Author Topic: ROTS variation/error thread  (Read 73211 times)

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
ROTS variation/error thread
« on: April 2, 2005, 01:08 AM »
I thought if anyone should start this thread, it should be me, the JD.com checklist creator. I pride myself on knowing as much as possible about variations and errors and I assume we will see our fair share of them from the SWIII figure waves.

So, while I have nothing at this time to report, I look forward to finding out what there may soon be in this department. So, if you find something interesting that relates, please share it with our fellow collectors of obscurity in this thread. If you suspect something, have any questions or want more details about specific production malfunctions and corrections this is the place to post. I assume there will be no missing pipe accessory and lets hope the clone trooper dot and visor is revisted in the Wookiee Warriors...

Best of luck and good hunting to all!
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: ROTS variation/error thread
« Reply #1 on: April 2, 2005, 01:14 AM »
Purple VS Blue Cardbacks. I noticed this IMMEDIATLEY tonight.

Mainly Anakins were puprle, rather than blue.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 2, 2005, 04:41 PM »
Hey Thomas long time no chat. Well this was reported on RS: Possible Canadian Card Variations I can confirm this as the only figure I saw with that action sticker on it thus far.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 2, 2005, 05:07 PM »
To borrow Jedi Jasons picture:

See the purple then blue?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline starwax137

• Jedi Initiate
  • Go away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 2, 2005, 05:48 PM »
I noticed the whole purple/blue thing too, but it looked to me like Collection I is blue and Collection II is purple. Can anyone confirm or disregard this?

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 2, 2005, 05:53 PM »
Not sure if its anything but I have a Chancellor Palpatine  that has his head turned at an angle to his right.  I have another one with his head looking striaght ahead.

Offline SGT. Flint

• Youngling
  • Th'is I... The Price Of Punk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 2, 2005, 10:00 PM »
I found quite a few errors so lets begin.....

1: I found numerous red royal guards with there weapons missing (The rifle mostly)

2: There are 2 DLX versions of both Ani (Boots and gloves on side and bottom of the package)

3: I found 3 DLX versions of the SBD (Arms away from package, leg away from package, and A put together SBD.

4: That was it folks and There should be pics soon from what i saw

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: April 3, 2005, 12:51 AM »
Nice finds!

The obvious variations (please excuse anything that I get wrong, I'm a bit out of the loop):

- Anakin - 2 carded versions thus far - no cloak and no dark circles under eyes/ with cloak and dark circles under eyes

- Royal Guards - blue and red

- General Grevious - with cloak/cape and without

- Yoda - spinning action and cannon

- the blue and purple cards... The thing about this is, is there a difference? Do I need to have the Chewbacca on both colored cards to feel complete? Is one less common than the other?

A complaint I should probably air elsewhere...

- the peg holders are really chinsey. Very thin and do not seem to do well with a lot of handling.

I also think that this Amidala with child figure is going to earn a name much like 'monkey face Leia', but I fear what it will be...

SGT. Flint, nice finds! You must have had ample time to study the figure assortments when you went out. Wish I had the patience and the store I was at wasn't so crowded to afford me the luxury of studying things.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2005, 08:51 PM by Thomas Grey »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 4, 2005, 12:01 PM »
Here's one for the folks who suffer from OCD spelling disorder! 

Greivous' Body Guard "name tag" is spelled incorrectly.

It's spelled:  General Greivous's body guard.

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: April 4, 2005, 01:09 PM »
So, is it that the type is lower case? Because guard is spelled: g-u-a-r-d. Just curious.

AOTC/Saga had so many card corrections during the run. I wonder if Hasbro will as articulate in correcting errors like that with ROTS. Good eye ruiner! I will definitely have to check that out next time I go out for a figure run.
« Last Edit: April 4, 2005, 05:33 PM by Thomas Grey »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: April 4, 2005, 05:47 PM »
The obvious variations (please excuse anything that I get wrong, I'm a bit out of the loop):

- Anakin - 2 carded versions thus far - no cloak and no dark circles under eyes/ with cloak and dark circles under eyes

- Royal Guards - blue and red

- General Grevious - with cloak/cape and without

- Yoda - spinning action and cannon

Well now, hang on here just a second Thomas.  I wouldn't call those variations at all.  Those are just multiple versions of the same character is all - with their own specific collection #'s and everything.  There's also 3 different versions of Sidious/Palpatine as well, if you wanna get technical.

As for the blue/purple cards, I definitely noticed that as well as I was sifting through things at MM.  I've seen color differences like that before though, and I don't think it's an intentional thing at all.  More of a subtle, and addidental, altering in the printing process.  This is a more of a "production error", and one that I definitely have no interest in pursuing.  Granted, I probably will flip through all my figures to try to make sure I have a matching set, with no purples mixed in there, or blues, or whatever it is that's the incorrect color.

As for legitimate "variations", the only two I've heard of so far are the Deluxe Vader/Anakin with the accessories either below, or to the right side of the figure, and the Kenobi/SBD Deluxe figure where the SBD's leg is either attached to the SBD, or detached and sticking out to the side.  Those are the only two I plan on going after so far.  Nabbed the Vader yesterday, but didnt' know about the SBD one 'til today, so I'll have to see if I can find one of those now as well...

EDIT:  Looks like Flint's suggesting one more variation on the SBD with his arms "out".  Interesting.  I'll have to keep an eye out for that one as well...
« Last Edit: April 4, 2005, 05:47 PM by JediMAC »

Offline SGT. Flint

• Youngling
  • Th'is I... The Price Of Punk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 4, 2005, 06:18 PM »
Well Ive been working on the pics and i have spotted a major variation on the royal guards....

Ive found 4 red and 4 blue guards packaged without there rifles and pistols and the packages werent tampered with either

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: April 5, 2005, 12:54 AM »
Like I said, I'm out-of-the-loop.

I obviously overlooked the collection #'s. The pictures are different on the Anakin and Yoda figures, but the Royal Guards are packaged on the same card. Why don't you take over here Matt... I mean, when did you become a variation/error enthusiast and collector? Always have to one-up me don't ya? But that's why I like you so much, you keep me on my game...

Here's an interesting ebay sale...

Target Lava Vader chest plate variant?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2476&item=5967410730&rd=1

There are also a couple sales that tell of a few different Obi-Wan hair color variations - dark brown, reddish and light brown. The images are really bad and so it's hard to confirm. This is probably more of a "paint error" than a legit variation.

The Grevious Body Guard error looks to be on the back of the card where they show images of other figures from that collection. IT IS spelled 'Body Gaurd' under the figure image.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=98027&item=6523387124&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

One other item of interest in the error department:

Decapitated/Headless Battle Droid

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2476&item=5967177835&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I have a headless Jango from the AOTC collection. His dome is floating around in the bottom of the card.

I personally have had zero luck finding anything interesting on my own. Hope that changes soon.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: April 5, 2005, 09:00 AM »
Palpatine # 35 is now out with the proper red saber.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 5, 2005, 09:09 AM »
So, is it that the type is lower case? Because guard is spelled: g-u-a-r-d. Just curious.

No, not quite.

The error is the plural of Grevious.  It should be Grevious' Guard not Grevious's guard.

« Last Edit: April 5, 2005, 09:09 AM by ruiner »