Author Topic: Best/Favorites of the ROTS Line  (Read 15321 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Best/Favorites of the ROTS Line
« on: October 13, 2005, 04:38 PM »
Well, although some of us are still scrambling to pick up figures from the "Final 12", we finally have an idea of what the entire ROTS line encompassed.  A whole mess of figures, variants, exclusives, ships, and some other "crap" along the way too :).  Overall, it was probably fairly easily the best of the prequel movie lines, and we got a lot of nice stuff.  What were some of your favorites of this movie line, likely the last "movie" line we'll see?  Feel free to list as many, or as few, as you want.  Here's a few I liked, in no particular order:

Sneak Preview Figures
Wookiee Warrior - nice figure, nice army builder

Basic Figures - Collection 1
1. Obi-Wan Kenobi (Pilot) - favorite of the line, one of my favorite all-time figures
2. SA Clonetrooper (#41) - another one of the bests, looking forward to Gree and any other (regular priced) repaints
3. Clone Commander (#33) - not technically "movie accurate", but a very good figure...looking forward to Bly
4. AT-RT Driver - nice "different" clone, and a solid figure overall....pleasantly surprised when I opened this one
5. Misc. Clones (Gree, Bly, #6, Shocktrooper) - don't have the "Final 12" ones yet, but I'm really looking forward to them...for some reason the Shocktrooper is one of my favorite figures, even though it doesn't use the #41 sculpt

Basic Figures - Collection 2
1. Count Dooku - VOTC like quality, as a number of figures in this line were
2. C-3PO - probably the best 3PO we've seen so far...if we can't get artic. knees, give him a silver shin and re-release him later :)
3. Royal Guard (Red) - soft goods reminds me of vintage days, wish I had more than one
4. Padme (Republic Senator) - very nice Padme figure, somewhat under-rated I think (much like Bail Organa)
5. Misc Jedi (Plo Koon, Agen Kolar, Shaak Ti, Ki Adi Mundi, etc.) - most/all Jedi are pretty well done in the ROTS line.

Other Basic Figure Line(s)
Evolutions - Great idea, and the sets I have are great (no Sith Lords yet).  I wish this line would continue, we've all discussed the potential here.  VOTC like quality here.  Best ROTS Anakin by far I think.

Vehicles
ARC 170  - a fun ship, nice and big too
Jedi Starfighters  - I like the look of these, the original two anyways...don't have the exclusive ones
Wookiee Copter  - a fun toy again, and wookiee stuff is just cool :P
AT-RT  - big fan of this one as well, if I had the room I'd pick up a couple more

Creatures
Boga  - I kind of liked this one, although I know most don't.  Always a fan of a new beast to the Star Wars Universe, not too many from this line really

Exclusives
I didn't get a lot of the exclusive figures, some were good, some were nice...all were overpriced for the most part.  I liked the Target clone (only Target figure I've gotten so far), and the Holo Yoda (thanks JD!), and some of the others looked nice as well.  I'm personally always a fan of the cup sets, although the $13 price point can take a hike.  The Early Bird set is kind of neat, and I'm glad I got it.  Maybe a tad overpriced as well, and could have been even better than what it was.

Miscellaneous
Lots of stuff here, probably some things I'm forgetting.  I thought the Burger King toy promotion was neat, although a little overwhelming.  I always enjoy Unleashed and the Galactic Heroes line, and both of those were solid I thought.  Lots of "miscellaneous" stuff this year it seemed, some good, some not so good.  Again, probably stuff I'm forgetting, but I've gotta run...anyone else have favorites from the year of ROTS?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 09:27 AM by mosnab »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Best/Favorites of the ROTS Line
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 04:49 PM »
OK, I'll play...

Sneak Preview Figures
Wookiee Warrior - Great Wookiee with a ton of toys!

#57 Commander Bly - a great movie accurate, super articulated clone commander.  I like the Yellow best of the 3 paint schemes.  Hands down my favorite from Collection 1. (runner-up = #55 Obi-Wan Kenobi)

#23 Royal Guard (Red) - after the PotF2 "lump" and the Saga rubbery version it was great to finally get a nice cloth version.  Only thing missing was the force pike.  (runner-up = #18 C-3PO)

Other Figure Line(s)
Evolutions - Clone Trooper = 3 great clones for $20 - I loved it!  Factor in the paint variation set and it's a winner!  (runner-up = Dlx Med Table Vader)

Vehicles
Anakin and Obi-Wan Kenobi's Jedi Starfighter (Yellow and Red versions) - great way to capture the start of the movie.  I didn't buy the Blue and Green versions because I thought it was dumb that even the ships has costume changes, but I still love the design of these fighters.

Creatures
Boga - since it was better than the can-cell, it wins.   :P

Exclusives
The Target cup sets.  Sure, they are repacks, but I really like these sets (I didn't like the price hike to $13 half-way through the year though  >:().  They really do look great when they are all posed on the shelf together.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 04:58 PM »
Great topic!

Here are my "favorites"

Basic Figures (all of these can be rehashed for the rest of the line and I will be happy)
- C-3PO - best 3PO ever (I love articulation but I don't really care about 3PO's knees  :P)
- Emperor's Royal Guard (red) - Perfect - great use of EU, vintage, and modern articulation. 
- Clone Commander - Awesome accessories (pauldron/kama) and a great sculpt while retaining a lot of articulation
- Sneak Preview Wookie Warrior - hulking brute!  Huge figure with lots of articulation, what else do you need?
- Count Dooku - best version of Dooku; great articulation, and a softgoods cape!  I like version better than the Sith Evo set
- Obi-Wan Kenobi (Red Leader Pilot) - Best Obi-Wan ever!  Just to head and hand swaps and give us the rest of the Jedi in this form
- Super-Articulated Clone Trooper - 'nuff said  ;)
- R4-G9 - best. astromech. sculpt. ever.

Deluxe Figures:
- Spider Droid - never had the CW version and I like this one a lot
- Crab Droid - aside from disappointing paint apps (or lack thereof), this sheer size of this droid is worth the $10.  Great for battles
- Stass Allie BARC Speeder - I know it was inaccurate and the weak Stass Allie figure sucks, but the BARC Speeder is cool and a great replacement for the crappy ripcord-action BARC Speeder.

Figure Sets:
- Clone Evolutions set - One of the best ideas ever!  I love this set.  Great articulation, removable helmets, awesome accessories; this is one idea that I hope hasbro continues to use.
- Anakin Evo Set - No reason to buy the ROTS versions because these are the definitive versions of Anakin. 

Vehicles:
- AT-RT - at first I didn't really like it, but the more I looked at it, the better it looked
- Gunship - I love this vehicle.  I never had the CW or AotC version, so this was a must buy for me.  Excellent in all aspects.
- ARC-170 - I held off on buying this, but I'm glad I eventually broke down and picked one up.  It really harkens back to the earlier, simpler vehicles.  The design is pretty cool and I really like the absence of electronics and gizmos.

Battlepacks:
Excellent idea, terrible implementation.  If hasbro had simply used the "battlepack" style that they used for the G.I. Joe line (4 or 5 troops and 1 or 2 leaders) and used good versions of the clones, then they could have made a killing on this.  If they had done 5-packs of Clones using the SA or QD clone body in the different ROTS color schemes, it would have been one of the best Star Wars products ever.  As it stands now however, they are only good for display (the Clone Attack on Coruscant has one of the best packaging jobs that I have ever seen) and custom fodder (I'm looking at you Jedi vs. Sith)

Edit - put my "favorite of the favorites" in bold

EDIT AGAIN: How could I forget the best astromech sculpt ever?  R4-G9 rules!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 11:35 PM by Gregorbian »
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 05:05 PM »
Sneak Preview
Wookie Warrior

Basic Figures Col. 1
Commander Bacara (Love the OT-ish Snowtrooper armor)
#55 Pilot Obi-Wan
AT-RT Pilot
#6 Clone Trooper
#41 Clone Trooper

Basic Figures Col. 2
Blue Imperial Guard (Love the EU armor)
AT-TE Tank Gunner
Imperial Med Droid
Kit Fisto
Ki-Adi-Mundi

Other Figure Lines
Grey Clone Evo (Don't have it yet but I want to get it)
Dlx Jet Corps Clone

Vehicles
BARC Speeder
ROTS Gunship
Yellow Jedi Starfighter
Droid Starfighter (Vulture Droid)

Exclusives
Upcoming EU Utapua Shadow Trooper
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 05:08 PM by HunterofThePegs »

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 05:18 PM »
My personal favorites from the basic ROTS line:

SP Wookiee Warrior - One of THE best figures ever!
SP R4-G9 - Great sculpt, details and killer leg feature.
Tarfful - A fun Wook.
Clone #41
Target clone
Commander Bly
Obi-Wan pilot - First decent Obi-Wan of the entire prequel line.
Tion
Mustafar Anakin - The brutal end of Anakin and birth of Vader. Nuff said. 8)
Dooku
Mas Amedda
Mustafar Sentry
Meena Tills :)
Palpatine #35 - Lame action, great head sculpts.
Emperor
Neimoidian trooper
AT-TE Gunner - Great step forward on the legs and a huge one backward on the arms. But the head and helmet are of undeniable quality. The head's not undersized to accommodate the helmet, and neither is the helmet ridiculously oversized. They're both perfectly scaled and there's the amazingly crafted overpiece?! A milestone in 3¾" sculpting quality despite the lame choice of arms.

Non-basic faves:

Evo Anakin
Evo Clone
Vader operating table

Edit: I forgot Polis Massan. ;D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 05:28 PM by Ook »

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 06:25 PM »
My favs are:
r4-g9
c-3p0
count dooku
kit fisto
all the clone troopers
gen grevious 4 arms
SP wookie
arc-170
jedi starfighter

near misses:
chewie
tarful
obi-wan jedi slash
anakin jedi slash
r2-d2
palpatine in red

hate:
none

wants:
newer clone troopers
palpatine gray
mace windu
ki-adi mundi
r4-p17
droid tri-fighter

overall I'm very satisfied.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 07:54 PM »
This is going to be tough...

COLLECTION 1

1.  Obi-Wan Kenobi (Pilot Gear): Best figure of the line and possibly the last 10 years of basic action figures.

2.  Clone Commander/Commander Bly:  When I first saw the ARC Trooper figure in 2003, I laughed.  When I saw them in the comic and on the cartoon, I quit laughing.  When I saw the Clone Commander, I was stunned at how cool it was.

3.  Clone Trooper (#41 SA Version):  I don't care if it wasn't in the film all that long, it's a white grunt Imperial and I'm all for those, especially when they're SA.

COLLECTION 2

1.  Kit Fisto:  SA, great likeness, and a great apology for the now-awful 2002 Saga version.

2.  Bail Organa:  SA, and the most underrated figure of the entire line.  Just because he's pegwarming doesn't mean he sucks.

3.  Tarkin:  it's Tarkin, need I say more?

DELUXE

1.  Vader on Operating Table:  Again, not so much for the quality of the figure, but just for the memories it will bring to mind for years to come.

2.  General Grievous:  Best Grievous (not) available at retail and unlike most deluxe figures, isn't as cheaply designed or executed when compared to the basic version.

3.  Yoda on Can-Cell:  Not in the film (technically), but for what you get in terms of size, it's well worth the 10 bucks.

VEHICLES

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say something I thought I would never say (or at least that others would think they'd never hear me say):  Every vehicle released by Hasbro this year was great.  If you take into account the pilots in the "Strike Force" line or whatever it was called, this would not be the case, but on a vehicle by vehicle basis, everything was practically perfect (BARC wheels excluded).

LINES THAT COULD DO (ALMOST) NO WRONG IN MY EYES

-Unleashed:  All five ROTS UL were incredible, with the Obi-Wan and Anakin being my pick for best toy of the year, period.  Naturally, they pegwarm.

-Evolutions:  I can't say anything that hasn't already been said a million times.  Brilliantly sculpted, brilliantly executed, but poorly shipped. 

-Force Battlers:  Okay, I'm just kidding about this one.  They sucked when they came out and they still suck.  Funny how we haven't seen hide nor hair of those "several waves" that Hasbro talked about coming in 2006 while other toys have already either leaked or been shown at conventions.  ;D

And now since like Han Solo, "Hey, it's me"....

THE WTF? MOMENTS OF 2005

-"Hiatus" of Unleashed 7" line:  Collectors love it, new figures sell quickly, let's cancel it, then shrink it, then uncancel it.

-The majority of Collection 2 post-Aayla Secura:  Sure, there were some great figures in there (Amedda, Polis Massan, Tarkin and his shortpacked Senatorial brethren), but some of the figures looked like POTF2/Episode I leftovers (Zett, Antilles) and others were made out of soap and/or spaghetti (AT-TE Gunner and Vader's Medical Droid, respectively).

-The lack of proper label sheet with the TRU Obi-Wan Jedi Starfighter and Hasbro's subsequent evasiveness and apparent refusal to accept blame or correct this mistake.  I won't go into detail, but everyone who followed my thread knows how pissed off I am about this and why.

-Force Battlers, Attacktix, Jedi Force, and so on.  Just one word: WHY?   ::)

-Commander Cody.  One more word: WHERE?  Sure we're getting him next year, but the most prominent Clone in the whole film and he's not amongst the movie year's releases?  I've got an idea, let's go back to 1983 and not release Jabba the Hutt, just so this won't look like a complete mistake.

This being said, the positives (the sculpting, articulation and overall quality of the figures and ships offered) outweigh the negatives (availability, distracting useless side-lines, the never ending exclusive fiascos), so I'm going to give this year a thumbs-up. 

« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 07:55 PM by DoctorPadawan »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 10:06 PM »
I'm keeping my list short because, well, that's just the way I am. But...

Over all, I thought this line was well done and there was lots to cheer about. Here are my absolute favorates:

The Evolutions line - excellent. What more can anyone say?

#55 Obi wan Starfighter pilot. - Great surprise to find a supurb figure.

#33 clone commander/ Bly. - Nicely done clones and just plain fun to play with.

AT-RT - come on, it walks!

ARC-170 - nice big, well designed toy.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

SilverZ

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 10:25 PM »
I think my votes must to the early Collection 2 figures, specifically the Jedi. I think that they're quality in terms of sculpt and articulation has been really overlooked by the need for clones lately. I'd never have thought we'd see Luminara Unduli, Shaak-Ti, or Ki Adi Mundi with detail rivaling the VOTC. Those are top-notch figures which make later efforts in the same collection downright embarrassing.

I wish that they treated every character with the attention to detail and articulation that was used in those figures.

For Collection 1, Pilot Obi-Wan comes close to that standard for me. He's my favorite C1 figure in the line.

The starfighter vehicles have also been great. The Jedi Starfighters are built really well. I didn't even mind the repaints.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 10:29 PM »
Best figs:

Obi Wan Pilot: Best modern SW fig ever.  Bar none.
SP Wookie Warrior: He was the best until Obi Wan.
Commander Bly/Clone Commander: Outmatched only by
Evolutions Bly Grunt: who is second only to
#41 SA Clone: 'Nuff said.
Evolutions Anakin
Count Dooku
AT RT Driver
Padme
Kit Fisto
Luminara
Plo Koon
Evolutions Vader
#43 Wookie Warrior (Vanilla, Chocolate, Dark Chocolate)
Deluxe Vader on operating table
AT TE Tank Gunner

And lots more.  My favorite exclusive was the Holo Yoda, and my favorite ship the Wookie Flyer.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 11:43 PM »
Basic Figures:

Obi Wan Pilot. He's SA, awesome sculpt and most definately the best Obi Wan figure so far. It could of used a Soft Goods Cloak but other than that perfect.

Clone Commander/Commander Bly. Any clone was a big favorite of mine in this line. Just one big gripe on the Bly, he should of had a removable helmet.

SA Clone, AT-RT Driver, Shocktrooper, Clone Pilot, Regular #6 Clone etc. Come on they're clones.  ;D

Any of the C2 Jedi. They are the way they should be. I wish they would of done a Collection 2 Mace but oh well.

Tarkin. Stench and all.

Vehicles:

Gunship. If you can find it its a good 30 dollars spent.

Arc-170. New ship, very cool and again worth 30 bucks.

Deluxe:

General Grievous. Probably the best version of him. Thats not saying much though.  ;D

Stass and exploding Barc. "New" Jedi and better version of the rip cord Barc.

Exclusives, Battlepacks, Evolutions, Unleashed etc:

All three Evos. Definative versions of great characters.

Kmart JTA Battlepack. While giving us two regular pegwarmers they also gave us three Clones we really wanted. Plus the #6 body is alot better than the Tank Gunner Body. Just needed those pesky blue lines on the legs.

The Unleashed line. Nuff said.

I remember my dream now.

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 01:51 AM »
Sneak Preview Figures
R4-G9
Wookie Warrior

Commander Bly
Obi-Wan Kenobi Pilot
SA Clone Trooper
Clone Commander Red

C-3PO
501st Trooper (once i get it)
AT-TE Gunner

Evolutions
ALL of them, best sculpt and articulation

Vehicles

Anakin and Obi-Wan Kenobi's Jedi Starfighter (Yellow and Red versions)
Republic Gunship
ARC-170
Plo Koon's Jedi Starfighter

Exclusives
C3 Vader

Battle Packs
Jedi Temple Assault
Clone Attack on Coruscant

:)

Offline blaster_e11

• Jedi Initiate
  • Charming to the last
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005, 06:44 AM »
Sneak preview : Wookiee warrior is a no-brainer

Basic :

# 55 Obi-Wan Kenobi with pilot gear
# 33 Clone commander

"Wars don't make one great"

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 10:10 AM »
Sneak Preview:
Wookie
R4-G9

Collection 1
Obi Wan Pilot: Best figure in the line, great likeness and SA! Agree with Metal Jedi on a soft goods cloak but I have tons of Ep. I Jedi Accessories so mine has a soft goods cloak!
SA Clone #41. Regardless of who you are you have to love this figure!
Commanders/Bly: I like each of the commanders buy Bly is my favorite.

Collection 2:
Agen Kolar: GREAT Jedi sculp and  great for customs. Love this figure!

Vehicles
ARC 170 Best new vehicle in the linie! At Sam's it is a real bargin!
Obi Wan and Anakin's Starfighters. Nice basic vehicle. My 11 year old loves playing with his.
For me the Gun Ship does not get consideration since it is a rehash.

Evolutions:
This is hard cause I don't think you can go wrong with any of them:
Clone Evolutions: There clones!
Anakin Evolutions: Nicely done overall
Sith Evolutions: Finally lightning coming out of the hands!

Battle Pack:
Jedi Temple Assult: One reason (besides the fact my mother-in-law is not doing good right now health wise) why I have not busted out to find the new Tactical Ops figure.
Only compliant is the same as always, put the Sith Eyed Anakin in there along with a black clone pilot (IF Hasbro had to put another pilot in there) or better yet, put 1 SA #41 501st Clone in the mix!

Overall:
Obi Wan Pilot is my personal favorite, for several personal reasons, one being I love Obi Wan and this figure just rocked!

"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 08:12 PM »
Man, the Tac Ops trooper just became one of my faves!