Author Topic: #65 Tactical Ops Trooper (501st)  (Read 74078 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: #65 Tactical Ops Trooper (501st)
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2005, 04:24 PM »
I seriously wonder what the hell the reasoning is behind the red dust/blood/whatever on the boots, still.

Yeah, looking at it again, I just don't get that either.

I'm starting to think that maybe I should just call this guy "Commander Appo" and that way I would only need one of him since he was a Commander and not a grunt - it'd be an easy way to play off the paint difference between him and the K-Mart grunts too....   :P

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2005, 04:28 PM »
I'm starting to think that maybe I should just call this guy "Commander Appo" and that way I would only need one of him since he was a Commander and not a grunt - it'd be an easy way to play off the paint difference between him and the K-Mart grunts too....   :P

That's what I was just thinking today. Either way I'm not getting more than 2 of these. And since I refuse to buy any more #6s since the shocktrooper, it looks like I'm finally going to have to develop some painting skill...

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2005, 09:28 PM »
Hmmm . . . I think I only want one of these and use him as a sergenant or something like that since I have 2 JTA packs. That is IF I can find em. Hopefully they come into abundance at Walmart soon! I do think Walmart may not do alot until the end of the month near the DVD release.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2005, 09:40 PM »
Not to mention too that this new fig. has the double stripes on the legs and the Kmart 501st clones don't. It makes it easy to buy only a couple of this dude and call it a day.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2005, 10:20 PM »
When these were going to be SA I wanted 30+ of them. Then when we found out it would be a tank gunner repaint I only wanted around 10, the more I look at it the fewwer I want. I think I want maybe 2 now. Hasbro completely blew it with this figure.
"This is the way."

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2005, 10:48 PM »
When these were going to be SA I wanted 30+ of them. Then when we found out it would be a tank gunner repaint I only wanted around 10, the more I look at it the fewwer I want. I think I want maybe 2 now. Hasbro completely blew it with this figure.

i totally agree  :( the only thing i like about the AT- Gunner is the removable helmet and the base but it just cant compare with the SA one. Maybe the SA mold on Commander Cody in 2006?  8)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2005, 11:03 PM »

i totally agree  :( the only thing i like about the AT- Gunner is the removable helmet and the base but it just cant compare with the SA one. Maybe the SA mold on Commander Cody in 2006?  8)

I hope not. Cody's armor is different than a normal clone, I hope Cody is SA but it needs to be an all new sculpt.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 11:04 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2005, 06:20 PM »
Well, I found these today over lunch.  After opening my first one, I decided that he is much better than I was expecting so I went ahead and opened the other one I bought. 

They match up pretty well with the K-Mart Clones in color which is nice (I wasn't expecting that after seeing that the Bly/Evo paints were off-key).  Also, it feels like the joints on these guys are stronger.  Compared to the AT-TE Gunners I've got, the 501 Clones arms stay in the sockets much better, which is a nice surprise.

The red stuff on the feet is a little lame, but I guess there is nothing I can do about it.... I still wonder why they did that since the 501st were pretty much only on Coruscant from what I understood.   :-\

The helmet is definitely removable, and the clone underneath still has that "vacant" open-mouthed stare that the AT-TE Gunner had.  I guess I like the removable helmet, so it's a plus. 

Despite the limits of the arms on the #38 sculpt, they are still pretty cool Clones and I'm glad I found them. 

And, just in case Hasbro's reading... even though I've got 5 blue clones, I'd still be willing to buy a few 501st repaints of the #41 Trooper to fill out my squad!

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2005, 07:34 PM »
The red stuff on the feet is a little lame, but I guess there is nothing I can do about it.... I still wonder why they did that since the 501st were pretty much only on Coruscant from what I understood.   :-\

"The halls of the Jedi Temple will run red with BLOOD!"  So yeah, it's the most subliminally gory SW action figure ever made.  He is literally knee-deep in midicholrians.  :)

Now here's to hoping I can find one!  :P

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2005, 12:24 AM »
Jeff,

Thanks for the pictures and input. I am still leaning to only 1 if/when I can find these. I have 2 JTA sets so 2 clones here might work, a non-com leader for a squad. Problem is I would say I need 1 for the six JTA's,  but your two look really good with the three to make out a squad. So, once Monday comes and I can hunt Target hopefully I will find one or 2 of these.

Maybe a question, if you have 6 from the JTA and someone were to miss these, would you think it a great loss?
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Offline Bobafett77

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2005, 10:25 AM »
Well, I found these today over lunch.  After opening my first one, I decided that he is much better than I was expecting so I went ahead and opened the other one I bought. 

They match up pretty well with the K-Mart Clones in color which is nice (I wasn't expecting that after seeing that the Bly/Evo paints were off-key).  Also, it feels like the joints on these guys are stronger.  Compared to the AT-TE Gunners I've got, the 501 Clones arms stay in the sockets much better, which is a nice surprise.

The helmet is definitely removable, and the clone underneath still has that "vacant" open-mouthed stare that the AT-TE Gunner had.  I guess I like the removable helmet, so it's a plus. 

Despite the limits of the arms on the #38 sculpt, they are still pretty cool Clones and I'm glad I found them. 

And, just in case Hasbro's reading... even though I've got 5 blue clones, I'd still be willing to buy a few 501st repaints of the #41 Trooper to fill out my squad!

I saw the break down of what you bought when you found these in the recent purchases thread. Is that the case asst that you found or was that all that was left? Curious because I thought that case asst had been cancelled  ???

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2005, 10:35 AM »
I saw the break down of what you bought when you found these in the recent purchases thread. Is that the case asst that you found or was that all that was left? Curious because I thought that case asst had been cancelled  ???

What I posted is just the stuff I bought.

Based on what was left-over on the pegs when I was done grabbing what I needed (2x C-3PO, 2x Meena, 2x Blue Guard, 2x Jett, 2x Utapau, 1x Astromech), I'd say that my Target got 2 of the cases that looked like this:

1x #18 C-3PO
1x #23 Royal Guard (BLUE)
1x #47 Meena Tills
1x #53 Utapaun Warrior
1x #52 Zett Jukassa
1x #64/68 Wookiee Heavy Gunner
2x #65 Tactical Ops Clone Trooper
1x #66 Plo Koon
1x #67 Aayla Secura
2x #68/64 R4-P17 Astromech

Based on what I bought and what was left over, it looked like one person beat me to the figures and bought 1x each of the new figures...

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2005, 01:09 PM »
I found a lone 501st trooper today.  Nothing new was on the shelves.  I have no idea what the case assortment could have been, the only other things on the shelves were Neiomodian Warriors (which have been there forever), a few Obi Pilots, Darth Vaders and a few other misc figures.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2005, 02:13 PM »
Hmmm... for some reason, this figure just doens't "do it" for me.  I prefer painting my own.

Nice to see you found them though Jeff.

:P

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2005, 10:14 AM »
Has anyone seen this line hitting Walmart yet? I am thinking that this coming week should be about right since we are moving towards the DVD release now. I sure hope so because Walmart tends to carry more cases then Target, and its easier to get new stuff at Walmart then Target.

John Keeshan