NE was last year, and NE I had much respect for (however I thought the Steelers COULD have dominated NE at any turn but they just didn't).

I love my team, but the Colts just look great and even when they didn't look good tonight htey still held their own.  That's the sign of a winner IMO so I think they easily could go undefeated.

I can see Rob's scenario of them resting guys too though and not taking it all, but I think they wouldn't rest EVERYONE, just select people at select times...  And if their schedule (I don't know it to say) is easy then even with people resting up they could still win... 

And in Pittsburgh we took a breath and have all moved on to the next day's challenge.  ::)

The loss last night didn't bother me that much. They looked so much better than us. They're a really good team.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2005, 04:39 PM »
Colts did look amazing last night.  If they keep playing that way, they are Super Bowl bound.  The only game I can see them losing is to the Seahawks cause by that time the Big 3 might be kicking back on the bench.  I hope they run the table though.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 29, 2005, 11:47 PM »
But do you really think they would sit the "Big 3" if they are 14-0 going into Seattle? I would find that hard to believe. Same as I would find it hard to believe that Holmgren would sit any of his best players (Hasselback, Alexander) if Seattle is 12-2 or 11-3 at that point, just to rest them. If the Colts are 14-0 I would have to say that all the big guys would play just to keep the undefeated streak alive. If they happen to stumble somewhere before then, and end up 13-1 at that point, I would sit my big players. Otherwise, they are all playing until they lose a game.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2005, 09:33 AM »
I think the Lions should have canned Millen instead of Mariucci.  How that man keeps his job is a mystery. 

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2005, 03:50 PM »
True Dave, but they also have to look at the big picture.  16-0 is pretty irrelevant if you don't win the Super Bowl.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2005, 04:06 PM »
I agree with Jason, the Colts are thinking Superbowl - and they'll have a bye week, and they'll have HFA, and they'll want everyone rested, and healthy.  Having followed Tony Dungy for his years in Tampa, I'm quite confident that he's more concerned with being ready for the playoffs than regular season records.

Who knows though, maybe they'll throw the starters in for a half to keep them from getting rusty then pull them all if they build up a big lead.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 1, 2005, 03:24 PM »
I guess we didn't think about the flipside: if the Seahawks rap up home field, will they rest their big guns?

Read in the LA Times sports section from Tuesday that Dungy told SportsIllustrated.com that if the Colts clinched home-field advantage throughout the playoffs, they might rest their regulars.  He was asked about that after the Steelers game, reiterated his stance but did not commit to anything.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 1, 2005, 08:42 PM »
I guess we didn't think about the flipside: if the Seahawks rap up home field, will they rest their big guns?

I think it depends. On the one hand, if they have home field wrapped up by week 15 (when they play Indy) I would still think they would play the starters for most of the game, just to see what happens. I say that only because they did have a pretty soft schedule so far, and the last few games are not much harder with the exception of Indy. I would think that Holmgren would like the chance to see what his #1 guys can do against a decent defense like Indy. With the exception of Jacksonville, Dallas and the Giants, they haven't played a really good defense yet this season. And they lost to the Jags, and almost lost to Dallas and the Giants.

I would have said at the beginning of the season that this week's upcoming game against Philly would have been like an NFC Championship preview of sorts, but with the disarray that the Eagles are in right now I don't think it should be a tough game at all. After that, Seattle has San Fran come in, go to Tennesee, have Indy come in, and then go to Green Bay. The San Fran and GB games should be pretty much gimmes (although the last SF game was kinda close, closer than it should have been), the Tennesee game is a game they should win, and then of course it's Indy. So it's not over yet for my 'Hawks, but pretty much just beginning.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 1, 2005, 08:55 PM »
True Dave, but they also have to look at the big picture.  16-0 is pretty irrelevant if you don't win the Super Bowl.

But is it, really? Think about this:

If Indy goes 16-0, they will be the first team EVER to go a 16 game season without losing a game. The '72 Dolphins were 14-0, they only played 14 game seasons back then. I think that winning 16 straight games during the regular season shows more domination than winning a Super Bowl. The SB can be won or lost on one stupid play, or one lucky catch, or one missed field goal. Winning 16 straight games, 8 on the road and 8 at home, is a lot more impressive than winning the Super Bowl. Of course, I know that winning the SB is what playing football is all about.

BUT...

If Indy wins the Super Bowl, they will be the 19th team to win (Green Bay x3, N Y Jets, Baltimore (Colts), Kansas City, Miami x2, Pittsburgh x4, Oakland x2, Dallas x5, San Fran x4, Washington x3, L A (Raiders), Chicago, N Y Giants x2, Denver x2, St. Louis Rams, Baltimore (Ravens), New England x3, Tampa Bay). It's not like they are going to be the first team to win, and it's not like there has been a year where there was no winner. There will always be a SB winner every year, because it's inevitable - there HAS to be one. Unless of course there is a strike or lockout or whatever. There doesn't HAVE to be a 16-0 team every year, there never has been.

I'm just saying that I personally think that going 16-0 is a more impressive record than winning the Super Bowl. I know I'm probably in the 1% of people with this thinking, and I guess I would be pretty upset if my team went 16-0 and lost in the Super Bowl.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 2, 2005, 12:00 AM »
See to me, what you do in the regular season means nothing if you don't win it all, especially if you are the favorite.  Perfect example is the '96 Red Wings.  They won a record 62 games that year and got bounced by the Avs in the Western Conference Finals.  As a result, you almost never hear that regular season record win total mentioned.  Had they won it all, you would hear them mentioned as one of the greatest teams ever.  If the Colts went 16-0, yes it's an amazing accomplishment, something never done in the NFL, but if they don't get the rings to go with it, it's a very empty and almost meaningless 16-0.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 2, 2005, 12:11 AM »
I do agree that going 16-0 and not winning the big game sucks. And I don't think that comparing the Wings 62 wins with an undefeated season for the Colts is the same. If the Wings had gone undefeated through the season, and then lost in the playoffs, don't you think you would hear about it? The undefeated season, I mean.

Just like last year, Pittsburgh was 15-1 and got bounced. Obviously, it's not an undefeated season, but it's as close as you can get. And nobody really mentions that. But I think that a perfect 16-0 season is a tougher task then winning the Super Bowl. Like I said, I'm sure that I'm in the 1% that would think this, but what can I do?  :D