Author Topic: Gotta raise 'em right!  (Read 6424 times)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
Gotta raise 'em right!
« on: October 25, 2005, 03:01 PM »
I just wanted to share this.  My son just turned 4 and has been a Star Wars fan for a while.  He loves the OT -- doesn't care too much for the PT.  He especially loves John Williams' score.  After I put the kids down for their naps today I came back upstairs to check on them.  I heard something in his room so I listened by the door.  I realized he was singing the IMPERIAL MARCH!  This went on for about 10 minutes.  He always asks me to "sing Star Wars mommy."  He usually sings "Jesus Loves Me" or "Twinkle, Twinkle" before he goes to sleep.  This blew me away!  Makes a mother proud! :)  So I was wondering -- has anyone else had any great SW moments with their kids/nieces/nephews/Godchildren/etc.?
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Gotta raise 'em right!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 04:21 PM »
No

(of course, but I don't talk about it...sheesh!)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 05:23 PM »
My nephew's also 4 and he loves Star Wars.  I was talking to him on the phone Saturday, and he said to me, "I don't think I can come over tomorrow Uncle Matt."  I kind of knew that since he lives in NY and I'm currently stationed in Wyoming/Colorado.

I told him it was too bad because I had all my Star Wars toys out and we could play all day with them, he immediately called for his dad saying, "Dad!  Uncle Matt has Star Wars toys and we could play ALL DAY!"

He's probably still bugging his parents to come for a visit.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 07:07 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 06:12 PM »
I could probably tell a dozen stories.   ;)

Last month my daughter received a clock for her birthday (a pink flower one - very cool of course).  She already had a Snoopy one, so she offered it to me for my Star Wars room (since I've been known to lose track of time down there while setting it up  ;)). 

Then when she was "helping" me set up my Burger King SW toy collection, I realized I had an extra Darth Maul.  She asked if she could have it and we'd call it a trade for the clock.    :D

No

You never cease to confuse the hell out of me Jon. 

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 06:43 PM »
I could probably tell a dozen stories.   ;)

No

You never cease to confuse the hell out of me Jon. 

Whew -- I'm glad its not just me.  After that post I thought "was I just being the annoying/bragging mom?  Maybe it wasn't of interest to the serious collector types :-["  Then I was glad to see that others had little stories to share :)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 06:48 PM »
I'm sure it was just Jon's wacky sense of humour, right Jon?   ;)

Besides, we need more "annoying/bragging mom"s around here.   :P

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 06:51 PM »

Thanks Jesse  :)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 07:08 PM »
Jesse,

I hope you left her a good feedback in the trade forum.  That snoopy stuff can be worth quite a bit!   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 07:09 PM »
Good idea!   :D

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 07:14 PM »
Jesse,

I hope you left her a good feedback in the trade forum.  That snoopy stuff can be worth quite a bit!   :D

Uhhhhh, I don't get it ???

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 07:39 PM »
I'm sure it was just Jon's wacky sense of humour, right Jon?   ;)

Whateva....I have an assload of stories about SW and my kids
but I'm not bragging about 'em here. Wacky? Yeah, good call Jesse..but let me know when I get to Morbie's level so I can retire :-*

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 09:11 PM »
I think the ribbing and teasing that goes on at JD is great -- I've been known to throw in a few smartass comments myself -- all in good fun. :P  I didn't expect these kind of comments though.  I didn't feel like I posted anything controversial or that deserved judgment.  I felt like you guys were an extended family and that this was something that I could share.  I thought the title of Watto's Junkyard was "This is YOUR community! Discuss everything and have fun..."  Not so fun :(  Is the deal here that you are taken seriously as a member only if you are a collector/customizer?  I didn't get that impression when I joined.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005, 09:28 PM »
My girlfriend's kids have made me laugh several times just recently about Star Wars...

The first time almost brought a tear to my eye.  The kids got the Clone 3-pack at Wal-Mart, got it home, and realized they couldn't pose them.  They threw them down and decried, "These guys suck, you can't move them!", and their mother taped the packs up and took them back to the store.  It just reinforced every belief I've had about this hobby.

Then at ROTS as we left the theater they were just wound up beyond belief asking me everything and anything they could think of about Star Wars...  When their mother got them sabers they were outside playing with their friend smacking each other around with the sabers.  I gotta get them the electronic ones soon.

Then they were with me on a toy run once and asked me which figures I wanted and helped me look.  That just made me laught really, but it was nice nonetheless.

The latest one though was when I was looking at the Hoth Wave pictures down at my gf's house, the boys were over my shoulder looking...  The funny comments included:

-"That Clone in the snow suit sucks because you can't move him" (gotta love that).
-"I want that Boba Fett!"  (Fett could suck, they just want one irregardless of how poseable he is)
&
-"Why don't they make their knees move?" (regarding the Veers and Derlin figures I was sorts frustrated about).  The boys then went on to say "Well that's dumb of them". :)  Hah!

Oh yeah and they actually asked me why there was a Vader coming out when "Wal-Mart has so many of them already", haha.  Kids are more astute than people give them credit for sometimes.  And this was with NO coaxing on my part, they just offered these "opinions".  Had me laughing.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2005, 09:45 PM »
Is the deal here that you are taken seriously as a member only if you are a collector/customizer?

Absolutely not.  We welcome everyone at JD who likes to participate in a Star Wars forum with a "more mature" yet fun setting.  So, please, feel comfortable here. :)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2005, 10:16 PM »
Is the deal here that you are taken seriously as a member only if you are a collector/customizer?

Absolutely not.  We welcome everyone at JD who likes to participate in a Star Wars forum with a "more mature" yet fun setting.  So, please, feel comfortable here. :)

It doesn't bother me at all either. Just don't take Slothus and all his " ::)" smilies too seriously. ;)

While I don't have any kids of my own, and hopefully that is still a good 10-15 years away... I've got a couple pretty funny stories from the toy eisles at TRU Target and Wal-Mart. One little kid wanted an R2-D2 and he was explaining to his grandpa who he was, and when he could only find nemoidian gunners he got really disappointed. There are more too but that one was the most recent.
"This is the way."