Author Topic: Gree and Bly - a nice surprise  (Read 6031 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Gree and Bly - a nice surprise
« on: October 11, 2005, 01:55 PM »
Found one each of these figures at a Target store today... and after hearing a ton of negative things about them, I must say that I am pleasantly surprised with how well they turned out.

Gree - The paint job isn't dead on, but it makes him match the AT-RT drivers pretty well... my only rant would be the straps.  I wish they weren't painted on.  Oh well, I already customized a version of him a while back.  I am sure I can do the same to this one and make it more how I'd like.  Overall, I'd still give this figure a 9/10 score.

Bly - Pretty good too.  If you like the regular red and green commander figures, then this one should be a welcome addition to your collection.  Exactly the same as those, just a different color.  Should look great with minimal customized weathering.

:P

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Gree and Bly - a nice surprise
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 06:19 PM »
I would agree with you on these two Chewie. I was happy enough with em. Not bad for what they are and I am glad I got em.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 08:27 PM »
Bly is pretty darn near perfect. Great figure. However, I do have to aggee with some of the gripes about Gree. Don't get me wrong, he's a clone and clones are good, however, I'm using the official Gree as troop fodder and will either commission a custom movie accurate Gree to command them, or hope that Hasbro will revisit this one in a few years.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 10:30 PM »
Bly isn't bad at all, i just wish they would have matched color on him and the Evo grunts better.

I'm going to have to disagree on Gree though. The paint app is way off. They could have used the insert picture for reference, the helmets doesn't even look close. And the straps should have been actual straps rather than that painted on crap. The back pack is wrong, they could have made a little backpack accessory fairly easily that fit in the slot on the back. The only saving grace is that it is on an SA clone sculpt, I give it a 4/10.
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 10:34 PM »
I guess it's the sculpt that I like so much from the SA Clone that they used for Gree.  I do realize that it's not film accurate, but my only real gripe is the shoulder straps.  I'm willing to overlook that for some reason.  Maybe because green is my favorite color.

:P

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 10:49 PM »
The nicest surprise about these commanders is when and IF I find them at retail. :P
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 10:57 PM »
I'm still searching for these two...and while I don't have them yet, so I can't give a full review on them, I think they are good looking figures from the pictures I have seen.
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 11:09 PM »
I'm too upset over Gree, either.  In one sense, he'll make a nice cammo clone grunt when they eventually redo Gree for real (which they will) and as for Bly, I haven't found him!  Sigh.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 10:12 AM »
I guess it's the sculpt that I like so much from the SA Clone that they used for Gree.  I do realize that it's not film accurate, but my only real gripe is the shoulder straps.  I'm willing to overlook that for some reason.  Maybe because green is my favorite color.

I agree with you Chewie.  I really like Gree, my only complaint is also the painted on straps.  Well, and the helmet colors seem off.  But, I'll buy him because I don't really think they will re-visit the Clone Commanders again this is probably it for Gree.

I also really like Bly.  Sure, he is just a re-paint of the #33, but the paint job really makes him "click".  I love the shade of yellow and I love that his paint aps are new and different from the red/green #33.  Makes him really look like a different guy.  My only gripe here is much like others the shades of yellow don't match with the Evo Clones.  But really, it doesn't bother me as it helps Bly stand out amongst his troopers.

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 10:27 AM »
While I like the figures mainly my main complaint is Gree's paint appl. above the forehead line on the helmet-the card picture shows alot of white up there-sorry Hasbro-it just doesn't look at all like the pic-you should have white not faded grey. ::) :(

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 11:05 AM »
So I take it Gree's head does not come off ala Jango Fett :'(
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 12:01 PM »
So I take it Gree's head does not come off ala Jango Fett :'(

Nope.  It's a straight repaint of the 41 Clone, and has the same ball-socket joint for the head and neck.  Thankfully they painted the ball this time, so it doesn't look nearly as weird as the regular 41's neck.

Bly, I'm very happy with.  I love the Clone Commander sculpt and details, and to see them add more details to it outside of the template used for both 33 Commanders is great.  He's probably the most visible Commander in the film after Gree and Cody, and I couldn't ask for anything more from this figure.

Gree, while using the best of the Clone bodies, kind of falls short in a lot of areas.  My own Gree's green line down the middle front of his helmet is slightly off-center, so his overall head design looks lopsided (again, this is just mine).  The painted on straps, the lack of an actual comm pack, and the missing thigh holster are irritating, but the head being incorrectly painted (on all versions) is unacceptable.  This is made moreso by the fact that both the photo on the cardback and the version shown at SDCC were both painted correctly, and by this point, Hasbro would have had countless photos from ROTS and LFL to go on. 

So yeah, while it's a good figure on its own as a camo Clone, for Gree, it just doesn't stand up well (figuratively speaking) to the film character.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 01:25 PM »
I'm very happy with these two guys as well (though not as happy as I was just to find them)!   8)

Bly, for some reason, is my favorite figure right now.  I really enjoyed the sculpt when it first came out (as did a lot of people), but I just really dig the paint scheme.  It's about as close to perfection (the sculpt and paint combination) as you can get.  If all of Hasbro's releases were this nice, I'd be ecstatic.

Gree is great for the fact that they took another awesome mold and reused it to an extent to where you don't even know it's the same as the #41 clone (at first glance).  Yeah, it would have been nice if they had molded the suspenders separate, but it's a detail I can forgive them for.  I can appreciate the fact that time and $$ was an issue and probably will be from here on out (til the end of the SW license).

Again, Hasbro is listening to us and they've done a bang up job in regards to clone repaints.  I got my first shock trooper (not off the pegs unfortunately) and I love it.  I'm not a big fan of the #6 tooling (action feature and the oversized removable shoulder pad suck), but I love the paint scheme. 

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 03:28 PM »
First of all, I unfortunately do not have a digital camera or a scanner for "proof" of this, so I apologize in advance.

I just got back from the local Target, who had stocked a case of the "Bly and Gree and ten more pegwamers" assortment.  I needed to get a different Gree since, as I stated earlier, mine's nose stripe thing was off-center and it was bugging me more and more every time I looked at it. 

So anyway, I got home and more or less switched the head on the new one onto the first Gree I got (the new one's left knee joint was kind of loose) and it was only when I was looking at the belt that I noticed this:  My first Gree (sounds like a Fisher Price commercial, don't it?) has a completely different detailing on his body when compared to the one I got today.

I don't know how to best explain the differences, as they aren't red/green Clone Commander obvious, but the most vivid area where this is very noticable is on the chest.  The first Gree has a kind of "fuzziness" (as if he's been in some battles and the black paint is chipping at the edge of the lines and it has some additional "mud" on it; the second Gree's chest is totally clean, has straight lines, and no chipping. 

This goes beyond a simple "bad" paintjob on the first one I got; it's obviously something that has been changed from the first to the second version.  The first version seems to be much more realistically detailed than the second one, which although a bit dirty, looks like he just painted his armor recently and saw no battles.  I guess if I had to compare it to something, I'd say it's along the lines of the #50 Anakin Original Recipe vs. Extra Crispy, but a lot more noticable.

Again, sorry for the lack of technology to put this into pictures, but I thought I'd throw this out there so if someone else had two Grees, they could compare them to see what they had.   :-\

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 12:47 AM »
I nabbed the two Commanders tonight and while Gree seems passable to me as a "grunt"...  I mean I could easily see his paintjob being mimiced by his troops he's got stationed elsewhere on Kashyyyk and the forward group on the beaches are his BARC troopers or whatever, but the point is he's passable for a Kashyyyk Trooper...  He's NOT passable as Gree though, not to me.

The paintjob's half-assed and even an untrained (IE: Not a fan) eyeballed the differences between the picture and figure.  That's pretty bad and telling of the inferior quality on the paintjob, so I'm personally hoping a new figure comes out for Gree at some point...  Even if it's lacking the ball/socket torso, but has the sculpted webgear straps and a good paintjob, I'll take that.

Bly I like, however I opened a white pin version (stupidly on my part since I could've probably helped a buddy out with getting a variation when I really only want the yellow pin one).  To me the Commander sculpt's fine, the paintjob's good if not a little bright to my eye, but it's good, and I dig the tweaks to it.

1 out of 2 aint'...  well it ain't good and it ain't bad.  Eh, I want a new Gree...  We need a new poseable Wookiee with a slighter build anyway, and a Super Articulated BARC Trooper, so shouldn't we just get a Kashyyyk wave that has those 3 figures in it and some repack/repaints like Luminara, Yoda, and maybe a nicely painted Tarrful with Preview Wookiee Legs?  Sounds cool to me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77