Author Topic: NBA 2005/06  (Read 54942 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2004/05
« Reply #30 on: September 9, 2005, 08:04 PM »
As I've been preparing for the NBA fantasy draft here, I'm now confident that the Cleveland Cavaliers, on paper at the very least, have the best team in the NBA:

PF  Drew Gooden 
SF  LeBron James 
 C  Zydrunas Ilgauskas 
PG  Damon Jones 
SG  Larry Hughes

Now that their starting PG has been made Damon Jones, look at that starting five.  The real X factor here is that just look at the improvement that LeBron James has made between year 1 and year 2, as opposed to Carmelo Anthony say, who has really flatlined between year 1 and 2.  If LeBron makes another huge leap like he did in his sophomore year, I don't care how battle hardened Timmay and the Spurs are, Cleveland Cavs will be the NBA champions.  This is one phenomenal squad.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2005, 08:04 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2005, 11:56 PM »
I agree it's impressive, but the NBA almost more than any other sport needs a team to have the talent and know how to use it in the finals.  More than a few teams with great talent have made it there, only to lose in spite of being superior talent-wise. 

Couple that with the health of the players and I think you're a year out yet for Cleveland. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2005, 05:50 PM »
i like cleveland because they are a young and fun to watch team, but i am still skeptical.  they have some real talent, but after they crumbled last year, even with the new guys and new coach, i would be surprised if they can knock some of the perenials out of the top couple of spots.

Offline juanelopezrosario

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2005, 08:17 PM »
CLEVELAND AS CHAMPS!!!! NO IT IS TO EARLY AND THE EXPERIENCE FACTOR IS CRITICAL...IN THE EAST IT WILL BE MIAMI

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2005, 08:28 PM »
CLEVELAND AS CHAMPS!!!! NO IT IS TO EARLY AND THE EXPERIENCE FACTOR IS CRITICAL...IN THE EAST IT WILL BE MIAMI

Miami with Shaq could beat Cleveland, Miami has the experience factor.  I just think on paper LeBron, Larry Hughes, Drew Gooden, Ilgauskas and Damon Jones are the most talented.  But the games are played for a reason, instead of 20 geeks sitting around a table and just voting on the best team.  There's always a twist.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2005, 11:33 AM »
But the games are played for a reason, instead of 20 geeks sitting around a table and just voting on the best team.  There's always a twist.

that is true.  its not as blatant as in football, but there is pretty much always at least one  team that greatly exceeds expectations.  if shaq is injured and detroit and indiana aren't as steady as they have been cleveland could be #1 in the east.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2005, 06:16 PM »
To hell with Where's Waldo.  See if you can find the 3 NBA players in this photo:

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2005, 10:52 AM »
Kind of crappy news out of Phoenix, with Amare Stoudemire likely out (at least) 4 months with a knee injury.  It sounds like it is the same injury that players like Penny Hardaway, Allan Houston, and Chris Webber have had in the past...and those guys weren't ever the same really.  Of course, from what I've read this morning, Amare's isn't quite as serious and he's a lot younger when he went through the procedure.  Hopefully he'll be back at full strength ASAP, I'd like to see the Suns do well again this year.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2005, 03:39 AM »
Kind of crappy news out of Phoenix, with Amare Stoudemire likely out (at least) 4 months with a knee injury.  It sounds like it is the same injury that players like Penny Hardaway, Allan Houston, and Chris Webber have had in the past...and those guys weren't ever the same really.  Of course, from what I've read this morning, Amare's isn't quite as serious and he's a lot younger when he went through the procedure.  Hopefully he'll be back at full strength ASAP, I'd like to see the Suns do well again this year.

We all know how these knee injuries can go.  Jason Kidd is really the sole example of a player who returned as his former self afterwards.  But doctors in Amare's case say they saw nothing else wrong with the knee at all while they were in there, and combined with his age, are very optimistic he'll come back as strong, or stronger, as he was last year.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2005/06
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2005, 05:54 PM »
i think even jason kidd isn't as explosive as he was before, but since his strengths never relied on his athleticism he has remained a pretty decent player.

amare is young though, but he still might have to learn to shoot.  this is probably bad news for the suns for this season. i would guess they won't win 60 again.

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2005, 01:59 AM »
Amare should be pack before All Star break, he'll heal fast cuz he's young. Suns will be good as long as Nash and Marion are injure free

GO LAKERS!  8)

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2005, 06:50 PM »
i know he is a bunch older and probably never as talented, but allan houston's similar knee injury just ended his career.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2005, 09:29 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Amare until the playoffs if the Suns are sitting pretty.  I do not trust knee surgery.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2005, 05:53 PM »
even if they just sneak in at the 8th seed i might hide him until april.  knees are tricky and i am sure the suns don't want amare to become the next vince carter.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2005, 09:42 PM »
i am sure the suns don't want amare to become the next vince carter.

Agreed.  No head coach wants their player to miss 30 games annually with a strained right vulva.