Author Topic: ROTS DVD Review  (Read 3566 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
ROTS DVD Review
« on: October 26, 2005, 02:24 AM »
I posted my review of the ROTS DVD tonight on the site. I was able to get a copy a few days early, and sat down and watched it this evening. Beware, there are spoilers regarding the deleted scenes and features, if you don't want to know what they are, don't read my review. I've also got some screenshots in there as well. Enjoy!!

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: ROTS DVD Review
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 04:10 AM »
Thanks for the early review.  Good stuff.  Want to take issue with a couple of points, though:

Gotta disagree with you on the packaging issue.  I'm all about fancy packaging (the fancier, the better), but that's overridden by my desire for uniform packaging for a series of films.  Case in point: Harry Potter.  Warner issued the first two in those nice digipaks, and then changed over to the double-keepcase for Azkaban.  Drives me nuts, and the way I've organized my collection, I don't keep them all together because I don't like the way they would look.  So for Lucasland to change horses in midstream, as it were, with the packaging, would be a bad thing, in my opinion.  I'm glad they've kept it uniform with this one.  Save the fancy packaging for the next releases.

And also, there's just one commentary track, yes?  Your review kind of reads like there's several commentary tracks--one for each participant.  And although they might have been recorded separately and edited together, there's still just one total commenatary track to listen to.

And instructions for accessing the Easter egg might be nice, too--maybe after the disc's been out for a little while.  It's my understanding that this one's set up pretty much like the others have been.

Thanks again for the review. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 10:40 AM »
Thanks for the early review.  Good stuff.  Want to take issue with a couple of points, though:

Gotta disagree with you on the packaging issue.  I'm all about fancy packaging (the fancier, the better), but that's overridden by my desire for uniform packaging for a series of films.  Case in point: Harry Potter.  Warner issued the first two in those nice digipaks, and then changed over to the double-keepcase for Azkaban.  Drives me nuts, and the way I've organized my collection, I don't keep them all together because I don't like the way they would look.  So for Lucasland to change horses in midstream, as it were, with the packaging, would be a bad thing, in my opinion.  I'm glad they've kept it uniform with this one.  Save the fancy packaging for the next releases.

Yeah, you are 110% correct on that point, and I actually meant to put something along those lines in there. Even though I would have loved some fancy packaging job, the fact that they kept it consistent was better. I only wish that one of the retailers (Best Buy, Target, Citrcuit City... someone) would have offered a free exclusive slipcase or something along those lines. Even a mail-in offer would have been appreciated. But we got nothing.

And also, there's just one commentary track, yes?  Your review kind of reads like there's several commentary tracks--one for each participant.  And although they might have been recorded separately and edited together, there's still just one total commenatary track to listen to.

Sorry 'bout that. Yes, there is just one commentary track, like the other discs in the Prequel Trilogy.

And instructions for accessing the Easter egg might be nice, too--maybe after the disc's been out for a little while.  It's my understanding that this one's set up pretty much like the others have been.

Thanks again for the review. . .

Well, I'll say this much. If you have the other discs from the Prequel Trilogy and you know how to access those Easter Eggs, then you'll have no problem gaining access to this one. It's in the same place. And as I said, it's very much worth a look. Short and sweet it may be, but very funny.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 03:14 PM »
Well, I'll say this much. If you have the other discs from the Prequel Trilogy and you know how to access those Easter Eggs, then you'll have no problem gaining access to this one. It's in the same place. And as I said, it's very much worth a look. Short and sweet it may be, but very funny.
Thanks for the review -- you put a lot of effort into it.   I have been given the instructions to find the Easter Eggs in AOTC and I cannot seem to get it to work.  I have tried it on all my DVD players and my PC :-[  Could someone give me an "Easter Eggs for Dummies" tutorial?  Thanks.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 08:05 PM »
The easiest way to find them is on your PC. Depending on what software you have, you can just select "Title 3" from the title menu. I'm not sure what you are using but on my PC I can just right click on the movie while it is playing and I get an entire menu of options to select.

Hope this helps.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 07:14 PM »
Cool review Dave and makes me look forward to the DVD more...  I saw some people at another site gloating how they already had their bootlegs and were happy but I just can't see how the bootleg "satisfies" these people.  I dunno.  LFL does good with the extras generallly...  Granted I'd have appreciated a couple more deleted scenes or some such, but I guess it's fodder for later releases or other ****.

Cool man, great work!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 09:36 PM »
Yeah, I've had a bootleg - and a really, really good one at that - since a few days after the premiere, and I've watched it several times. But it is nothing compared to the real release of this film. Anyone that thinks the bootleg they have is good enough is just plain crazy. Believe me when I tell you, the version I had was so good that when I would show it to people they thought it was the real thing. But this is just so much better, and not just because of the added footage. The overall quality of this disc is simply amazing.

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
  • i've never seen garbage eat garbage before
    • View Profile
    • http://swfanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Darth_Depressis
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 11:05 AM »
disc two never had a chance nothing tops revenge of the sith, nothing.

but on a side note, bloopers would have been great, i think i'd buy a new copy just for bloopers. ep 1 and ep2 bloopers are awesome why no sith bloopers are we supposed to believe there wern't any? i mean we know threepio hit the deck atleast once and i doubt hayden was able to not fall down at least seven times.....