Author Topic: NBA 2005/06  (Read 54817 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2005/06
« Reply #255 on: June 19, 2006, 12:48 PM »
Haslem didn't really earn six personals last night, and the one that sent him out of the game was a phantom call.

I like Haslem, he's a fellow gator and we attended at the same time, but In the replay they pretty clearly showed him committing the foul.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 19, 2006, 01:25 PM »
I guess my point is that the officiating is never going to be perfect, and unfortunately, the NBA probably has the worst officiating of any of the major sports.  I just hate when a loss is blamed on the refs.  Like I said before, it takes away from the great games that certain players (Wade, Terry, Howard) had, and puts the attention and emphasis on the wrong thing.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 19, 2006, 01:43 PM »
Despite the "TO call" last night, it really shouldn't have even come to that.  The Mavs missed 3 of their last 4 foul shots (Dampier and Howard) and basically gave the game away.  Even Shaq was 2-2 in the final minute foul shots in game 3, and he's a disaster on the foul line.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 19, 2006, 02:10 PM »
Despite the "TO call" last night, it really shouldn't have even come to that.  The Mavs missed 3 of their last 4 foul shots (Dampier and Howard) and basically gave the game away.  Even Shaq was 2-2 in the final minute foul shots in game 3, and he's a disaster on the foul line.

Yeah ... there were plenty of occasions last night where plays were made (or not made) that affected the outcome of the game.  It's unfortunate that the officiating is taking center stage in this one, but that's the way it goes.  Miami got hosed pretty bad in one of the games in Dallas when Shaq and Wade were the only two players to shoot foul shots for the entire game.  They didn't get the calls because they were passive and settling for jumpers ... which is similar to the way Dallas played in Miami.  Dirk and Co. will get calls if they give the refs no choice but to make calls for them.  I expect Dallas to be much more aggressive in Game 6.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 19, 2006, 06:26 PM »
someone needs to closely check josh howards bank accounts.  he was clearly paid off to throw that game.

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 19, 2006, 11:47 PM »
i love this game  8)

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 20, 2006, 08:13 AM »
I expect Dallas to come out with a lot of energy tonight.  The home crowd will really get behind them.  Miami will have to weather the initial storm if they are to have a chance to win this thing.  It's going to be a tough game for them ... especially seeing that they tend not to show up when they aren't facing elimination.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 08:18 AM by Darth Rayne »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 20, 2006, 02:44 PM »
The funniest thing I heard on the radio today was the following brief report I heard on the 20/20 Flash Update on WFAN radio:

"Mark Cuban was fined $250,000 by the NBA today for several acts of misconduct."

I was laughing pretty hard for a good minute.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 02:45 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #263 on: June 20, 2006, 02:45 PM »
Two simple, casual thoughts from a simple, casual basketball fan:

1. I know this is a "must win" game for the Mavericks tonight, but isn't it kind of a must win game for the Heat, too, given that it's virtually impossible to win a Game 7 on the road, in pretty much any sport?

2.  I'm glad that the series is back in Dallas, if only for the reason that the player introductions in Miami were some of the most annoying and obnoxious intros I've ever seen and heard.  Their PA guy sucked, and they were way too long.  The other night, when the national anthem started up, I went for a piss, and then fixed myself a drink, came back, and they were still in the middle of introducing the HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeaaaaat.

Sorry; nobody's intros will ever be as good as the Jordan-era Bulls intros were.  No sense in trying to top them.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 02:46 PM by Grandma Tarkin »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #264 on: June 20, 2006, 03:01 PM »
"Mark Cuban was fined $250,000 by the NBA today for several acts of misconduct."

$250,000 fine

Reported fines levied by NBA against Mark Cuban
Total Fines:  13 
Fines of $200,000+  =  4 
Fines of $100,000+  =  8 
Total fine amount  =  $1,665,000.00

Wow, that's a TON of cash to waste bitching at NBA referees...  :o
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 20, 2006, 03:05 PM »
Yeah, Mark Cuban is just a lot of fun because he's a freakin' lunatic:

"Cuban then turned to Stern and other NBA officials who were seated at the scorer's table and was overheard to shout venomously in the jubilant din, '[Bleep] you! [Bleep] you! Your league is rigged!' "

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 20, 2006, 03:33 PM »
Cubes rules.  He's been at my company a few times before and is always a hit apparently. 

He also matches any fines he incurs with equal donations to charity.

So the bigger the fine the better.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 20, 2006, 03:39 PM »
Two simple, casual thoughts from a simple, casual basketball fan:

1. I know this is a "must win" game for the Mavericks tonight, but isn't it kind of a must win game for the Heat, too, given that it's virtually impossible to win a Game 7 on the road, in pretty much any sport?

2.  I'm glad that the series is back in Dallas, if only for the reason that the player introductions in Miami were some of the most annoying and obnoxious intros I've ever seen and heard.  Their PA guy sucked, and they were way too long.  The other night, when the national anthem started up, I went for a piss, and then fixed myself a drink, came back, and they were still in the middle of introducing the HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeaaaaat.

Sorry; nobody's intros will ever be as good as the Jordan-era Bulls intros were.  No sense in trying to top them.

I agree with everything you said above.  Though I don't think the Heat will beat Dallas four straight times, they have a better chance of winning the Series tonight then if it goes to Game 7.  And that's what makes me nervous.  The Heat don't always "show up" when they perceive that the situation lacks urgency.  I think that they must win tonight, but I can see that they may be thinking, "Well, we have two chances to win this thing."
I'm a fan of the Heat, but I wish their announcer would just shut the **** up (though he isn't as annoying as the Pistons' announcer).  There have been many that have tried to imitate the great Ray Clay and the way he announced the Bulls' lineup during the Jordan Era.  I've yet to see anyone come even close.  

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 20, 2006, 03:40 PM »
And the one bit of joy that I would get out of a Dallas win in this series would be to watch David Stern have to present the Championship trophy to Cuban.  I'd almost pay to see that.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 20, 2006, 03:42 PM »
And the one bit of joy that I would get out of a Dallas win in this series would be to watch David Stern have to present the Championship trophy to Cuban.  I'd almost pay to see that.

May very well be the most hysterical moment in NBA history, let's hope we see it.