Author Topic: Say it ain't so!  (Read 12227 times)

Offline aeseven7

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Say it ain't so!
« Reply #30 on: October 6, 2005, 05:19 PM »
I think sometimes us customizers take for granted the things that other people that aren't so artistically-inclined can't do so well (paint/sculpt/etc).  From our standpoint, of course making something ourselves makes more sense than spending $100+ dollars on some sort of custom on eBay. . .but for the majority of collectors out there that have ZERO artistic ability and have no desire to attempt it. . .it makes perfect sense.

I can definitely see both sides of the argument.  Yes, there are some customs (clones in particular) that sell for around $60-$70 that probably don't warrant that much based purely on the level of detail that went into the custom.  But at the same time, I personally would easily pay $60-80 bucks for a clone that was done by sithfire_30 because its a QUALITY clone. 

Customizers that sell their work for higher amounts of money seem to get slightly "crucified" for it because of two reasons (that I can see):

1.  The customizer criticizing is CHEAP.  It may not be his/her fault but I get the impression that they would not be able to justify spending high amounts of money on ANY custom irregardless of the skill or detail involved.  I myself have commissioned quite a few custom items ranging from paintings to figures and have paid a "hefty" amount for them and so maybe its because of that, that i can understand when some collector pays what they pay for something that is either OOAK, or hand-made etc etc.

2.  The customizer, while not agreeing with people selling customs on eBay, has for whatever personal reasons decided to put a couple up and they have gone for less than what they thought they should (of course comparing them to the customs that went for a lot but they felt did not warrant it).  The truth of the matter is that sometimes a good quality custom won't sell for much because the timing is bad. . .OR there's times where a custom won't sell for much because its. . well. . .a loudy custom.

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers but I actually started with eBay before knowing about (and joining) any of these forums so I like to think I have a decent understanding of both worlds.

Again, just thinking outloud.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 6, 2005, 05:56 PM »
I think you should post here more aeseven7.   ;)

And I hope that comment about a figure going for less that one thought wasn't directed towards me.  I have no problem with someone selling customs on ebay.  I do question some of the prices that some people pay on some items, and the "Buy it now" price that some sellers throw up there.

:P

Offline aeseven7

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 6, 2005, 06:11 PM »
Chewie

No no, it wasnt directed at you.  Its just theres times when i read threads like these that a few people have this underlying tone to their posts that resemble the mentality that i mentioned in my post.

And i can understand having a problem with some peoples BIN prices. . .but  i mean would u have a problem with a good quailty custom (thats been heavily modded with sculpting and has a knock-out paintjob) having a BIN price of $100?

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 6, 2005, 06:30 PM »
I was going to argue the point, aeseven, but you kind of already touched on what I was going to say with buying quality. However, I do think it's kind of elitist to define customizers as cheap. You're painting with a mighty broad brush there, and considering the sheer amount most people on this forum spend on fodder alone, I'm not sure it's accurate.

And depending on the work involved, I'd be willing to drop $100 on a heavily modded custom, especially if it was beyond what I was willing or able to do myself. For example... would I spend more than $20 on your airborne clone? No, I'd rather do my own. Would I spend a wad of cash on Commissar Strassha? You bet, because it's a heavily modded piece that I'd have to put more than $100 of work and time to attempt myself with no guarantee of success.  ;D

So, my gripe is relative to the quality of the piece being offered.

-DD

« Last Edit: October 6, 2005, 06:42 PM by Darth Delicious »
Back from the dead!!!

Offline aeseven7

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 6, 2005, 06:49 PM »
DD

Please dont misunderstand my meaning of being cheap.  I dont mean ALL customizers are cheap.  What i was applying it to is the customizer that feels that NO custom is worth more than 20-30 bucks top and feels that ANYone who pays more is "crazy."

Customizers in general put a lot into the artform, i myself dump quite a bit into multiples of figures, paints, sculpting mediums, etc etc etc.

I hope you understand what i meant and that i didnt intend for it to come off like you read it, thats my fault for not being more clear:)

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 6, 2005, 06:54 PM »
Don't sweat it, aeseven, I don't take offense that easily. But I am glad you clarified a bit for those who might have thinner skin.  :D

As we speak I'm trying to talk myself out of getting one of these custom Republic Commando helmets that guy makes.  ;)

-DD

Back from the dead!!!

Offline MasterYogurt

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 6, 2005, 06:56 PM »
You make some very valid points on this subject,  Aeseven7. And by the way, I think your customs are among the best out there.

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 6, 2005, 07:12 PM »
Hey, if someone wants to sell their stuff, by all means, do it.  I'm just tired of seeing customs labelled as something they're not, going for more than they're worth.  An Utapau clone isn't Commander Cody, nor is a maroon clone a Galactic Marine.  Some of these guys are just pumping out this stuff for the sole purpose of capitalizing on an unknowing, probably very casual, SW fan.  Within 6 months, they'll be selling repainted LOTR figures as Narnia customs. 

That being said, this is entirely subjective.  I've mentioned that my definition of good vs. crappy is different from others'.

Now, DD, you mentioned in another thread that you have a huge heed.....I don't know if it'd be wise to invest in one of those RCom helmets.   ;)

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 6, 2005, 08:23 PM »
Now, DD, you mentioned in another thread that you have a huge heed.....I don't know if it'd be wise to invest in one of those RCom helmets.   ;)

;D

Funny. Maybe you're right.

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline aeseven7

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 6, 2005, 09:12 PM »
Thanks DD, im honestly not one who likes to argue, lol.

If you're referring to the RC helmets that are on eBay on and off and are 1:1 scale. . .i want one too!  I'm eager to see his "full armor set" when he finishes them!

I may get a helmet eventually tho. . .just not sure which RC i would want it painted as. . .Sev or fixer would be cool!

Masteryogurt-

Thanks, i try my best to NOT sound like a know-it-all but still make my line of thinking as clear as possible.  Any THANK YOU for the compliments!

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 6, 2005, 09:13 PM »
The only reason I thought of it is I myself look like the personification of a lollipop.  :D

Offline Tijuanajedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ay Chichona!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 7, 2005, 12:49 AM »
Those Auction guys are nothing but slimy rat bastards.

And their customs suck.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 7, 2005, 09:55 AM »
Be careful what you say TJ. The custom police sargent is in the house.  ;)
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 7, 2005, 02:23 PM »
Do not awaken the wrath of a"He Who Must Not Be Named."   :P

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline aeseven7

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 7, 2005, 03:16 PM »
I think Phurby might be referring to me, lol.

He bestowed the honor of Custom Police Sergeant to me over at RS:)