Author Topic: Are your Collecting Habits going to change with the new Saga Line?  (Read 10536 times)

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Ok, I've decided to return to my collecting status for the year before ROTS. I would label this as the casual collector. I hunted ONLY if I really wanted a figure which was extremely rare. I would look at the toys only when I was in the stores for a normal trip, and if I found something I wanted, I would buy it. No special trips. I really believe the only time I am going to really hunt next year is when Commander Cody comes in.
I guess with ROTS I am tired and am in need of a break. I love collecting, but Hasbro is only getting my money for figures that are worth my money, and ones that I am interested in.

edit - just adjusted the title a tad - Jesse
« Last Edit: October 4, 2005, 02:44 AM by JesseVader08 »
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Are your Collecting Habits going to change wit the new Saga Line?
« Reply #1 on: October 3, 2005, 11:41 PM »
Nah, I can't see any changes in my collecting habit yet. I'm just looking forward to a little less product being released.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Are your Collecting Habits going to change with the new Saga Line?
« Reply #2 on: October 4, 2005, 02:46 AM »
I keep expecting/wanting/needing my collecting habits to change - ie. pace myself better.  I've been looking at a lot of the higher end stuff lately thinking I should focus my $$ on those pieces instead.  But then I end up in a retailer and happen to find a figure I've been wanting -- nothing can yet compare to the thrill of the hunt.   ;)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 4, 2005, 10:25 AM »
I'm actually really looking forward to The Saga Collection in late 2005/2006.  I've been itching for some new OT product, and for a (hopefully) overall slowdown in the amount of stuff.  We've got a lot of great stuff this year, but its really been tough for me personally to keep up.  I don't know that my collecting habits will change too much, but I will continue to try to focus in on things as much as possible.  I plan on buying most/all of the "new" figures we'll see in 2006, as long as they interest me...and maybe some of the inevitable repaints/repacks if they are a big improvement or I haven't gotten them previously.  We really don't have a lot of concrete info on the 2006 line, so its hard to say for sure.  I do hope that we get back to the 40-50 figures/year type of thing, with a few other things (vehicles, beasts, etc.) sprinkled in throughout.  Overall, I'm hoping to cut my monthly spending (from this year) to half or less, and I think that should be possible.  We'll see though...definitely time for some Hasbro updates on "the Saga Collection" I think ;).

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 4, 2005, 11:38 AM »
Two of everything, multiples of the troops should stay the norm for me.

Although in recent years I've gotten much more relaxed abotu repaints and some of the more ridiculous exclusives.  If they keep that crap up, I'll continue to evolve a little bit at a time.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 4, 2005, 04:29 PM »
I plan to ONLY get OT Imperials in Saga 2. C'mon SA Scout Trooper!

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 4, 2005, 09:06 PM »
I'll finally buy some figures....I stopped at AT-RT driver for ROTS...

I plan to get the typical one of each Human character, various Aliens, one of each OT Droid and a dozen each of Army Builders.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #7 on: October 4, 2005, 11:36 PM »
I think they will.  Not sure how much yet, but it depends on what Hasbro offers.  I haven't been buying everything for a couple years now, and I think the ratio of what I do buy will only decrease as time goes on.  The more Hasbro nails figs (Obi Wan pilot, the last you'll ever need) and the more repacks there are (nothing against them) the less figs I see myself buying.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #8 on: October 5, 2005, 10:28 PM »
In a way, the original Saga line changed my habits, and the 2006 Saga will only reinforce that change. I only buy "new" figures.  I don't buy for the package, or the pack-in, and I don't buy repaints.

Any new sculpt, like the new Bib, Han Carkoon and Boushh I will buy in a heartbeat.
I will pick up drastic repaints, such as clones, or even the Saga Tusken Raider, but only if I find them easily.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 5, 2005, 10:32 PM »
I most likely won't be going for any repacks.  Unless it's something like a carded Wedge or carded Riekaan.  I may or may not go for resculpts.  It depends on what they look like.  If they end up being something like SA Bespin Luke then absolutely.  I will buy anything "new" that has not been made before most likely.  Especially if we are talking stuff like the Tonnika Sisters, Hermi Odle or Yarna. 

It just depends on what they have in store for us I guess. 

Offline Bobafett77

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 7, 2005, 12:06 PM »
With the excessive repacking that Hasbro is known for I've already changed my collecting habits too. I USED to be a completist. It doesn't make sense to have 10 of the same figure though, just in different packaging. I'm not going to stop collecting by any means, just be selective about what I'm buying.

Offline ddschneider1972

• Youngling
  • Go Bucks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 10:49 PM »
I already have with the Final 12 . I used to collect EVERY variation (non-error) of a figure, repaints etc. now I am getting rid of the repaints, and minor retools and not buying any new ones, except droids or troopers. no wookies, no neimoidians, no Cat Miin or Passel, (I will get holo versions, as in my view they are a different figure) which leaves me only buying half of TSC figures from each wave (except repacked Vaders, Fett  and Yoda's since I collect them all carded also.)

I realized I do not need things like 3 versions of the Tusken sniper...the POTJ, the Saga with Massif and the OTC. or a Luke pilot, with or with out buck teeth. Back in 2000 I realize di didn't need everythign carded either....now that was a liberating change. I figured I'd get a few of my favorite figures to keep carded and the rest loose.   
"Modern Collectors are just Walmart Shoppers" -The new SW "Fan Club" President

They are right, everything is big in Texas, even the defeats...The Buckeyes are (still) #1!!!!!!!!

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 8, 2005, 03:32 PM »
Now that we've seen a few waves of the upcoming line, has anyone made any changes in their plans?

I'm really torn right now.  Since ROTS, I've been buying a loose and carded version of every basic and deluxe figure.  With TSC's mix of new and recards, perhaps I'll buy a carded version of each figure (me like pretty cardboard) and openers of just the NEW figures.

However, I'm not sure I can afford to keep doing that at a newly initiated budget of $200 per month.  I like the looks of the new figures from TSC, but so many other lines keep grabbing my money:

Gentle Giant Bust-Ups.
Sideshow Collectibles Premium Format Figures.
Kubricks.
Super Deformed (Hasbro & BK).
Hell, even Galactic Heroes.

And I want to work on a Vader focus.

And I keep wanting to look into vintage.

Argh.
« Last Edit: November 8, 2005, 03:34 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 8, 2005, 08:26 PM »
Well it has actually turned out to be better than I thought it would be for 2006.  Especially if some rumored figures actually see the light of day.  Particularty Hermi Odle, CZ-3, etc.  Basically I will buy almost all of the "new" OT figures and most of the OT resculpts.  I can't see myself resisting any VOTC figures.  I will pick up some of the Prequel figures like Sun Fac, Graga, and a few EU items. 

I won't be buying any repacks.  I may go for the rumored AT-AT.  So, for the most part I will be hunting the pegs for OT goodness and some select PT figures like Captain Neyo, Commander Cody, Commander Faie, etc.

Plus, we have not heard or seen everything yet.  I just feel better about it than I originally did. 

But for Pete's sake get those Tonnika Sisters out there Hasbro :)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #14 on: November 8, 2005, 08:49 PM »
From the looks of things so far, what I buy will be very limited.  I think I've gotten to the point where I only buy new figs if I care about the character (Sun Fac - sucks to be you) and repacks if I don't have them or there's something about it I can't live without.  Which is less and less.