Author Topic: Pirates of the Caribbean Collectibles  (Read 35957 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Pirates of the Caribbean Collectibles
« Reply #45 on: August 1, 2006, 09:26 PM »
The POTC stuff sells out fast here too...  I guess so much for waiting on clearance for that wheelhouse ruin...  If I'm gonna get it I need to do so soon.  That skull/bone cage is a kickass piece for Star Wars customs too.  Could be an Amanin captive prison or an Ewok one as one of our customizers used it for...  It's cool looking.

Jesse, check your Target.  Mine is clearancing these things at $10 I believe.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #46 on: August 2, 2006, 01:33 AM »
Mine they're all out Jim, or I'd gladly nab one at that price as I'm customizing it. :(  Wish we could get them for $10...  If you happen to see one, I'd be indebted to you if you picked it up for me man.

$10's really an awesome price on that piece.  It just needs some work to be a ruin in a European City from WW2 (what I was gonna use it for).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 2, 2006, 09:23 PM »
I didn't pay much attention to the clearanced items at Target till today.  I looked for that set you were after, Jesse, but my store was out of them.

Plenty of cleranced priced pirate ship playsets though.  My WM store loaded up with toys in the last couple of weeks.  I hadn't been in there in a while and was surprised to see how much they ramped up after the film opened.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: August 3, 2006, 02:11 AM »
Thanks E, I appreciate it man.  :)

That's one of those goofy things I want, but ultimately if I don't get this set cheap I'll live without it too...  Just it's a good piece to fit into military dio's...  I saw a set an XD guy painted up.  Man it's nice when painted "professionally".  Very realistic. 

Cool stuff...  Thier Series 2 looks fantastic.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 3, 2006, 02:28 PM »
Dale, is that the Medicom version?  What do you think overall?
I am really tempted to get it but not sure if I want to spend over $100.00 and then have it drop to half price 2 months later (it was hard enough to stomach when that happened with Luke and Vader).

I really like this version but I doubt if I'd have any place to put it (picture from www.thegd.com):
« Last Edit: August 3, 2006, 08:07 PM by jadesfire »
Beth

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #50 on: August 3, 2006, 06:52 PM »
Does anyone have pics for series 2?  ;D
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 3, 2006, 08:16 PM »
Thanks E, I appreciate it man.  :)

That's one of those goofy things I want, but ultimately if I don't get this set cheap I'll live without it too...  Just it's a good piece to fit into military dio's...  I saw a set an XD guy painted up.  Man it's nice when painted "professionally".  Very realistic. 

Cool stuff...  Thier Series 2 looks fantastic.

I think I found out why my Target wasn't clearancing the Isla Cruces playset, it's in the new action figure aisle setup.  Still selling at retail. 

It is a great looking set, though.  Do you have pictures (or a link) of the one painted up for use in a military dio?

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 3, 2006, 08:30 PM »
Dale, is that the Medicom version?  What do you think overall?

Yes it is Beth & it my 1st RAH figure. I really like the figure & the box art is super, once I get things going in the house after the move this will display nicely.  8)

This auction shows the box on both sides as mine is now packed up.

Medicom Johnny Depp Jack Sparrow 1/6 Pirates Caribbean

I picked him up from RoBBy.jp & it came to about $106.80 US & $140.25 US shipped & arrived in 4 days.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #53 on: August 4, 2006, 02:31 AM »
E, I'll try finding it when I have some time...  The military 1:18 site I visit is a bit of an unorganized forum though so stuff gets lost in the shuffle...  I'll look though.

It's a well done sculpt...  The painting was really highlighting great sculpt details you didn't get otherwise really.  Very nice stuff.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 4, 2006, 10:41 AM »
As much as I like the custom dios that I've seen of Star Wars I've always thought the scaled military guys were really up there when it came to customizing and scratch building things.  Them and the model railroad guys.

I looked at the box for the PotC playset and it does look like it has some cool detail and a lot of potential. 

E...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #55 on: August 5, 2006, 01:35 AM »
http://www.dwarvenforge.com/dwarvenforums/viewtopic.php?id=1126

This is the guy that did some repainting of it...  I think there's more work to do to it personally (filling in the concave back of the stone pieces, painting a lot of the green another color due to its angular look (maybe a more poured cement/foundation look for it), and just a general heavier weathering, maybe painting of mortar lines, etc., etc... 

Still that's better than it appears out of the box no doubt...

Also here's Series 2:

http://64.34.172.56/g/albums/Zizzle/POTC/Series_2/1.jpg
http://64.34.172.56/g/albums/Zizzle/POTC/Series_2/2.jpg
http://64.34.172.56/g/albums/Zizzle/POTC/Series_2/3.jpg
http://64.34.172.56/g/albums/Zizzle/POTC/Series_2/4.jpg

The islander is kickass fodder, and so is the shark guy.  Really in general this wave is the best customizing bits and pieces, and just generally better work overall than Wave 1.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2006, 02:27 AM by Jesse James »

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 5, 2006, 11:40 AM »
JJ- the links state that I am forbidden to access this page.... :(
« Last Edit: August 5, 2006, 11:40 AM by jadesfire »
Beth

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 5, 2006, 02:32 PM »
I had to copy and paste them into my browser and then they came up.

That repainted playset is really looking good.  I agree, there's some additional work that can be done to it, but for a toy it looks pretty good. 

With the talent that guy seems to have for paint detail I'm sure he can take it up a few notches though.  Really make it a standout piece.

The fact that, except for the wood, he's only repainted it is a testament to how well it's sculpted by Zizzle.  That's one thing that has always intrigued me about some toys, they may not look great as-is, but a talented painter can bring out details in sculpts that are incredible.  Things that go unnoticed by kids and some collectors just because Hasbro, Mattel or some other company has to balance cost vs paint apps.

A prime example of that is the Obi-Wan Kenobi head sculpt on the Hasbro 12" figure back in '96 or 97.  It doesn't look terrible but I've seen some customizers repaint the face tones, eyes and highlight the hair and age wrinkles and the face rivals what Sideshow is doing now.  Unfortunately, after a few early head sculpts, and with only one or two exceptions (Dooku, Boushh Leia, there's also a Han), Hasbro pretty much booted every head they did from about 98/99 till the end of their run.

E...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #58 on: August 7, 2006, 01:22 AM »
Where zizzle's work with POTC has lacked, IMO, is that there are some proportional issues with figures...  Hands are bulky and bigger than need be, or a body that seems SLIGHTLY disproportionate.  The figures don't look like they're going fo ra super hero look to them so I can only imagine it's some lacking work from the sculptor.

Some of the likenesses in the line are on-par with Hasbro who I honestly feel do the best in this scale for character likeness. 

When I'm reviewing a figure (shameless plug) here for the site I honestly look harder at the sculpt than the paint at first because often times there are things iwth a sculpt that just need a better paintjob.  It's more true with the earlier years of SW than now...  For instance look at the TUsken Sniper painted for OTC...  YOu compare it with the original POTJ figure and it's literally night and day in terms of quality. 

Same with the Jawa 2-pack, and really even the Imperial Technician...  Look at the paintjob on the Tech's head from the Falcon set then from OTC...  You can barely tell it's the same sculpt.  Hasbro knows how to turn it up a notch when they want.

Granted the tech's sculpt was still lacking (buffness mostly) but even with some weathering, a better uniform color and the incredible paintjob on the head, the figure is 10x better and ALMOST acceptable...  I stress almost. ;)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2006, 04:00 PM »
Just to give everyone a heads up, I saw Series 2 of Zizzle POTC2 basic figures (Includes Norrington, Cannibal King Jack Sparrow, Maccus, and Cannibel Chief) at Target today. I picked up the Cannibal Chief.