Author Topic: Covert Ops Clone Trooper  (Read 53791 times)

Offline DarthAcroyear

• Jedi Initiate
  • TI - 568, D. Acroyear, Callsign "Spartan"
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
Re: Covert Ops Clone Trooper
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2005, 10:11 AM »
Well, I kind of like the look of it, weird as it is, and I want one but I don't think I want it badly enough to spend $14.00 plus shipping for one. I feel like Hasbro and even Lucas think they can put the name "Star Wars" on any piece of crap they want, hike the price to the stratosphere, and then expect us to buy it no questions asked. The worst part of it is, a lot of us do just that. Oh well, maybe I'm just tired and getting grumpy in my old age. ::)
TI-568, D. Acroyear, Callsign "Spartan"
Bloodfin Garrison,
Omega Wing Squadron

"I aim to misbehave."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2005, 01:52 PM »
We clammored, we raised hell. "We want Clones!", we said. Now we reap what we sow.

Kevin

Pretty much.  The old saying "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it" seems very fitting at this time.  Collectors opened this can of worms.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2005, 02:15 PM »
We clammored, we raised hell. "We want Clones!", we said. Now we reap what we sow.

Kevin

Pretty much.  The old saying "Be careful what you wish for, you might get it" seems very fitting at this time.  Collectors opened this can of worms.

Only the collectors who were willing to plunk down $13 for a single carded figure.  Don't put us all in the same boat, I for one made zero contribution to this current mess.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2005, 02:42 PM »
I didn't single out one individual.  Just take a look at every message board in the collecting community.  It's almost mindless at this point.  "We want more Clones!  We want more Clones!"  Keep on asking that and this is the end result.

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2005, 03:17 PM »
I didn't single out one individual.  Just take a look at every message board in the collecting community.  It's almost mindless at this point.  "We want more Clones!  We want more Clones!"  Keep on asking that and this is the end result.

Funny that collectors clamoring for something (in this case more clones) works to get us $14 Clone Troopers, but it does NOT work to get us FREE Mail-Away figures or figures for our Jedi Master Points or Ice Cream Maker Guy or many other things we collectors have been clamoring for over the years...

Better keep trying I guess:

"We want more FREE mail-away offers!  We want more FREE Mail-Away offers!"

"We want Ice Cream Maker Guy!  We want Ice Cream Maker Guy!"

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2005, 03:18 PM »
I didn't single out one individual. Just take a look at every message board in the collecting community. It's almost mindless at this point. "We want more Clones! We want more Clones!" Keep on asking that and this is the end result.

Come on. Implicit in those cries of "We want more Clones" is the notion of movie-based clones, not this kind of garbage (at least not until all the movie variations had been accounted for).

That's what everyone meant, you know and I know that's what they meant, and even Hasbro has to know what they meant. Hasbro is just misinterpreting it on purpose, to whip everyone up into some kind of frothing desperation so when Utapau clones are finally released they'll soil themselves and drop $20 apiece.

(BTW, calling these EU is a disservice to the Expanded Universe. This is not based on anything from any book, comic, or game--just some ****** paintjob cooked up to justify a price-hiked exclusive.)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 03:19 PM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2005, 03:27 PM »
Given Hasbro's history with the way they handled the Batman line, how are people not surprised by this?  Maybe I just have incredibly low (or perhaps realistic) expectations of them given their track record.  Because let's face facts...there are no more movies for them to draw from to fill out the toy line.  This is probably going to be the first of many such products.

Feedback

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2005, 03:31 PM »
Sure, but they haven't even exhausted all possibilities from the films themselves, let alone scratching the surface of EU. They have at least a couple entire years full of potential movie figures before they need to "branch off" like this.

There's no excuse for doing this crap before all the film characters have been done. (Well, besides short-term monetary gain.)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 03:32 PM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2005, 03:45 PM »
They have the license from Hasbro until 2018.  They need to space things out.  Do you seriously think there are enough characters to make first run figures over the next 12 years?  No.  That's why there are going to be products like this.  That's why we're going to get a couple of dozen more Luke Skywalker's and Han Solo's.

If things like this are completely inexcusable...don't buy them.  Plain and simple.  If enough people are outraged and make it known by not buying these products then Hasbro will get the point.

There's no excuse for doing this crap before all the film characters have been done. (Well, besides short-term monetary gain.)

When did Hasbro stop being a business and become a charity?  We have to deal with reality here.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 03:48 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2005, 03:46 PM »
No way would I even want this item... I'm not outraged that they're making it, I just don't see any need for it in my collection.

:P

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2005, 03:48 PM »
If things like this are completely inexcusable...don't buy them. Plain and simple. If enough people are outraged and make it known by not buying these products then Hasbro will get the point.

If you don't like it don't buy it.  That sounds all fine and good, but doesn't it run the risk of creating a brand new problem...

For example, what do you do?

Buy the $14 Clone Trooper you hate to show your support for the idea of a Clone Trooper line of figures that might one day give us Utapau, Kashyykk, and Mygeeto Clones.
-or-
Pass on the $14 Clone Trooper you hate and then suck it up when Hasbro says "Oh, we've cancelled the Clone Trooper line we had planned because they didn't sell well".   :-\

Whether it's the Cinema/Screen Scenes or the Wal-Mart Cantina Packs or something else, we hear something like "Oh, we cancelled wave 2 because there was no demand for wave 1" - Well no **** sherlock, you packed rehashes no one wanted in the first wave and put the newer figures in Wave 2 and 3.   ::)

Either way, we lose on crap like this.  Either you buy **** you don't like to "support the line" or you pass it and then suck it up when line X gets cancelled due to "poor support".  

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline DarthAcroyear

• Jedi Initiate
  • TI - 568, D. Acroyear, Callsign "Spartan"
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2005, 04:05 PM »
I really think the only way any of us are going to "win" in this mess is to have each of us decide want we want, want we don't and how much is something worth to us. Or perhaps I should say, how much are we willing to spend on something. Hasbro will never make all of us happy and they have no desire to try. Who can blame them. Heck, even if they made everything I want from Star Wars or GI Joe for that matter, I don't have enough money to buy it all. I find SA Clone Troopers all the time any more and I wouldn't mind having another 20 or more of them but I can't afford it. I need whatever "fun money" I have for some of the final 12 figures, that new TIE Fighter, and a couple of those 5 figures sets.

This doesn't excuse them from doing some of the things they do but they are a business and all they really care about is the bottom line. They don't care about us. They never have and they never will but they do want our money. That they care very much about so perhaps the time has come for all of us to think a bit more about who we give are money to and why we want to give it to them. I know this really doesn't solve much nor does it take away the sting it seems that all of us are feeling but really, I don't know what else we can do. At least we aren't in this all by ourselves.
TI-568, D. Acroyear, Callsign "Spartan"
Bloodfin Garrison,
Omega Wing Squadron

"I aim to misbehave."

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2005, 04:09 PM »
I'm really hoping this thing falls flat on it's face, because there has to be a ceiling to all this craziness.  They're really starting to price these things too high to enjoy.  I don't want it to feel like I'm paying for a lobster dinner for two everytime I go to order a $5 action figure.

You said the same thing about the Target Clone. I highly doubt this will fall flat on its face. Too many people want clones. Thats why we have these EU ones. Its more like REU. Reeeeally Expanded Universe.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2005, 04:11 PM »
Either way, we lose on crap like this.  Either you buy **** you don't like to "support the line" or you pass it and then suck it up when line X gets cancelled due to "poor support".  

Yeah but people LOVED the Unleashed line and supported it and then Hasbro cut it… we just can't win  :'(
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 04:12 PM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2005, 04:15 PM »
I really think the only way any of us are going to "win" in this mess is to have each of us decide want we want, want we don't and how much is something worth to us. Or perhaps I should say, how much are we willing to spend on something. Hasbro will never make all of us happy and they have no desire to try. Who can blame them. Heck, even if they made everything I want from Star Wars or GI Joe for that matter, I don't have enough money to buy it all. I find SA Clone Troopers all the time any more and I wouldn't mind having another 20 or more of them but I can't afford it. I need whatever "fun money" I have for some of the final 12 figures, that new TIE Fighter, and a couple of those 5 figures sets.

This doesn't excuse them from doing some of the things they do but they are a business and all they really care about is the bottom line. They don't care about us. They never have and they never will but they do want our money. That they care very much about so perhaps the time has come for all of us to think a bit more about who we give are money to and why we want to give it to them. I know this really doesn't solve much nor does it take away the sting it seems that all of us are feeling but really, I don't know what else we can do. At least we aren't in this all by ourselves.

Good well thought out post.  You're right, all Hasbro really wants is our money.

:P