Author Topic: What other 70s & 80s toy lines do you collect?  (Read 4133 times)

Offline 10incher

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Action Figure Archive
What other 70s & 80s toy lines do you collect?
« on: September 20, 2005, 12:45 AM »
I also collect

Shogun Warriors
Micronauts
Black Hole
Dune
Tron
Bionic Six
Crystar
Blackstar
Silverhawks

Just to name a few. if you collect other vintage figures than just Star Wars, check out www.action-figures.ca, the loose vintage action figure guide including a message board to discuss, buy, sell & trade vintage figures of all lines.
Visit www.action-figures.ca the 70s & 80s action figure guide, online store & forums. Discuss, buy, sell & trade vintage figures.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: What other 70s & 80s toy lines do you collect?
« Reply #1 on: October 6, 2005, 10:02 PM »
M.A.S.K  I have bought anything in quite a while but I'm always on the lookout
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: October 7, 2005, 01:07 AM »
I had a HUGE M.A.S.K. collection as a kid.  Still in the attic.  I loved that series aside from the fact that no figure could hold a gun (nor did any come with weapons).  That was an innovative toyline though.

My "most obscure and unfortunately overlooked" toy award goes to a line I collected for a long time called StarCom.  Without a doubt it was one of the most innovative toys of the 1980's, the play value was outstanding and the toys were insanely complex in design and construction, even compared to the stuff we see these days.

The line's last items, mostly European-only releases, are incredibly tough to come by.  Select U.S./Canada items are toughies too, or are tough to get in good shape, but the line's just outstanding and it even had a great cartoon that accompanied it.  Very realistic, very expansive for its short run...  Had me hooked, however I'm to the point I'd probably sell my collection if I found the right buyer just so that I could free up room around here.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #3 on: October 7, 2005, 01:35 PM »
Although I don't collect them anymore, I had a bunch of Micronauts and the Adventure People when I was a kid.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: October 7, 2005, 01:52 PM »
I had adventure people too, hand-me-downs from my older brothers.  Their vehicles made good GIJoe additions generally and the figures I often used as the scientists/civilians that were in just about every episode of GI Joe's cartoon.  Cobra had to kidnap somebody. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 7, 2005, 02:37 PM »
I don't know that I really "collect" that many anymore, outside of picking up vintage Star Wars figures now and then.  I did/do like the Super Powers and Secret Wars lines, and I still watch those on ebay now and then.  I'd like to find a nice, loose/complete Super Powers Superman, but the ones on ebay seem to get sort of high.  I never got one as a kid, and its a figure I've always wanted.  Otherwise, back on topic, here's the 80s toy lines that I had/played with growing up:

Star Wars
GI Joe
Super Powers
Secret Wars
He-Man
M.A.S.K.
Transformers
GoBots

So many great toy lines back then, at least it seemed that way as a kid :).

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 01:00 PM »
I collect a lot of lines off and on, but the main "old school" lines I collect are:

Star Wars
G.I. Joe
M.U.S.C.L.E.
Barnyard Commandos
Food Fighters
Z-BOTS
Monsters in my Pocket

There are probably a few others I can't think of right now.
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 08:18 AM »
1. GI Joe
2. Transformers 1984-1987
3. Star Wars
4. MASK

Earlier this year I repurchased all the G1 Transformers from 1984-1986 and a few from 1987. 

One of my favorite toys was the MASK Rhino and I got a new one late last year.  That's it so far but I imagine I'll start buying those soon enough.

I collected a lot of vintage Star Wars toys in the early to mid 1990s but now I only buy some stuff occasionally.  I picked up a nice Death Star playset at the GI Joe Convention back in June. 

Now, GI Joe is taking up just about all of my collecting time.  Last year, the TRU Cobra Infantry set and the comic 3-packs really got me hooked on the RAH figures once again.  So I repurchased all the 1982-1986 toys I had as a kid and then expanded to everything else including 1987-1998. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 4, 2005, 02:13 PM »
Happened to find this site today, which contains a lot of information about past toys, TV shows, games, etc.  The link posted here takes you to a page containing 80s toy commercials, and there are sections for the 70s and 90s as well.  I haven't had a chance to try the videos to see if they work, but there are a lot of Star Wars, Transformers, GI Joe, etc. commercials, and thought they might be fun to watch again.  If interested, clicky above.

Offline Sithbaker

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Krackbrick Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 4, 2005, 03:00 PM »
PRetty cool!
I was able to download 3 of them. They had 2 or 3 others, but when I clicked
download, I just got a bunch text and junk.
Adam

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 07:43 PM »
My brother and I divied up or toys when we got older. I got Star Wars, the Black Hole, Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica and Micronauts. He got Gi-Joe, Transformers and a few straglers like MASK.

This year, I happented to pick a new piece or two from each line I kept, mostly aquired via Star Wars lots though. :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 08:40 AM »
I thought about getting into collecting GI Joe, but my wife says I need to pick one hobby and stay with it.  So I'm staying with Star Wars.  I may try to pick up a Flint or Dusty figure at some point.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 01:50 AM »
I thought about getting into collecting GI Joe, but my wife says I need to pick one hobby and stay with it.  So I'm staying with Star Wars.  I may try to pick up a Flint or Dusty figure at some point.

Collecting both Star Wars and G.I. Joe will leave you poor  :-\ My goal used to be to get one of every Joe 3 3/4 figure, but there are just too many Joes for a poor college student like me to get at this time.

Someday I will do it though....someday....
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski