Author Topic: Favorite Vehicles?  (Read 3362 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Favorite Vehicles?
« on: September 12, 2005, 10:42 AM »
Ok, this sort of covers all the lines (POTF2, TPM, POTJ, Saga, OTC, ROTS, even vintage), so I wasn't quite sure where to put this.  I thought since "The Saga Collection" would be the first line that truly encompassed the entire Saga, this might be good.  If not, feel free to move it mods :).  After reading a number of positive comments on the "new wings" TIE Fighter, I was wondering what are some of your favorite vehicles of the line?  A favorte, a top 5, top 10, or rank them all, I was just curious which vehicles are your favorites...or you think are the best.  Is your decision based on your "movie favorites", or just the fact that it is a nice toy/sculpt?  Maybe scale has a lot to do with it, as it seems very few are actually in line in that area.  Overall, which vehicles/ships do you feel are the best of the line so far?  I personally don't have all of the ships from the POTF2 era (still looking to pick them up over the next few years here and there, unless they are re-released)...but here's a few of my favorites:

Millennium Falcon (Vintage/POTF2/OTC/ROTS) - I know it isn't anywhere "to scale", but it has always been my favorite ship of the Saga.  Plus, I had a blast with the vintage version as a kid too.  It basically became my carrying case as well, throwing all my figures in the back and going off to imagine up some sort of adventure.

Landspeeder (Saga) - One of my favorites of the whole line, and maybe my most favorite.  The sculpt, scale, etc. all looks great to me.  It just looks nice on the shelf, and really seems like a good representation of the film version to me.

FX X-Wing (POTF2) - I got this for $20 on clearance, and it is to date the only X-Wing I've ever known.  Its a good size, and looks nice as well I think.  Plus, it has some electronics, which is sometimes missed nowadays in the new vehicles/re-releases.  I sometimes wish it had an "empty" cockpit, so I could put an actual figure in there, but otherwise I do like this ship quite a bit.

Slave 1 (OTC) - Repainted Jango's Slave 1, and I like the increase in size/detail of the newer sculpt.  Always a favorite ship of mine as well, and I think this one looks pretty nice.  I know it isn't everyone's favorite, but I like it.

ARC 170 (ROTS) - I usually lean more towards OT stuff, but this is just a nice ship.  Big ship for a fairly decent price.  I like the OT-ish feel to it (and other ROTS vehicles), and I could see it being a lot of fun for kids as well.

Jedi Starfighters (ROTS) - For some reason, I just really like the Obi-Wan and Anakin starfighters from ROTS.  I have the first release versions (not the TRU repaints), and I like both of them.  Just seem like nice ships.

Republic Gunship (AOTC/Saga) - Although I have cooled a bit on the other prequel movie stuff, this really is a nice ship.  I remember being pretty amazed when I first opened this up, just because it was so big.  Another ship that I could see being a lot of fun for kiddos (if they have it), and I'm glad to have one.  I don't think I could find space for more than that though, the wingspan on this thing is an enemy of shelves ;).

Snowspeeder (Vintage/POTF/POTJ) - I don't have a modern one (yet), but this and the Falcon were the only vintage vehicles I had.  It might not be anything spectacular for others, but I think the nostalgia factor plays a lot with me here.  Plus, I was always a fan of the Hoth battle.  Had a lot of fun with this ship as a kid though.  I'm not an expert on scale (I trust JesseJames' opinion on scale issues), but I understand this one is even a tad big.  Another OT Favorite though.

Those are just a few off the top of my head, but there are others I enjoy.  Also, there are a number of ships that are probably great, but I just don't have quite yet (new TIE, POTF2 ships such as AT-AT, Snowspeeder, Y-Wing, Skiff, etc.)  What are some of your favorites?

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Vehicles?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 12:23 PM »
I actually just posted in that TIE Fighter thread about how I thought every one of the 20 and up vehicles this year in the ROTS line were well worth the money and great toys.  Hasbro's done an outstanding job on the vehicles (mostly) this year and I am very happy with them overall.

As for my favorites throughout the line, I think most of it has to do with my love of the actual ships in the films themselves, as if I didn't like a ship design in particular to begin with, a neat toy isn't going to really change my mind.  I can look at ships which weren't all that cool in the films and say they make a good toy, but a design I loved coupled with a great toy overrules that any day of the week.  And that being said, here's my top 10:

1.  Republic Gunship (Saga 2002; CW 2003; ROTS 2005)
2.  Luke Skywalker's Red 5 X-Wing Fighter (POTF2 1998)
3.  Jango Fett's/Boba Fett's Slave I (Saga 2002; OTC 2004)
4.  ARC-170 Starfighter (ROTS 2005)
5.  Anakin's Pod Racer (Episode I 1999)
6.  B-Wing Fighter (Vintage 1983; POTJ 2001)
7.  Anakin and Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighters (ROTS 2005)
8.  Naboo Royal Starship (Episode I 1999)
9.  TIE Bomber (POTJ 2002; Saga 2002)
10. Imperial Shuttle (Vintage 1983; Saga 2003)

I kind of fudged by including the same ship molds (Slave I and the JSFs) as one entry, but there you go. :)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 02:08 PM »
Top 10

1. Accurate Wings TIE Fighter (PROTS(Post Revenge Of The Sith)2005)
2. Tie Bomber (POTJ 2002;Saga 2002)
3. Mini-Rigs Imperial Shuttle Pod (Vintage 1983?)
4. Trade Federation STAP (E1 1999)
5. Clone BARC Speeder (ROTS 2005)
6. Vulture Droid (ROTS 2005)
7. Jedi Starfighters (ROTS 2005)
8. Boba Fett's Slave I (OTC 2004)
9. Wookie Starfighter (ROTS 2005)
10. Imperial Shuttle (Vintage 1983?;Saga 2003)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 02:22 PM »
Mine is a tie between the Republic Gunship and the Falcon.

Sure, maybe the Falcon is grossly underscaled, but it's vintage nostalgia that keeps it up there on my list.  Still my favorite of the OT era despite it's shortcomings.

As for the new vehicles though, that Republic Gunship is one great toy - great scale, great value, great displayability (is that a word?).  Hands down my favorite prequel era vehicle.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 08:29 PM »
Slave I (POTF2)- I didn't much care for the AOTC version, so I skipped the OTC version. I like this one more, mainly because it can be opened up and a few figures can be put inside.

Naboo Starfighter (Ep. I)- I might be the only person that likes this one, but I think it's a well-scaled version of the ship in the movie. It looks awesome on display IMO, and I wish I'd bought more than one when I found them for $5 each in 2000.

AT-AT (POTF2)- This was a vehicle I wanted badly when I was a kid, and I was severly disappointed when it came out in 1997 for $70-80. I was totally stoked when I found a couple at KB in 2000 for $30 and $40. I bought two, and it's the only vehicle I have two of (besides the POTF2 and OTC Falcons). I'm thinking about ways to get the voice box out of one of them since it takes up half the cargo area.

Republic Gunship (AOTC)- I only have this one since I didn't feel like paying $30 for a repaint. Thing's huge. Plus it looks awesome full of Clones and Jedi.

TIE Interceptor (POTJ)- I went hungry for a week when this came out. Only time I've ever done that. I'd like to think it was worth it, but others may disagree. The thing just looks so mean just sitting there. Hopefully someone decides to take it on as an exclusive again (that someone being anyone but Target) and it has that new rearend w/out the battery compartment.

Jedi Starfighters (AOTC and ROTS)- I only have the first one from AOTC and the first versions of Anakin's and Obi-Wan's, but I really like these ships. Well-made toys from both movies.

Dagobah X-Wing (Saga 2002)- Big. Awesome. Great paint job. I skipped the TRU exclusive last year because I was plenty satisfied with this one. I didn't buy the Power F/X version when it was on clearance, so I'm glad to have this one.

A-Wing (POTF2)- Here was a vehicle that I thought looked great. It was a vehicle I was glad to have since I never would have been able to afford a vintage one. Same with the Tatooine Skiff and Sandcrawler.

I just need a few more vehicles- Snowspeeder, AT-ST, and the Imperial Shuttle. The POTJ versions of the Snowspeeder and AT-ST seem to go for mad money, so I'm hoping they get issued in the upcoming Saga line. I doubt the Shuttle will ever see production again, so I may have to bite the bullet on that one whenever I get the money for it.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 11:00 PM »
My Favorite Vehicles are:

Slave 1
ARC 170
Republic Gunship
Obi Wan's Jedi Starfigher in AOTC
Jedi Starfighter in ROTS
Imperial Shuttle
Star Destroyer

:)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 02:36 AM »
My list and why:

-T-16 Skyhopper...  While the interior needs major retooling (flight controls would be fantastic), the ship is arguably one of the first to-scale new sculpts we've gotten in the modern line.  It's got a ton of detail, and while I'd have liked one with an opening hatch off the side and realistic flight controls/interior, it is to-scale and that makes the interior a customizing project to me. :)

-A-Wing (POTF2)...  The A-Wing was to-scale from day one, and Hasbro actually put it out with improvements.  The side guns push in and lock into the "fixed forward" position (I never have bought any bull**** EU that says the A-Wing has pivoting guns.  Didn't in the film, so no reason to other than a toy said so).  The ship's landing gear were much sturdier than the vintage ship, the paintjob was fantastically accurate to the prop it was designed on...

And holy hell a 100% newly sculpted pack-in figure?  Yeah it's not accurate, but it's a WHOLE NEW SCULPT!  Where'd those days go huh?

-A-Wing (Target/Saga)...  The repaint of an EU Green Squadron A-Wing is just amazing that it even happened.  The markings are nice, even if the ship wasn't anywhere on-screen.  As noted above, the ship is accurate in scale, and improved in some of its features with the guns and gear getting an improvement.  The paintjob on the green squad ship is nice and adds diversity to any hangar bay...  The sculpt of the original toy even had pop rivet details on the armor which is really ahead of its time in realism.  Neither version of the ship was a real pain to find either, and I even got multiples of the POTF2 one on clearance for a nice hefty flight of interceptors (A-Wing's designation for the un-nerdy among us).  Even managed a 4-ship flight of the Target one after they hit the orange tags.

-Luke's Landspeeder (Saga)...  The surprise hit vehicle of Saga, aside from the A-Wing, was the out-of-left-field complete 100% resculpt of the Landspeeder.  With accurate paint, lots of accuracy in the sculpt, and finally being done to-scale as well, it's a great piece.  The exposed port engine is just a thing of beauty what with its multi-piece construction so the wires and such look completely realistic.

Couple that with the rifle clip (NICE!) that's an accurate touch, and a pack-in that wasn't shabby (shoulda just packed the floppy hat luke in with all his accessories and the clip on his belt, but whatever), then that's pretty sweet work.  It's a great vehicle.

-TIE Bomber...  The TIE Bomber is absolutely fantastic, and was a hot HOT ship when it came out.  I know I bought 3 on opening night for AOTC toys when I found them, and they sold through subsequent replenishment just as fast.  Even the battledamaged paint variant sold through well. 

The paint variant was a lame paintjob, but it was nice to see a ship that literally flew out the door back on the shelves again.  And at $30 the all-new and in-scale sculpt was welcomed warmly.  I even liked the TIE Bomber's action feature that didn't intrude with the overall look of the toy, worked (it's simple enough that it should) and the bombs even look cool.  It's one of my favorite toys and I managed 4 Bombers total for one devastating flight over any battlefield.  I have to say that I almost wish they'd had a Torpedoe Firing Feature from the ordinance pod though, but whatever.  I'll live. :)

-TIE Interceptor...  The wings are good, they're sturdy, and while the ship isn't perfect by any means due to the cockpit pod being the battery-compartment version, the ship is still a solid to-scale sculpt with lots of detail.  I have 3 Interceptors thanks to a nice loose one I found at the local Toy SHow on sale for less than retail.  Sweeeeet.  :)  The Interceptor just needs released with the right "pod", however I don't even know that I'd wanna shell out what it maybe would cost since the ship was in-scale in the first place and the pod's only slightly bothersome to me.  I'll just call this the long-range variant.  :P

-MLC-3...  Yes, I did it!  I dipped into the vintage pool for something I consider one of the neatest vintage vehicles.  THe MLC-3 is a believable (the most believable) looking mini-rig IMO.  It's something I've adapted to the modern line even and buy up damaged loose ones if I see them cheap.  Love that little bugger and have customized a few over the years with spiffy paintjobs and extra stuff.  It's the Alliances answer to the Imperial AT-PT I say.  Yes my imagination is running wild.

-Stass's BARC...  ROTS has dished out some great vehicles itself, probably the best assortment of any of the films, and while the first BARC was a weeeeeeeaaaaak effort at best, the to-scale version Stass Allie comes with is amazing.  Working "gear" so it sits nicely, comes apart, lots of detail (paint, sculpt, etc.), sits a figure well...  Stass sucks as a figure, but the bike's sweet and hopefully BARC Troopers in the future are SA and can sit on the bike, or we get some Neyo grunts (and/or Neyo) for them?  I love this toy!

-AT-RT...  Sticking with the ROTS theme, the AT-RT was a surprise to me...  The vehicle is to-scale, and is nicely sculpted.  Its flaws are "minors" to me, like the paintjob could use some sprucing up, but it's really nothing terrible either.  The walking feature is lame sorta but it's got a level of humor to it too.  The pack-in was probably the only real disappointment and we got that ass replaced anyway.  :)

-Tri-Fighter...  Got the shaft in the film, but boy what a toy!  The Tri-Fighter's big, complex, heavy...  Had those neat buzz-droid figures too.  It's to-scale too which surprised me when I checked its measurements with the source material on it.  Gotta love that.

There's several ROTS ships I don't have like the Jedi Fighters or Wheelbike but I'm guessing they're actually accurate.  Hoping to nab these loose to measure first though before I commit to buying.

-New TIE Fighter...  Measured it, and compared to specs on the TIE, it's 1:19 scale.  Since the figures have never had a set scale, and most actually come in closer to 1:19 than 1:18, the TIE Fighter is spot-on.  Love that fighter.  The beefs with the new TIE are few and far between really...  The pilot and price were my biggest complaints, with price being the tops.  Other than that, if I find a 2nd one I'm buying it so long as I can afford it. :)  Love this ship.

-Vader's TIE (Potf2/OTC)...  Don't own the OTC but should've bought it.  Anyway, it's to-scale as well, and fantastic.  The all-new sculpt for the Vader's TIE was a surprise at the time and it has a nice interior sculpt too (like the bomber).  The ship is really nicely made though, looks good...  A nice centerpiece with other fighters.  I desperately need that 2nd fighter for flanking the Advanced x1 though.

-EU Airspeeder...  Another one for the "It's to-scale" column, or at least it looks like it is to-scale in every pic I've seen of this design.  The EU Airspeeder was a concept design from McQuarrie for the Snowspeeders, and then the EU adopted it as an actual design in the SW universe...  It's a single-seat combat airspeeder used by the Alliance extensively.  I have a number of these I've picked up on clearance over the years and love them.  It's nicely sculpted, lots of detail...  Needs painted up but that's ok.  Great ship and fun to have a flight of them heading out to do damage.

-EU Cloud Car...  Same as above.  The ship is nice if you can buy into anything EU, and it looks sharp next to the vintage 2-pod cloud car (another ship for this list).  This is the single-seater version I guess and that's fine by me.  I have a CC Pilot in there (OTC one) and he looks just great.

-Vintage Cloud Car...  One of the most overlooked toys from the vintage line, the twin-pod cloud car is amazingly sclupted.  It too has the great pop-rivet detailing on the armor panels, nice little blasters sculpted into the pods, a nice cockpit lid with "Glass".  It's just a sweet ship, and one I wish we got re-released for the modern line.  I'm set to buy some vinty ones for repainting though.  Oh, forgot to mention, it's to-scale even...  Can't argue with that in the slightest.

And with that I'm gonna cut my list short...

My top WORST ships though I want resculpted:

-AT-ST
-Snowspeeder
-Speederbike (released in Clone Wars and ROTJ colors)
-Y-Wing
-Gunship
-Tat. Skiff
-X-Wing

And I'd add the X-Wing if I thought they'd do it, but with them whoring the FX sculpt out so much I'd never count on that.

These are all ships that are noticeably underscaled and iconic enough that I want them to be done to-scale.  They're all "possible" in the modern line, thus I didn't list Sandcrawlers or AT-AT's (I know they'd not even be possible), and they're the ships I enjoy the most from the films too actually...  Probably my favorites, especially the X-Wing and AT-ST.  The Gunship and Skiff have huge figure interaction potential though so they'd be the "funnest" of the list.

Ships I think that are good but aren't to-scale so I don't list them though, but are good "toys", are as follows:

-ARC Fighter
-Gunship
-B-Wing
-FX X-WIng/Saga/OTC

They're all 4 ships that are high quality in every aspect except scale.  I'd love a to-scale Gunship though given how they were close really and it deserves it probably more than most anything from the prequals.  It's a ship they should've done right the first time IMO, but I'd never expect a resculpt on any of those 4.

So that's my take...  Hasbro doesn't do great vehicles often in my POV but they do good toy ships often enough I think, though they claim ships are generally for adults, not kids, so I think accuracy and scale take precedence over "features" and whatnot. 

I've bought $40 and $50 tanks and airplanes, and believe it or not they're heavy with licensing fees, and they blow Hasbro out of the water on even their best vehicles I listed.  No comparison what-so-ever if you could see these and see the complexity in them.  Hasbro can do better in the vehicle line I think, but I've gotten to the point I pick and choose out of vehicles rather than feel compelled to buy it all.  They lost me on completism with that a long time ago.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 01:25 PM »
Most are really good, but my favorate is the F/X wing because of the lights and sounds. Just the red glow of the engines gives me chills when I activate them because they are done so well.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 03:03 PM »
I love vehicles and have all of them so far.  I have passed on packaging variations (I don't collect cardboard :P)

But my favorite of all time, all lines and forever has to be the Falcon.  For numerous reasons, mostly b/c it is great toy, it reminds of when I was a kid playing with mine and it is just cool.  Come on, it completed the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs!!
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 03:17 PM »
My favorite ships include both screen version and the toy version, in no particular order.
Milennium Falcon
arc-170
republic gunship
jedi starfighters (ep3)
slave 1
tie-fighters
x-wings
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 07:57 PM »
My favorites...

1. Slave 1 (OTC/AOTC)
2. Tie Interceptor (POTJ)
3. Gunships (AOTC/CW/ROTS)
4. Jedi Starfighter(AOTC/ROTS)
5. Falcon (OTC)
6. A-Wing (Saga)
7. Tie Bomber (Saga)
8. Snowspeeder (POTJ)
9. Y-Wing (OTC/POTF2)
10. Speeder Bike (Any)
I remember my dream now.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2005, 09:50 PM »
As far as the Toys go:

Imp Shuttle
Tie Interceptor
Tie Bomber
Tatooine Skiff
Snowspeeder
At St
TRU/Dagobah Xwing

I know some are undersized, but I like em.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't take True to Scale ones.

Vehicles I wish they'd redo to a better scale cuz I like em, but the scale keeps them from being the "it" version...

Dash Rendar's Outrider
Millenium Falcon
Y Wing

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005, 05:11 PM »
Hmmm... this is tough for me.  I guess I should make a top 10 list.

#1 - AT-AT

This goes back to my childhood as the thing that made Star Wars so awesome and seem larger than life.  Seeing this gigantic monsters on the screen still gives me chills, and although the toy is not proportioned correctly, it's still a menacing looking toy as it towers over everything else in my collection.

#2 - Imperial Shuttle

Such a classic design, and has a sleek military look to it, but not so sleek that it looks like a non-Imperial ship.  The size is amazing too... funny, my top two choices are rehashes of vintage molds...

#3 - TIE Fighter (new larger scaled wings)

Just astonishing how much better it looks with the bigger wings.  A true accomplishment that took way too long to happen.  I love this thing.

#4 - X-Wing Fighter (Dagobah version)

A well sized version of this excellent ship.  Finally a removable astromech too.  Great paint application too.  What's not to like?

#5 - Naboo Royal Starship

For the sheer size of this thing, it's an oddball in today's era of smaller ships.  It's also nicely designed and by far the best prequel vehicle in my opinion.

#6 - AOTC Gunship

A military vehicle to truly get excited about in the prequel line, and a pretty large item with all things considered.

#7 - ARC 170

Very similar to the Gunship, and excellent that it seats three pilots and a droid.  Really good execution on this, a nearly flawless toy.

#8 - Y-Wing

Both the POTF2 and OTC ones are very nice.  Nice to see there are two different versions of this out there, but it would be better with a removable astromech.

#9 - AT-ST

Way underscaled, but I can live with it.  Always one of my favorites, the only reason it isn't ranked higher is because of the scale issues.

#10 - Snowspeeder

A solid ship, always fun to see these. 

Look what didn't make my list!  The Falcon!  It's just WAY too undersized. The Hailfire Droid and AAT were hard to leave off the top 10 list for me too.

:P

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 03:38 PM »
After getting the two vintage vehicles I had from my childhood this past weekend back from my parents, it got me to thinking about vehicles more.  Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I miss the electronics found in the vintage and POTF2 vehicles.  Sure, I don't like the fact that if we had them now they would likely be more expensive...but to me they just seem fun.  I got to looking at my POTF2 ships as I cleared room for the vintage snowspeeder (electronics still work!), and I kind of liked the electronic features of those ships.  Does anyone else miss these, or would like to see them return to the ships?