Author Topic: Say it ain't so!  (Read 12236 times)

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
Say it ain't so!
« on: October 5, 2005, 10:26 AM »
Well, at least tell me that one of our own isn't trying to hawk these "Republic Commandos" for 100 bucks!

Not that I have a problem with one selling their work - I'm just sick of seeing these half-arsed, nothing-special-about-them custom clones foisted on the ignorant or unsuspecting collector.  The paint job looks good, but if you're going to label it a "Republic Commando," at least give him a custom weapon or some hint of armor.  It's similar to the custom clones for sale that come with a genuine Elite Force M4 or GIJoe M16.  No imagination whatsoever.  Of course, many of these seem to be done for mere financial gain, with no regard to accuracy or precision.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems there are more and more "customizers" selling mislabelled or plain crappily done stuff lately.  I know my definition of "Crappily done" differs from others'.  Not everybody must fall in line with my own tastes, and I don't mind seeing crappily done stuff up for sale, just crappily done (ie inaccurate paint lines), fire-engine-red clones labelled as "Custom Commander Cody Bacara Appo ROTS VHTF RARE BUYITNOW 4 $100thankyouverymuch", are what chaps my hide.    Guess there is a sucker born every minute.

Mountain-out-of-a-molehill nerd rant complete.  I will now retreat to my Mom's basement and rebuild the kernel on my 7 linux servers while sewing and painting my very own Tron costume.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Say it ain't so!
« Reply #1 on: October 5, 2005, 10:52 AM »
What gets me on this auction is the shipping of four loose figures for $10. That's an $8.50 profit on the shipping alone.  I offered him $5 for them.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2005, 10:54 AM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 5, 2005, 11:01 AM »
 :o ;D ;D :o

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 5, 2005, 11:11 AM »
Might as well make this a thread titled "Customs on ebay that you don't want."

I think they are nicely painted, but the Buy It Now price is a little goofy.  So is the shipping price.  I can see about $6.00 for shipping.

:P

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #4 on: October 5, 2005, 11:16 AM »
I think they are nice for clones... but they arnet republic commandos. Thats what i have a problem with.
They are jsut repainted clones.

Even if just the helmet was changed, i could dig that.

But if there is someone willing to buy, so be it...

Hey phurby, i might offer $6 jsut to beat you out!!! :)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 5, 2005, 12:19 PM »
If you do let me know and I'll offer $6.01.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 5, 2005, 03:01 PM »
Geeze... how about this... buy it now for just $200.00!   ::)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-Custom-Dewback-and-Sandtroopers_W0QQitemZ6003379410QQcategoryZ49013QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He says he paid $300.00 for it...   ::)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 5, 2005, 03:50 PM »
Geeze... how about this... buy it now for just $200.00!   ::)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-Custom-Dewback-and-Sandtroopers_W0QQitemZ6003379410QQcategoryZ49013QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He says he paid $300.00 for it...   ::)

PLEASE ::). I could make that Dewback with my eyes closed, and my airbrush. Oil paints for added realism.

And 200 dollars? :-X

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #8 on: October 5, 2005, 03:52 PM »
That Dewback is really nicely painted, although there is no way that I would pay more than $10 for it, $25 including the figures  :P

I agree with some of the previous posts - selling your customs on eBay is not a horrible thing, however I fail to see the need/want to buy a custom figure on eBay.  We are all capable of making comparative pieces to what is being sold on eBay; sure it might not be as detailed or the paint job might be a bit sloppier, but the fact that we made it for ourselves easily makes up for any shortcomings, in my opinion.
Free market economy, blah blah blah, I know: if somebody buys it, then that means that there is a demand for it.  Somehow that legitimizes the customizer selling his half-assed "custom clones" for exhorbitant amounts of $$$.  Maybe I'm being too much of a jackass about this (wouldn't be the first time in my life  ;)), but there doesn't seem to be any integrity in the seller trying to push out his half-assed custom creations. 
In my opinion, there is a huge difference between selling off some of your older customs or putting up a few customs in an "emergency" to get some quick cash, but the fact that most of the "custom clones" are done by people who are obviously pumping these out just to make a buck really irks me. 
They are not that much better than scalpers, in my opinion.  Sure, they are not selling "hard to find" retail pieces, however they are not really adding anything to the hobby.  These people do not post on our forums, they do not help out fellow customizers with advice, they are very full of themselves (just read those friggin' descriptions  ::)), and they are not creating new customs.  They just mimic each other by seeing what sells for big bucks, and then they bottom level the custom to a crappy repainted #6 clone and try to pass it off as a "Republic Commando" for $100. 
In my books it would be entirely different if they shared their techniques on forums or other means, instead of just leeching off of the collecting community.

I guess it's fairly obvious that I am cranky from lack of sleep  ;), maybe I came off as a bit harsh...
Thanks a lot bjardkerr  :P ;)
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 5, 2005, 04:02 PM »
Greg, you're totally right in what you said.  I agree 100%.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 5, 2005, 04:10 PM »
Well said Greg!  :D

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 5, 2005, 04:24 PM »
Well met Greg!  I agree.  I think a lot of them may visit the assorted customizing forums for ideas, because some of them look like bad knockoffs of stuff I've seen before.

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 5, 2005, 09:03 PM »
Speaking of crappy, mass-produced "customs"......

This guy needs to quit weathering his clones by inserting them in his colon.  Maybe some dull-cote would help.....no.  No it wouldn't.

Ugh I'm just bitchy today with my right frontal lobe migraine.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 5, 2005, 09:20 PM »
Yeah, I don't care too much for how he weathers them either, but I've seen worse.

One thing I don't want this to turn into though is a bashing of other customizers...

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 5, 2005, 10:15 PM »
He responded to my offer by saying, "Get Real." I responded on how any normal person would never pay $100 for them. He responded with "Then I must find alot of abnormal people. People buy my stuff all the time."

Sad isn't it.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2005, 10:25 PM by Master_Phruby »