Author Topic: Who the Hell does this?  (Read 17070 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Who the Hell does this?
« on: September 26, 2005, 07:52 AM »
I wont link the pic.  But I was looking at a topic on another forum and noticed some peoples Clone Armies.  Now I have nothing against someone who wants hundreds of Clones, but why would someone army build cases of figs and leave them unopened in the boxes?  I am just not getting the logic.  I would feel like such a tool for even posting a pic of 5-6 or more cases of Shocktrooers, SA Clones, etc still in the package.   ???

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Who the Hell does this?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 09:59 AM »
Seems ridiculous to me too.  If you are going to army build, you would think it would make sense to open them...

:P

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 10:47 AM »
For the most part that sounds like "collectors" out to make a buck in the long run.

Still when I used to live in a small crappy apartment, I kept my army builders in their bubbles b/c I had no where to display.  Now with the basement bedroom dedicated to SW, I opened everything up.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 12:24 PM »
I'll never understand keeping somthing in the card. But armybuilding box sets and keeping them carded? Rediculous. Unless they are moving or somthing soon, then I can forgive them.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

SilverZ

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 03:19 PM »
If you're not opening them, or planning to opening them in the future, you're not army building. You're hoarding.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 03:32 PM »
There's a slim chance that it's collecting because you like how a slew of carded clones looks, which does seem odd but nothing is out of the realm of possibility I figure.  I'd certainly have suspicions of hoarding, or scalping though, no doubt.

Of course they could just not have the time to open stuff and display it right now so the best way to keep their stuff stored at the moment is carded in Hasbro cases.  I could see that...  I know a lot of people with boxed/carded stuff they haven't opened yet but intend to at some point.  That seems to be a theme with some of us actually. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 03:40 PM »
I know a lot of people with boxed/carded stuff they haven't opened yet but intend to at some point. That seems to be a theme with some of us actually. :)

Guilty as charged. :P
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 07:38 PM »
I know a lot of people with boxed/carded stuff they haven't opened yet but intend to at some point.

[raises hand]

I've got at least 40 of the #41 SA Clone Troopers here that are still carded. I'm an army builder, and these will all be open... as soon as I have somewhere to put them  :D

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 07:48 PM »
Can someone PM me the link to this photo you guys are all talking about?  That other site's forums are such a mess (the first page of the ROTS forums is practically all stickied topics) that I wouldn't know where to look.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 08:30 PM »
I have to report that I am guilty of having cases of unopen army builders, but with me, its just because I have not had the time to open or display them.

As a matter of fact, and JediMac can attest to this, I just pulled all of my army builders out with the intent to open them because the packaging is taking up too much room. I haven't done it yet, and now I'm using the mass opening party as a reward for finishing a certain project.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 08:59 PM »
As a matter of fact, and JediMac can attest to this, I just pulled all of my army builders out with the intent to open them because the packaging is taking up too much room. I haven't done it yet, and now I'm using the mass opening party as a reward for finishing a certain project.

This will likely be one of the most fun things you've ever done as a collector, Anton.  There is nothing like opening a lot of figures all at once.  When I first started collecting again with POTF2, I left all my figures carded from the first 9 in 1995 up until the Bossk wave hit in 1997.  At that point, I asked myself, "Why am I keeping these carded" and opened all of them in one sitting.  It's still one of the coolest experiences I've had.   ;D

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 10:28 PM »
Indeed. I just opened all of my ROTS figures from #1 - #56 the other day to put them in my display cabinet. My girlfriend thought I was insane, but it was a hell of a lot of fun. One thing to remember when opening a whole bunch of figures at the same time: bring plenty of garbage bags  ;)

Offline Tijuanajedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ay Chichona!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 08:29 PM »
Yup I agree, I have some stuff liying around for ages that is slated for opening and some in a garbage bag ready to go, about 1 week ago I opened about 20 figures assorted, and had that greatest time.

Offline Kill_Solo

• Jedi Initiate
  • You're a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2005, 09:31 PM »
3/4 of my clone army is still carded. They are waiting for their final 3 clone bretheren before I unleash my grand clone army.

Offline Errex

• Youngling
  • Gra'tua Cuun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 1, 2005, 01:09 AM »
There are times I get several carded figures, and often, I try to  open one each day (especially whenever I need a little cheer). Right now, I have several packs of Galactic Heroes waiting their turn...