Author Topic: Mini-Rigs  (Read 9663 times)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Mini-Rigs
« on: April 11, 2003, 03:38 PM »
How many people here own any of these mini-rigs?  There were 15 of these produced in the vintage line, and I'll list them below.  What was your take on these?  I heard they were produced because there was a shortage of plastic back then, so Kenner decided it would be less expensive to produce these versus bigger vehicles.  The only one that I have is the Vehicle Maintenance Energizer.

AST-5
CAP-2
Desert Sail Skiff
Endor Forest Ranger
Imperial Sniper
INT-4
ISP-6
MLC-3
MTV-7
PDT-8
Radar Laser Cannon
Sand Skimmer
Security Scout
Tri-Pod Laser Cannon
Vehicle Maintenance Energizer

dustrho

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-Rigs
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2003, 04:07 PM »
I have a few.  I didn't like them to much as a kid. I always wondered where are these from in the movie. Now as a collector I think they are OK. Some are down right near impossiable to find. Those would be the special offer mini rigs.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2003, 12:09 AM »
Most of them weren't in any of the movies, but I think these are pretty cool.  I actually really owned that Vehicle Maintenance Energizer, but I had a lot of friends who owned a lot of the other items.
dustrho

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2003, 01:01 AM »
All I have is the Tri-Pod Laser Cannon.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 04:51 PM »
Just had to dig up this old topic...I've been thinking more about these mini rigs with the talk that they could come up with some new ones for the modern line.  I never had any of these as a kid, but a good friend of mine did and I thought they were pretty fun.  Sure, they aren't technically "movie accurate", but I still kind of like them.  I'm tempted to try to pick some up on ebay, but I keep telling myself I need to work on finishing up my loose figure collection first - then move onto these.  There was some neat stuff in there, and I think some of them might even sell today at a lower pricepoint (I think they were $5 in vintage days, so I'm sure they would be more now - but less than $10 would be good).  Anyways, anyone else here enjoy the mini rigs?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 05:03 PM »
They've been on my 'want' list for a while Brian.  I have a few of them, but I can't currently find them in the boxes, so I don't recall what I have around :-[

I was aiming for MISB versions of these since I don't technically play with my toys and just display them.  I'd prefer to get trilogo versions as well, but those are much less common on ebay.  Loose or with beat up boxes they aren't that expensive, a few creep into the $20 range, but it all depends on the auction and how badly someone else wants it. 

I've noticed that vintage SW toys in general are enjoying a renaissance period that's lasting longer than expected.  I completed my loose collection prior to ROTS being released because I expected the movie to drive up prices.  It did, but the surprise has been how long the effect has lasted and IMO it's still going on.  Ewoks/Droids are good proof of the trend at the moment but it can be seen in most areas as well, the mini-rigs are sometimes an exception, sometimes not. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 07:36 PM »
I loved the mini rigs when I was a kid and I still have the ones from my childhood, but they're pretty "loved".  After all, what's a figure without a vehicle to drive around in?  ;)

I think parents liked them too because they were very affordable and the kids were still getting a toy with a SW logo on it.

(As a collector, I doubt I'd be interested in them if they were released in the modern toy line, but your "needs" change from childhood to adulthood  ;)).

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 08:25 AM »
I have the Desert Sail Skiff and the Sand Skimmer
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Andy_R

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 01:48 PM »
I love the mini-rigs!
Here is one of my favorite pieces.  It is a 2-pack ordered from the 1983 JC Penney Christmas Catalog. 
It still has the mailing label and strapping tape holding the boxes together.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 05:22 PM »
The Mini-Rigs are a great part of the vintage line to collect, because you can do so relatively easy and cheaply - well maybe not the POTF Mini-Rigs. Most of the mini-rigs are constantly available on eBay and more and more I see them now coming with their boxes. I completed a loose set a while back and now have started to go back to get boxed mini-rigs cause it's easy to do - though again the POTF mini-rigs are questionable since the only boxed versions are POTF Tri-Logo. In looking for the boxes, I try to get whatever's available, which explains why all my boxes so far have been from ROTJ. As I've mentioned in other threads, I highly suggest anyone who is looking for a vintage focus start with the Mini-Rigs as they're a fun part of the vintage line that harkens back to a more simpler time.

And since we're showing pics....  ;D

My Mini-Rigs Shelf - I added an ROTJ box for the INT-4 a while back:

My Mini-Rigs Accessory Shelf (amongst other things) - I added an ROTJ Boxed Ewok Catapult recently:
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 10:40 PM »
Nice stuff Jason.  That trilogo Forest Ranger goes on ebay a lot.  I've tried to win it a couple of times, but I'm just so cheap :-\

Those other boxes are also in very nice shape, well done.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 12:02 AM »
Man, nice pic's of the rigs gang.  8)

The rigs are far from me for collecting right now but maybe in the future.  ;)

Offline CanadianCollector

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 01:37 PM »
Don't forget about the Droids Side Gunner and ATL Interceptor!

I usually lump those in with the minirigs.

I've got a small sub-focus going on the mini's right now including some protos.  If I get around to it I'll post some pics of those.

As for the production, I'm debating on how far to go with them.  If the Uzay MTV-7 came up I'd have to give some serious thought to picking it up, same with the Ledy MLC-3.  I've got a few bi-logo / tri-logo boxes and most of the Canadian - Still Looking For The Canadian MTV-7!!!!

I'm very much regretting the fact that I sold all my U.S. boxed ones in 2001. :(

-Mike
www.womprat.com

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 03:05 PM »
Brent: Thanks - I stumbled upon the Tri-Logo Endor Forest Ranger by accident several years ago on eBay. I just wanted the vehicle and the auction said with box, but at the time I hadn't noticed it was a Tri-Logo - was I surprised when I got it!

Mike: I've never considered the Side Gunner and ATL Interceptor part of the mini-rig sub-line. I think they're a tad bigger than the other mini-rigs and I don't believe they were marketed as such. There were several mini-rigs in the Droids cartoon, the Desert Sail Skiff and Sand Skimmer come to mind, it would have been neat to see those get re-issued in the Droids packaging, especially with the great artwork on those boxes.

While replying to a post in the eBay thread, I came across this Mini-Rigs Concepts Article on the Archive.  I think this is a new article, as I've never seen it before, but it's a neat read into some of the ideas that were put out there for the line as well as seeing a couple of prototypes for produced mini-rigs.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 07:25 PM »
Not sure if its becuase i am really bored, but i have been buying alot in the last week. Decided to go after a few of these I dont have. Picked up the cannon. Working on others.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"