Author Topic: Life after customizing?  (Read 9262 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Life after customizing?
« Reply #15 on: November 9, 2005, 11:42 AM »
The reason it's viewed by many as a kid's hobby is because it utilizes action figures.

And you know what I always say to people when they ask me why I "play" with kids toys or collect kids comic books? Who says they are for kids? Do kids make them? Are kids sitting in the Hasbro offices right now designing figures, or sitting down talking to Stan Lee and Joe Quesada over at the Marvel offices coming up with the newest X-Men or Spider-Man plot threads? NO. It's adults. Adults make these things, why can't adults buy/collect/play with them? Who says it's just for kids?

That's almost like saying I wouldn't go to see Toy Story or The Incredibles because it's a "kids" movie. Again, did a bunch of kids sit around in the Pixar and Disney studios coming up with these ideas? No. It's adults. Why can't adults enjoy these as much as the kids?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 9, 2005, 12:41 PM »
I enjoy them more than the kids do.   :)

:P

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 9, 2005, 12:45 PM »
For some reason my wife likes to tell me I'm obsessed with star wars figures when we're in bed and I'm about to fall sleep. This is when she will tell me I'm spending too much on star wars and we are running out of space. It's true we are running out space but I actually spending about on average about $30 a month. She tries to make me promise to never buy any more figures just so I can go to sleep.

She does however like my custom figures and encourages me on their creation. She actually picks up paints and brushes for me but never wants to pick up parts. She's thinks its a better hobby than watching and talking about sports all day.

Since ep3 is over now, I think my collecting will have a large decrease in what I pick up. However, I think customizing will increase. I'll pick up the occasional 'never made before' alien but not the six thousandth Vader. Instead, I'm going to concentrate on EU and never made characters. I think the custom figures are going to start taking over the home office and the official stuff will be packed away.

At least, that's the plan. It may change tomorrow. ;)

« Last Edit: November 9, 2005, 12:45 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 9, 2005, 07:25 PM »
Preachin' to the choir joka.  :D

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2005, 09:46 AM »
Also, i think we need to take into consideration how many customs you make weekly.
Chewie is a MACHINE. If he had an assebly line in his work room i wouldnt be surprised.

I make maybe 3 per month.  4 in a busy month.

Do you think your current rate of customing would continue??

Offline Delaton

• Youngling
  • FFURG Graphics Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2005, 09:21 PM »
I've found that I accumilate figures for fodder, through clearances, Ebay auctions, and yard sales at a much faster rate than I could ever hope to customize.  This has both benefits and faults...the benefit is that I've built up a fodder "bank" of over 500 figures for customizing.  The fault is that, like so many other people on the list, I'm running out of space to store the figures, never mind even displaying the collection!

As far as the future of customizing, I don't think SW toys will disappear entirely but probably will scale back and move away from the movies in an effort to tie into all the TV things that are planned.  Customizing will continue, just as vintage customizing are still possible today.

My plan for the future?  Learning to sculpt in wax so if the market dries up for new figures, I can make my own!  I also have plans for lots of dioramas, as long as space allows for it.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2005, 11:15 PM »
Sounds like you have quite an extensive fodder assortment too Delaton.   :)

Glassman, yeah lately I've been on a frenzy.  That will slow down when the next photonovel gets rolling though.  After it's done, I'll start back up.

The only thing I really see changing my customizing so much would be a life altering event... like having a kid.  Which will happen eventually, but probably about a year before me and the wife start trying.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2005, 10:40 PM »
Hmm I'm not sure I have an answer to this question. Right now I am not customizing at all, I haven't made a custom in months and I can't even remember the last one I made. My job has taken over my life in the last two months to such an extent, that tonight is the first time in what seems like forever I had more than 5 free minutes at the office to surf the web.

Nonetheless, I still have the urge to customize and I feel as long as I have the urge I won't stop. I may take breaks, but there will always be an idea that will crop up and I'll always have my fodder and supplies handy.

The Forgotten Force came to be in part because Kenner had stopped making figures years ago and there were no new ones in sight. The appearance of the POTF2 line didn't change that and I feel that if and when the modern line comes to a halt, customizing will still be a central part of my SW life, as well as I'm sure it will be the same for many of you.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline coeli

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2005, 02:02 PM »
My personal and work life have been having a hard time getting along lately. I still have the urge to do customs but haven't had the time. I wll start on one and then tell myself that I really should be doing something more constructive like cutting the grass, laundry, cleaning the house and the like and I usually do that instead. Of course, there is the hour or so after I get up in the morning that I spend downing coffe like it is going out of style and staring at this screen ::) I am hoping that after X-mas, things may slow down and I can set aside a few hours a week to do some customs, I have alot on my list to do!
"How can I get turned on, I am surrounded by little plastic men!";to quote my wife....

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2005, 02:07 PM »
Coeli, I think I speak for everyone when I say that your updates and fewer posts here lately have been missed.  It's hard trying to find time for these things!  But good luck to you, I can't wait to see you get back into the swing of things.   :)

Offline Delaton

• Youngling
  • FFURG Graphics Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2005, 09:40 PM »
Customizing, at least for me, always goes in cycles.  Sometimes, it's on-off in a few days..other times, it's monthes at a time, due to work or video games or whatever.  However, I always find I do some of my best work when I'm not "forcing" myself to customize.  I've had the same 4 Mygeeto Snowclones on my workbench for 3 months now.  Yeah, they'll get done eventually but currently I find the intricate painting tedious and therefore not enjoyable.  If I'm not enjoying it, then why do it voluntarily?