Author Topic: ROTS variation/error thread  (Read 73209 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: ROTS variation/error thread
« Reply #30 on: April 7, 2005, 11:20 AM »
Now we know why Mace's is purple :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #31 on: April 7, 2005, 11:32 AM »
Well, if I was going to throw out a prediction, I'd say the BLUE one will become the rarer of the two.  Why he has a blue saber makes no sense to me at all based on spoiler reports and all.  Maybe it will when the movie comes out and there is a 50/50 split but that remains to be seen.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #32 on: April 7, 2005, 12:31 PM »
I suppose the Palpatine #35 with red lightsaber will be hard to get right?  This kind of sucks IMO.   Why don't they just give him both lightsabers red and blue? 

I think the blue will be the tougher find.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: April 7, 2005, 02:12 PM »
So, what is the deal with the #35 Palpatine sabers?

Some people are saying it is intentional because at some point Palpatine has Anakin's saber in RotS.

Other people are saying it's an error because the figure was based on early filming stuff but the error is now fixed with the red saber figure.

The rest of the people, like me, are trying to figure it out.  :(

Do I need one of these Blue Saber Palpatines or not?  If it's a variation/error, I can pass on it because I want the movie accurate Red Saber one to open.  But, then again, if this Palpatine w/Anakin's saber deal pans out and is in the movie, then I'm going to want one....  ::)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline SGT. Flint

• Youngling
  • Th'is I... The Price Of Punk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 8, 2005, 09:53 AM »
I have found a picture of a new variation to the Battle Droid

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 9, 2005, 04:17 PM »
Its a simple swap.  You cant even tell it was tampered with due to the sloppy job Hasbro did with the tape.  I thought of this the first day I found the fig.  Im really surprised a bunch have not been swapped and thrown on ebay.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2005, 09:25 PM »
So, what is the deal with the #35 Palpatine sabers?

Some people are saying it is intentional because at some point Palpatine has Anakin's saber in RotS.

Other people are saying it's an error because the figure was based on early filming stuff but the error is now fixed with the red saber figure.

The rest of the people, like me, are trying to figure it out.  :(

Do I need one of these Blue Saber Palpatines or not?  If it's a variation/error, I can pass on it because I want the movie accurate Red Saber one to open.  But, then again, if this Palpatine w/Anakin's saber deal pans out and is in the movie, then I'm going to want one....  ::)

Jeff

Actually Jeff - NEITHER version may be "movie accurate" - I got two Red Saber versions at Kohls yesterday morning and the hilt of the lightsaber is STILL Anakins! That's right - to correct the lightsaber color, all Hasbro did was change the color of the blade, NOT the lightsaber handle!

IMHO - this figure just gets more and more screwed up as time passes. Next thing you know, we're going to get one where the handle is correct and the blade is blue and then finally a perfectly correct figure where the handle is correct and the blade is red!
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Herbert_Ackermans

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Blue and Purple
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2005, 02:11 PM »
Concerning the blue and purple cardbacks, are those tied to specific figures, or can any figure be found with either a blue or purple background?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Blue and Purple
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2005, 02:14 PM »
I think they're somewhat random, but were perhaps a little more common in the higher numbered figures.  I believe it's been explained over at RS that it was just an issue with the color dye that causes a lot of them to come out purple-ish by mistake.  I'm trying to make sure my complete carded collection is all of the regular blue variety though, and will probably just hang on to one carded purple figure just as an example of the production error...

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2005, 02:34 PM »
I view it more as a QA issue vs. an error, all printers print differently and obviously no one cared about the tolerance in color difference.

Since I'm an opener I really don't care, but I have noticed the color variance.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2005, 02:46 PM »
I view it more as a QA issue vs. an error

Yeah, basically so do I.  I didn't really mean a "production error" like the random unpainted visors or something specific like that.  Basically, this was a wide spread, long running error in the production of the cards (due to the poor QA), as one of the paint dyes ran out along the way, and wasn't noticed and fixed for quite some time.  So it's a QA issue, but that's not really a usual "figure description" that checklists get broken out into, like "variant", "production error", etc.  So I lumped it into the latter, but yeah, it was due to QA.  I basically consider the two intertwined in this instance really...

I just feel bad for the uber-carded maniacs who are trying to complete a set of both...

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2005, 03:05 PM »
Concerning the blue and purple cardbacks, are those tied to specific figures, or can any figure be found with either a blue or purple background?

These are definte random as Matt mentioned.  Being in a MFG backrground, the purple were probably at the tail end of each run before colors were reset.  I tried to find logic but have found both variations on 30 of the first 32 figs. 

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2005, 08:20 PM »
So, with that all in mind, does anyone here think that there is more behind these saber variations/errors? Examples from AOTC/SAGA  that became ridiculous:

Luminara cloak text, stickers...
Clone Trooper dots (no dots on photo...)
Luke Bespin (bloody, metal peg, rubber peg...)
Luke Throne Room glove

I think the most out-of-control variation was the Bespin Luke stump/peg corrections. I agree that things get out-of-hand and it makes me wonder who is making all the correction decisions when they release a figure with 4 or more different changes on an accessory. Why can't they just figure it out the second time?

It is frustrating as a collector to follow and collect all these versions and wonder which might be the shortest lived run. The production numbers on corrected figures are kept pretty secret. I was hoping that Hasbro would be able to have figured out a system by now to avoid the continuim of redo's and corrections. Guess I was wrong...
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline starwax137

• Jedi Initiate
  • Go away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2005, 09:15 AM »
I don't have a picture yet, but my #12 Palpatine's cardback has Grievous's Bodyguard spelled as Grievous's Bodygaurd. Not sure if this has already been spotted. Can anyone confirm that there is even a correct one out there? The only one I've checked is the one I bought. Also, has anyone noticed this on any other figure's cardback?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2005, 06:46 PM »
Mine says "Bodygaurd" too. I think this is just an error that won't be fixed.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks