Author Topic: Pirates of the Caribbean Collectibles  (Read 35970 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Pirates of the Caribbean Collectibles
« on: October 26, 2005, 02:08 PM »
According to this article at Action-Figure.com, it sounds as if there will be a mass retail line for the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean movie(s).  The line will be made by a company called Zizzle.  Although I am a fan of the original movie, and will likely enjoy the others to come, I don't know if I will collect any of these.  What I found interesting about this article was this portion:

"Kids will be able to take to land or sea with different play sets, including an Ultimate Black Pearl ship measuring nearly three feet long!"

Now that's a vehicle/playset ;).  I still wish we could see more of this in the Star Wars line, I think that it makes a line overall more exciting.  Anyways, might be a neat line, more details at the linky.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Pirates of the Caribbean Collectibles
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 04:28 PM »

"Kids will be able to take to land or sea with different play sets, including an Ultimate Black Pearl ship measuring nearly three feet long!"

How do you re-tool a GI Joe aircraft carrier to make it into a Pirate Ship? :o

I liked the movie and loved the ride at Disney (my favorite when I went as a kid, though I can't imagine the song still says 'rape' in it) but I'll not likely be grabbing any of these. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 04:32 PM »
I saw an article in Toyfare that they are going to make a line of Disney exclusive figures based on the actual ride as well. The line features a bloody skeleton with a sword through his chest, making him the goriest Disney figure to date.  8)
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 7, 2006, 03:15 PM »
It looks like the Green Dragon has pics up of four figures from the upcoming 4" Pirates of the Caribbean line (from a company by the name of Zizzle).  You can see pics of the figs at the linky above, they don't look too bad really likeness wise.  I believe these will accopmany the new movie this summer, and be available at retailers.

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 9, 2006, 03:18 AM »
Those suck. I'm so glad Neca is making figures as well.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 9, 2006, 11:39 PM »
HLJ has the 1/6 Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean) up for pre- order. Only $159.07 US or $182.70 CDN and ships in June.

Ha, better deal at Robby.jp, only $104.00 US or $120.00 CDN budski.   ;D   :D

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 1, 2006, 10:49 AM »
Maybe a little bit of an impulse buy after not finding the Senate pack, but our local Target had the new line of Pirates of the Caribbean figures/etc. on the pegs (from the company Zizzle).  I picked up the regular Jack Sparrow figure (3 3/4") just for the heck of it.  It was $6.99 and comes with his hate, a sword, and a gun.  It isn't too bad of a figure really, but not overly articulated.  Basic shoulders, hinge elbows, basic head, and basic hip/leg articulation - basically a vintage Star Wars figure style, with added hinge elbows.  Also, he has a sheath for his sword on the figure - but you can't use it.  That's slightly annoying with us getting used to working holsters, sheaths, etc. with the Star Wars and LOTR lines over the years.  Aside from that, the figure isn't too bad.  Its a line overall I could see having fun with as a kid too, with that upcoming Black Pearl ship on the way.  Looking at the pic at EE (around $61 price point) I don't see why Hasbro can't give us some new ships here and there.

On side note, I've really noticed what a deal the Marvel Legends (and sometimes Classics) figures are - we have the smaller Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Marvel Legends Showdown figures all at $7 and up - and you can often get the large Marvel Legends figures for less than that.  Just an observation - but anyways, these are out there if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: May 1, 2006, 10:54 AM by Brian »

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 6, 2006, 01:59 PM »
At Target earlier today I saw the 3.75' POTC2 figures. They actually looked much better in person, and I may pick up that spiffy Prison Escape Jack figure later.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2006, 07:26 PM by HunterofThePegs »

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 7, 2006, 06:16 PM »
The figs aren't great and are overpriced.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 7, 2006, 07:19 PM »
Just picked up Jack Sparrow (Prison Escape) at Target. This figure is great! Good articulation, great sculpt, tons of accesories, I don't know why all the hate! He includes a pistol, bone, and a coffin.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: May 8, 2006, 02:38 AM »
I'm with HoloE for the most part...

I thought they lacked articulation dramatically, and they're priced similarly to SW figures.  To say they were poor sculpts is harsh I think, but they weren't great either...  They were just ok.

So, moderate sculpting, highly limited articulation, and pricing similar to the SW basic line which itself has tons of shortcomings...  Yeah, not my cup of tea.  I was hoping for good custom fodder but even that seems limited.  I saw a head or two I'd dig getting if on serious sale prices but that's it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 8, 2006, 03:10 PM »
I'm with HoloE for the most part...

I thought they lacked articulation dramatically,  highly limited articulation,

The Prison Jack Sparrow has ample articulation:
-2 Hinge Elbows
-2 Hinge Knees
-2 Swivel Hips
-1 Swivel Waist
-2 Swivel Shoulders
-1 Ball-Jointed Head

10 is good enough IMO...

Offline Annatar

• Youngling
  • Lord Sauron the Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 8, 2006, 03:48 PM »
The figs aren't great and are overpriced.

I agree, I saw them today and was amazed at how small they were. Not bad detail and sculpt, but if you want great DMC figs, go with NECA, they rule.
Rebelscum: The Wal-Mart of Star Wars forums.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: May 8, 2006, 05:11 PM »
I didn't notice the hinged knees on the Sparrow figure...  I noticed some had static legs though, nothing beyond hip articulation, so I guess some aren't badly articulated while others are...  Still, the giant hands, the price, and there's still a lack of articulation there for posing I feel to some degree...  The price, if lower, would have maybe changed my mind I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 8, 2006, 05:51 PM »
The POTC2: DMC line also has a generous amount of accesories. You get usually a sword and pistol with almost every figure, and with the Prison Escape Jack I have, it comes with a coffin (Even bigger than TSC Han's Carbonite block). Some figures feature removable hats as well.

Still, the giant hands
The hands look pretty big, but when you take a figure out of the package, they are just in scale as the rest of the figure. The lower sleeves are big, but that's because pirates wore puffy shirts.

the price, and  The price, if lower, would have maybe changed my mind I think.
The price is just the same as the SW TSC figures. $6-$7.