Author Topic: Firefly / Serenity  (Read 20556 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Firefly / Serenity
« on: July 15, 2005, 09:37 PM »
I never watched this show when it was on Fox, but I saw the trailer for the movie Serenity when I saw ROTS.

I'e been thinking about getting a set of the Firefly show on dvd to see it, but I just saw that the Sci Fi channel will be showing the entire series starting next Friday.

Anyone here ever watch the show before?  It looks pretty cool, but I'd like to hear a review from someone who's seen it before.  Spoiler free please.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 01:44 PM by Jeff »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Serenity -- The Firefly continuation
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 11:26 PM »
I've seen it, and I like it.

My wife on the other hand LOVES it.

We've got the DVD Box Set and it is her official "walking-on-the-treadmill" TV show.  Whenever she's on the treadmill, she's watching Firefly.

Now, if you knew my wife, you'd know she's not really a Sci-Fi fan, but she was a HUGE fan of Buffy/Angel.  She's a big fan of that style of "dram-edy" drama/comedy hour long show format.

I'd say it's definately worth watching next week for free on Sci-Fi and from everything I've read, it's shapinf up to be a great movie.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 12:10 AM »
Didn't Ron Cobb do tech designs for this show?
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 03:57 PM »
I didn't see much life in that show.  I watched, hoped it would take off. It never did just sat there and died.

I hated Buffy, but liked Angel, for the most part
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 03:54 PM »
I love Firefly. It was alomst like watching Han Solo's own show. Can't wait for the movie.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 03:55 PM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Loopy_Leia

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 07:30 PM »
I love Firefly!!!  I can't wait to see the movie.  I might even buy Firefly on DVD.  Anybody know how much it is at the moment?  And, where the best place would be to get it?  Let me know!!!!

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 02:02 PM »
Oh dear God.

My fiancee' is obsessed with this show and the upcoming movie. She had me waiting online to get her tickets to the pre-screenings here in Seattle, yet we still missed all three because they sold out faster than Pearl Jam. They were going for hundreds online and I could almost hear her considering it.

We skipped Comic Con this year to save for the wedding and she just emailed me all distraught because they played the movie down there too.   

I never watched the show (it looked too corny), but I'm sure I'm going to get dragged to this one at whatever midnight show it opens at.   I wonder if it's something that a non-fan like myself can watch, or if it's something that you need the context of the show for.
Got Clones?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 05:21 PM »
I've been thinking the same thing Joshee, but Sci Fi channel starts showing all the episodes of Firefly this coming Friday.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
Serenity now!
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 03:41 PM »
I'm so excited to see this movie THIS week.  I became a fan just a month ago when I rented the show off of Netflix, and now I'm about certifiably insane about it- ask name, he'll tell you.
Anyone else a big fan of this series? 
I still want to discuss the series, movie too... but also have a request.
I need a date for the premiere.  ;)  Okay, so not really a "date"- but someone to go with, but let me explain.
I entered a poetry contest on Ain't It Cool News last week to win 2 tickets to a premiere this Wednesday (8pm) in AUSTIN.  Now, 1) Austin is around 4-5 hours away from here.  2)  I haven't been able to find anyone up here who is available to take off work to go down there in the middle of the week with me. 
Okay, so what's the big deal about the premiere?  Well, Summer Glau and Jewel Staite (River and Kaylee from the series) will be in attendance, and are doing a Q&A after the film.  It's also held outside of Austin actually, in a 'secret location'- some sort of western set actually OUTSIDE.  They have those huge moveable screens and all - and will have full consessions including Chinese food, beer, etc... So, I just thought that was really neat and I'm such a fan now and have so very little good things happening lately, that I thought this would be something.  I figured if I won, then I would go, if I didn't win, I wouldn't even buy or try to get tickets, kind of leave it up to some sort of destiny. 
I'm going with or without someone, but I have family worried about me going by myself as far as the drive, which I can understand, but I'm a safe driver, and it doesn't bother me.  So, looking to see if anyone in North Texas wants to go so I don't have to drive by myself, or in lieu of that, if someone around the Austin area or wherever wants to come in (because they are a browncoat lovin' fan) and meet me there. 
You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2005, 03:50 PM »
Looks like the Sci Fi channel won't have all the episodes aired by this Friday when the movie premiers.  Guess I'm going to have to pick up the dvd set.

Not a big deal, since I planned on doing it anyway.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline DualSaberMaster

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Oh great, it's Fett"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2005, 04:13 PM »
I love Firefly. It was alomst like watching Han Solo's own show. Can't wait for the movie.

That's funny.  The first time I saw the trailer clip for the movie, when the lead guy drew his blaster "gunslinger style" I immediately thought it was very Han Solo'esque.  Cool! he even looks like a younger Han too. :P
-Ricardo

"I'm like a bad penny, I always turn up"
"#1 Hater of PT Haters, OT+PT = SW Forever."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Serenity now!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2005, 04:39 PM »
I should go on a bender and watch the series again before seeing the movie, since it's been awhile.

I doubt the movie will even play here, since we're down to eight screens in the W'loo/CF area now that the biggest theater in town is closed for renovation.  >:(
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Serenity now!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2005, 04:50 PM »
George: "Do you have to yell it like that?"
Frank: "The man on the tape wasn't specific..."

SERENITY NOW!

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2005, 05:00 PM »
I'm really excited for this movie. I had never seen the show before but I started watching it on SciFi because it came on before Stargate, and I got hooked. It really is a great show. I need to get the DVDs, but there are so many different DVD box sets that I need now, I don't know when that will happen. :-\

Ooooo look I got a new colored lightsaber. :P
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 05:00 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2005, 05:50 PM »
Looks like the Sci Fi channel won't have all the episodes aired by this Friday when the movie premiers.  Guess I'm going to have to pick up the dvd set.

Not a big deal, since I planned on doing it anyway.

Ok, Ok, so I didn't find this old thread, sorry!

BUT The Sci-Fi Channel is doing a marathon of shows this Tuesday starting at 11AM CST and running until I think 9PM when they show a special about the making of the movie.
:P
You are starting to damage my calm.