Author Topic: Firefly / Serenity  (Read 20547 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Serenity -- The Firefly continuation
« Reply #30 on: October 5, 2005, 06:53 PM »

Any talks of a sequal or a ressurection of the show?

Both. In the film business, if anything does really well, you can put money in the bank betting that a sequel will get made to a franchise. I heard rumors of a trillogy film series and a return to network TV under universals care, but at this point, I think a film series is more likely. Although...

SPOILER*****

how the hell can you do the show without Wash??????
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #31 on: October 5, 2005, 07:24 PM »

Any talks of a sequal or a ressurection of the show?

Both. In the film business, if anything does really well, you can put money in the bank betting that a sequel will get made to a franchise. I heard rumors of a trillogy film series and a return to network TV under universals care, but at this point, I think a film series is more likely. Although...

SPOILER*****

how the hell can you do the show without Wash??????

As soon as the movie was over I thought the same thing. I would actually rather there not be a sequel. As much as I love Serenity, I don't want to see it killed off in typical Hollywood fashion by dragging it into the ground with crappy sequels. Simon and River's story is over, there is no point in a sequel. Without Sheppard and Wash, it can't be the same.
"This is the way."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 6, 2005, 01:29 AM »
Perhaps a prequel then that covers why Shepard left and perhaps explains why there were no Blue Sun guys after River in Serenity.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #33 on: October 6, 2005, 04:02 AM »
Perhaps a prequel then that covers why Shepard left and perhaps explains why there were no Blue Sun guys after River in Serenity.

Thats why River's story isn't finished yet. We know what the Alliance did to River, we just don't know all the whys yet. What where their plans for her and others like her. And where are the men with the blue gloves, what role do they have to play in all of this. I think it's very much still widely open and Serenity only showed tidbits of her tale.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline EUCustomMan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Figure Site
« Reply #34 on: October 6, 2005, 11:35 AM »
I think the men with the Blue hands were part of whatever the military/science experment was for. This film was more about a political cover-up and a few people in the government covering their asses. I think there is still a story out there about River and the blue handed guys.
You also have the Shepards story, either in a prequel or something in his past coming back to haunt them because he was part of the crew. Hell, even just some really cool theifing would be cool.
Or how about the German dude coming after them again?

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 7, 2005, 12:10 AM »
i kinda doubt we will ever get a wash or a shepard's story.  i think wash didn't really want to do the movie and shepard's health isn't that good.    i am pretty sure their deaths served a dual purpose of building suspense and getting rid of characters unlikely to return for sequels.

although, i must say i wouldn't really mind getting another actor to play a young shepard book in flashbacks.   his character was the one most teased and least revealed in the series.   i would very much like to find out why he knows so much about crime and guns and got such good service from the alliance when he got shot.
« Last Edit: October 7, 2005, 12:15 AM by john todd »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 7, 2005, 12:48 AM »
Like many I couldn't get into watching the TV show, though my wife enjoyed it.  Saw the movie tonight and yep, pretty darn good.  I definitely enjoyed it much more than I expected to :)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #37 on: October 7, 2005, 01:15 AM »
I actually like how Sheppard's past is so foggy. It makes him much more mysterious, we don't need to to exactly where he has been as long as we know that he somehow has all this knowledge that he shouldn't have. If we got a sequel (or prequel rather) based on him, we'd lose thatr mystery. Personally I'd be glad to see the story end here.
« Last Edit: October 7, 2005, 10:59 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #38 on: October 7, 2005, 01:31 PM »
I think they've left it open enough for a whole series of movies.  Think about this:

-The Parliment of the Alliance, although embarrased by the information about Miranda, is still around and may want to get revenge on Mal and the Serentiy crew.

-Just because River uncovered one bit of information that was in her jumbled brain, doesn't mean there isn't any more in there and she's far from cured.

That's just two things off the top of my head....let me see the movie again and I'm sure I could come up with more.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline DarthAcroyear

• Jedi Initiate
  • TI - 568, D. Acroyear, Callsign "Spartan"
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #39 on: October 7, 2005, 10:58 PM »
I've seen the movie a couple of times now and I've really enjoyed it. It has to be one of the very best new movies that I have seen since 2003. :)
TI-568, D. Acroyear, Callsign "Spartan"
Bloodfin Garrison,
Omega Wing Squadron

"I aim to misbehave."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #40 on: October 8, 2005, 02:17 AM »
I'm going to see this again this weekend.  ;D
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline DarthAcroyear

• Jedi Initiate
  • TI - 568, D. Acroyear, Callsign "Spartan"
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #41 on: October 8, 2005, 02:23 PM »
I'm going to see this again this weekend.  ;D

So am I! :)
TI-568, D. Acroyear, Callsign "Spartan"
Bloodfin Garrison,
Omega Wing Squadron

"I aim to misbehave."

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #42 on: October 8, 2005, 06:05 PM »
I actually like how Sheppard's past is so foggy. It makes him much more mysterious, we don't need to to exactly where he has been as long as we know that he somehow has all this knowledge that he shouldn't have. If we got a sequel (or prequel rather) based on him, we'd lose that mystery.

Kinda like Darth Vader...
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2005, 10:32 AM »
So far, Serenity's earned  $17,600,000, which ain't much, but it only cost $40,000,000 to make.   They always say opening weekend is the magic number as far as sequels are concerned, but I don't know if its as big a deal nowadays as it used to be. Overseas markets and DVDs will bring in more than $40m I think, and maybe enough to justify a sequel. I think Joss has got it in him to continue the story, and I know he's got enough creative control to not let it go to a hack writer or director.

Univeral has the rights to Serenity movies, but part of the terms of the contract were that they can't make a TV show for 10 years (non-compete with FOX.) 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2005, 11:28 PM »
I saw it again Friday dragging a good buddy and my brother to see it. My buddy wasn't very intressted in seeing it, although he's huge into comic books and Sci-fi. Needless to say, he walked out stunned at how good it was.