Author Topic: When did the Empire change their eqiupment?  (Read 9857 times)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
When did the Empire change their eqiupment?
« on: October 12, 2005, 06:50 PM »
I was wondering, when do the Empire change their eqiupment between E3 and E4? Basicley from the ROTS Imperial Stormie armor, officer and tech uniforms, weapons, pilots, etc etc, to the Imperial gear seen in the OT and all EU after it? Is there currently a comic or book on this out?

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: When did the Empire change their eqiupment?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 12:47 AM »
Nothing yet, no, but this will probably be explored in several upcoming books which will venture into the "Dark Times" era as it's becoming known.

I imagine various things were phased in at different times, and probably there was a long period in between when both kinds were in use simultaneously. I doubt Palpatine got up one day and decreed "Thou shalt all switch over to new gear and vehicles today". ;) If it isn't broke, don't fix it, so I don't envision all the ROTS tech being suddenly retired, but simply allowed to wear out/get destroyed and then be replaced with the OT-style tech.

For example, a slightly more primitive AT-AT is already in use during the Clone Wars. And the Imperial officer depicted in the ROTS Visual Dictionary is about 90% similar to the classic uniforms, with small differences in the rank insignia and an additional seam across the chest.

A few bits I do know:

In the Palpatine Inaugural edition of HoloNet News in Insider #84, a clone/stormie is depicted in the ROTS style armor (but then, this is immediately after ROTS so that'd be pretty obvious).

In a Jedi Purge story in Tales, we see Vader with a bunch of stormies in the classic OT armor. Of course, this was printed before anyone knew what the ROTS armor would look like, and this may have even predated AOTC (I don't own a copy so I can't check). This is supposedly the last bunch of Padawans in the Republic/Empire (or so our hero believes, at any rate, giving us a possible loophole) so it's likely within a couple of years after ROTS, at most.

Not much to go on, I know.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 12:51 AM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 05:28 PM »
Thanks for the info.  :)
I doubt Palpatine got up one day and decreed "Thou shalt all switch over to new gear and vehicles today". ;)

Crap, this is exactley what I thought would have happend.  :P

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 2, 2005, 08:49 PM »
Well I figure it took place after oh, 10 years?
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 07:22 AM »
Some things of note...  At the end of ROTS, Tarkin's uniform isn't far off from Classic Trilogy Imperial...  It's my belief that the Republic Military dress changed during the Clone Wars from the Blue Tunic/Slacks to the Imperial Colors, but I also am a big fan of the notion that there's more to the Republic military than Clones...  A LOT more.

As far as gear, the fighters seemingly take a big change at some point, but EU's shown an early AT-AT in use in the Clone Wars, and AT-ST (and other walkers in their class) in use in the Clone Wars as well...  Then other EU shows AT-TE's and other CW era vehicles in use during the Imperial era...  I think the "change" isn't real obvious, at least not anywhere but with fighters where maybe technology is advancing quicker within the arms race? 

I figure Stormtrooper armor becomes a standard at a point where the Emperor wants a more structured, and unified military with less individualistic ideals...  I figure the Individuality was something Jedi instilled in their Clones through some odd sentimentality or some subdued attachment, and the Emperor wants to wash that away with "new standards".  This could tie to ideals of the "New Order", "The Tarkin Doctrine", and other structural foundations of the Empire.

Just some random thoughts...  There is some cross-over being shown though where some technology is still gladly used, some changes slightly, and some more seems to change greatly like fighters where they go from a very unique design with the V-Wing to the "TIE" class of fighters...  Seemingly abandoning the other classes for the most part after the X-Wing is lost to the Alliance early on.

Interesting thing to watch though I believe.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 06:15 PM »
If you read Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, they mention that new ships were being built as well as new fighters and the clones were being referred to as Stormtroopers almost immediately.

I'm sure not everything changed over night, but there were definite improvements made in military hardware if just for the necessity of keeping all the star systems in line while Palpatine consolidated his power.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2006, 02:38 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 06:24 PM »
Another possible reason to revamp the military is to wash away all the 'taint' of the jedi.  They lead all these special groups of clones and are completely associated with all things that are the republic military.  Palpatine wants to erase the jedi from history, revamping the military is a good place to start that.
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 11:09 AM »
Yeah thats true.
Then there is also the fact that with a growing military they would need mass produced armor.
The Stormtrooper armor was not nearly as well crafted as the clone trooper armor.
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 01:07 AM »
Is there some story that details that Stormtrooper armor was lower quality than clone?

Sure seems like there are a lot of Clones

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 02:26 AM »
I've never heard of any source implying that the Empire went cheap on armor after the Clone Wars....

I doubt the difference in quality of armor between Clones and Stormtroopers is very significant... In fact, the Stormtroopers' armor was probably slightly improved on from the armor used decades beforehand. Lighter, possibly more durable.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 06:56 PM »
I finally found an answer! If you've played Battlefront 2, in one of the levels as the stormtroopers it says that battle occured 7 years after the clone wars. So I'm guessing 5 years after the clone wars the Empire changed their gear.

Offline Commander_Miseria

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Touching from a distance further all the time..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 11:07 AM »
ehhh battlefront 2 isn't really the most 'cannon' EU out there :-\

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 06:07 PM »
The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology does say that Clone Armor is superior to Storm Armor, but that the Stormies have better gear.

So cheaper on saving the trooper's life, but more on controling and communicating with them.  That does mesh with the Empire's view on things.

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2006, 07:44 PM »
Well think about it, the empire after the clone wars had barely any opposition and so with the new armor for all the new recruits and clones from different templates they would try and get a cheaper more mass produced armor but yet get a bit more advanced weapons so incase they was an insurgency they would be able to quel it with superior fire power and an overpowering amount of troopers.
This is probably why they have a tad less efficient armor than the original clone troopers nearly a decade or more before them.
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 1, 2006, 12:52 AM »
It made sense to me. =)